ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Postwomen Toilet Break Suggestions
-
Williagea
- Posts: 23
- Joined: 15 Jun 2019, 21:36
- Gender: Female
Postwomen Toilet Break Suggestions
Hi all,
I am about to start a job as a postie and was worried about toilet breaks; I’ve seen posts about people using empty bottles but that seems more geared towards the men. Do any women have tips on how to relieve themselves on a route?
I am about to start a job as a postie and was worried about toilet breaks; I’ve seen posts about people using empty bottles but that seems more geared towards the men. Do any women have tips on how to relieve themselves on a route?
-
arnold cheshire
- Posts: 5309
- Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
- Gender: Male
- Location: england
Postwomen Toilet Break Suggestions
It can be a major problem
-
number one
- Posts: 1324
- Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
- Gender: Male
Postwomen Toilet Break Suggestions
Pubs, libraries, Doctors, Dentists cafes, schools, supermarkets will all let you use their toilets
-
lisag42
- Posts: 55
- Joined: 05 Apr 2019, 13:23
- Gender: Male
Postwomen Toilet Break Suggestions
I worry about that too, it made me have second thoughts about the job.Williagea wrote:Hi all,
I am about to start a job as a postie and was worried about toilet breaks; I’ve seen posts about people using empty bottles but that seems more geared towards the men. Do any women have tips on how to relieve themselves on a route?
Make sure you go before leaving, then keep your eyes open for potential pit stops whilst you are out & about. Places like shops, cafe, dr surgeries, etc. are usually kind enough to let you use their facilities, we deliver to a few care homes on our round and they usually let us use theirs. Even offices can be very obliging. Fortunately I’ve not been out on the country routes yet, but ask others in your office as they may know of suitable places.
Sadly it’s not so easy for us girlies when on the road, and even if we had the ‘equipment’ to use a bottle that’s pretty grim - even grimmer when you get to a van the next morning to find bottles of yellow liquid in the back!
Good luck
Last edited by lisag42 on 16 Jun 2019, 14:14, edited 1 time in total.
-
arnold cheshire
- Posts: 5309
- Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
- Gender: Male
- Location: england
Postwomen Toilet Break Suggestions
It can take time driving to the local supermarket on a town route
-
Scama_bug
- Posts: 35
- Joined: 30 Mar 2019, 22:43
- Gender: Male
Postwomen Toilet Break Suggestions
number one wrote:Pubs, libraries, Doctors, Dentists cafes, schools, supermarkets will all let you use their toilets
Unless you have none of them on your route or its Saturday morning and everything is closed.
If you're on a van is easy to find a toilet but if you're on a HCT round it could be difficult, I've done some walks where there are no toilets at all or any pubs/doctors etc.
I only drink water when I wake up and have my coffee too then I don't drink or eat anything so I won't need a toilet while out delivering , it works fine for me.
But imagine you have diarrhea and only have a few minutes to find a toilet.
I see colleagues drinking liters of water and eating before going out but I gotta play safe.
-
arnold cheshire
- Posts: 5309
- Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
- Gender: Male
- Location: england
Postwomen Toilet Break Suggestions
I'm not sure about the schoolsScama_bug wrote:number one wrote:Pubs, libraries, Doctors, Dentists cafes, schools, supermarkets will all let you use their toilets
Unless you have none of them on your route or its Saturday morning and everything is closed.
If you're on a van is easy to find a toilet but if you're on a HCT round it could be difficult, I've done some walks where there are no toilets at all or any pubs/doctors etc.
I only drink water when I wake up and have my coffee too then I don't drink or eat anything so I won't need a toilet while out delivering , it works fine for me.
But imagine you have diarrhea and only have a few minutes to find a toilet.![]()
![]()
![]()
I see colleagues drinking liters of water and eating before going out but I gotta play safe.
-
postmanzach
- Posts: 515
- Joined: 18 Jul 2011, 15:01
- Gender: Male
Postwomen Toilet Break Suggestions
How about those ‘she wee” things ladies use at festivals. Theres some with bottles so you can wee in it in your tent at night then go and empty it in the toilet in the morning.
