ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Parental leave.

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
weary_posty
Posts: 225
Joined: 01 Jul 2011, 15:08
Gender: Male

Parental leave.

Post by weary_posty »

Hi,

I have a few questions about how parental leave works.

I informed my line manager about my wife’s pregnancy after we had our 20 week scan. Nothing official, just purposely dropped into conversation.
I also mentioned it to my DOM because we are thinking about taking shared parental leave.

We are now 15 weeks from our due date and I feel there should be some sort of form to fill or record of a due date?

Is shared parental leave separate from Paternity Pay? I booked some annual leave around the due date so will that overrun my annual leave or can it worked around it?
spen
Posts: 531
Joined: 18 Jan 2011, 19:53
Gender: Male

Parental leave.

Post by spen »

I think you have to give them a copy of your matb1 form ( I think it's called that,been a while) with 15 weeks notice
jzhowie
Posts: 9
Joined: 06 Jan 2016, 08:02
Gender: Male

Parental leave.

Post by jzhowie »

First off congratulations!

Yep, I did this last year.

Verbally informed DOM the wife was pregnant. Gave a copy of the Mat B form when we got it (at one of the scans)

Decided to take the 2 weeks paternity leave 1 week after the birth. Informed my DOM of this verbally at the same time as i handed in the Mat B form. This ended up clashing with a week of my annual leave. I got the leave back and I currently have it banked.

Wife went into Labour on the Saturday afternoon but no baby till the Sunday afternoon. Manager gave me the Monday off as a discretionary day, not out of leave.

Decided to take the Shared Parental Leave (SPL) after the birth.

Mother and father both have to inform their workplaces and submit forms with the details.

Both provided forms for us to fill out.

Wife also had to give notice to her work of the date she intended to end her Maternity leave which left 5 weeks spare.

Told my DOM, they gave me the forms RM have for SPL. Filled them out and gave them back.

We took the leave concurrently, so we were both off together for the whole of November (we went to Australia)

Couple of things to know.

You have to give 8 weeks notice before the commencement of the first period of SPL. NOT the birth, which my wifes HR department had a hard time understanding. After a bit of back and forth and threats of involving ACAS they relented.

As long as you only ask for 1 period of SPL they cannot legally deny it. So if you really wanted you could request December off and they can't deny it.

You get your normal contracted pay for the 2 weeks paternity, but only statutory during the SPL. Statutory is something like £150 a week.

Filling the forms out is a bit tricky, just take your time. Theres a standard form with a guide to filling it out which we found very useful on the ACAS website here. http://m.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=4911" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I scanned and emailed copies of the filled out forms to my DOM along with handing over the originals. Always helps to have a paper trail just in case the originals get 'lost'. Did the same with the wife's forms too.

Any questions send me a message and I'll do my best.