-
number one
- Posts: 1324
- Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
- Gender: Male
Postwomen Toilet Break Suggestions
I’ve used staff toilets in schools many timesarnold cheshire wrote:I'm not sure about the schoolsScama_bug wrote:number one wrote:Pubs, libraries, Doctors, Dentists cafes, schools, supermarkets will all let you use their toilets
Unless you have none of them on your route or its Saturday morning and everything is closed.
If you're on a van is easy to find a toilet but if you're on a HCT round it could be difficult, I've done some walks where there are no toilets at all or any pubs/doctors etc.
I only drink water when I wake up and have my coffee too then I don't drink or eat anything so I won't need a toilet while out delivering , it works fine for me.
But imagine you have diarrhea and only have a few minutes to find a toilet.![]()
![]()
![]()
I see colleagues drinking liters of water and eating before going out but I gotta play safe.
-
yellowbelly
- Posts: 3728
- Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
- Gender: Male
Postwomen Toilet Break Suggestions
Yep, a lot of them, if not all, have controlled access and are rightly concerned about giving access to an 'outsider' - even if you've just delivered the post.arnold cheshire wrote:I'm not sure about the schoolsScama_bug wrote:number one wrote:Pubs, libraries, Doctors, Dentists cafes, schools, supermarkets will all let you use their toilets
Unless you have none of them on your route or its Saturday morning and everything is closed.
If you're on a van is easy to find a toilet but if you're on a HCT round it could be difficult, I've done some walks where there are no toilets at all or any pubs/doctors etc.
I only drink water when I wake up and have my coffee too then I don't drink or eat anything so I won't need a toilet while out delivering , it works fine for me.
But imagine you have diarrhea and only have a few minutes to find a toilet.![]()
![]()
![]()
I see colleagues drinking liters of water and eating before going out but I gotta play safe.
Cafes owners can be a bit 'funny' sometimes wrt using their toilets. All depends on the relationship you have with them and if it's your regular walk.
-
Postie45
- Posts: 2160
- Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
- Gender: Male
Postwomen Toilet Break Suggestions
if all else fails just return the office
-
PSC
- Posts: 2
- Joined: 21 Sep 2012, 05:29
- Gender: Male
Postwomen Toilet Break Suggestions
Nobody, men or women, should be peeing into bottles in the vans!
There should be somewhere on the walk where you can ask to use the toilet. Pubs, cafes, schools, librarys, public toilets, sports centres, shops... and if there are none of those then return to the office. If you're on an HCT route and there are no suitable (open even on saturday) toilet facilities then you need to speak to your manager to flag it as an issue.
There should be somewhere on the walk where you can ask to use the toilet. Pubs, cafes, schools, librarys, public toilets, sports centres, shops... and if there are none of those then return to the office. If you're on an HCT route and there are no suitable (open even on saturday) toilet facilities then you need to speak to your manager to flag it as an issue.
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
Postwomen Toilet Break Suggestions
I believe your walk log
should have notes of any toilet facilities on your walk. Really should have a sticker, like Dog Beware, perhaps a picture of a toilet
to stick on your frame. It's not a good idea to limit your fluid intake, especially during the hot weather. We had a girl go down with heat exhaustion where she'd not been drinking because she didn't want to have to find a loo.
It's just another one of those important things that never gets sorted out by lazy DOMS. Perhaps the CWU should organise a "Sit In" for National Toilet Week? 
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
-
Seymour Buts
- Posts: 1148
- Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
- Gender: Male
Postwomen Toilet Break Suggestions
Even if there isn't a toilet on that walk, if you're on a van share you can drive to a pub or supermarket. Your partner will know. A trolley job is likely more difficult if there isn't anything on route. You'd have to return to the office worst comes to worst.
Best way to avoid it is simply not drink too much. I have a coffee on route to work in a travel cup and one small bottle of water for my route. If you've got a dodgy stomach just call in sick!
Best way to avoid it is simply not drink too much. I have a coffee on route to work in a travel cup and one small bottle of water for my route. If you've got a dodgy stomach just call in sick!
-
rockgod11
- Posts: 3
- Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 09:54
- Gender: Male
Postwomen Toilet Break Suggestions
Toilet stops should be in 318s,walk log ,if no toilet stops on duty ,drive back to office.