ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Failing SD Query

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
bru2313
Posts: 2
Joined: 01 Oct 2012, 14:21
Gender: Male

Failing SD Query

Post by bru2313 »

If you're responsible for an SD missing it's 1pm deadline, what exactly can happen - will it mean warnings or can it go straight to dismissal? Thanks.

(Apologies if there's another thread relating to this, if so point me in that direction, cheers.)
number one
Posts: 1324
Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
Gender: Male

Failing SD Query

Post by number one »

bru2313 wrote:If you're responsible for an SD missing it's 1pm deadline, what exactly can happen - will it mean warnings or can it go straight to dismissal? Thanks.

(Apologies if there's another thread relating to this, if so point me in that direction, cheers.)
How late was it? Why was it late?

If the customer hasn’t complained then pretty much nothing will be done. If they have complained then it could range from nothing to counselling. First time will never lead to dismissal
Mask
Posts: 18
Joined: 04 Sep 2017, 13:09
Gender: Male

Failing SD Query

Post by Mask »

Coaching if first time missing one I believe.

Well that's what I've seen happen to some lads in our office.
Ashley’s
Posts: 44
Joined: 16 May 2018, 18:59
Gender: Female

Failing SD Query

Post by Ashley’s »

I failed a special delivery 1pm when on probation, nothing happened but was told if it happened again I could go down the conduct road. I wouldn’t worry about it.
FirstPost
Posts: 675
Joined: 16 Aug 2018, 09:37
Gender: Female

Failing SD Query

Post by FirstPost »

how many SD failures does it take for dismissal?
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

Failing SD Query

Post by Postie45 »

I dont believe there is a set answer, I dont know of anyone being sacked purely for not delivering SDs on time. If the only thing youre doing wrong is not delivering SDs on time, id guess at 4 occurrences over 2 years or something.

First one warning
Second time conduct
Third time serious conduct
Fourth time possible dismissal

Id say the above would be reasonable, but ive known posties who have failed SDs 2 or 3 times in about 6 month period and havent even gotten to a conduct. So i think it would also vary by office and the DOM.
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

Failing SD Query

Post by Celgar »

Depends on the details of the offence. SDs are the top product within RM and messing up with them is the worst thing to do pretty much. One postie at our DO was dismissed after not delivering all the mail - 'cutting off' - and leaving SDs mixed in with said mail. There were additional reasons as well but a DOM can take a hard-line on this issue resulting in you coming close to losing your job.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
norris9
Posts: 2696
Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
Gender: Female

Failing SD Query

Post by norris9 »

What are the consequences for RM if a 1pm deadline is missed?...

I think it's a potential loss of future custom from the sender/receiver and a refund of the cost of postage. It doesn't seem that serious to me. Obviously it's not good to make these mistakes, but it doesn't seem like it would cause much harm to the company financially and reputationally unless it was a regular occurrence.

I guess a much worse thing to do would be to lose a special that has valuable contents inside as then RM could be paying out a lot of money and the sender/receiver would probably be irate.
Seymour Buts
Posts: 1148
Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

Failing SD Query

Post by Seymour Buts »

Slag on the wrist first time, don't worry about it.
Acca Dacca
Posts: 3221
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 17:13
Gender: Male

Failing SD Query

Post by Acca Dacca »

Shouldnt even be a service now we work later than 1pm. Was fine when earlier finishes. Should just be next day guaranteed.
If you tolerate this, then your paid break will be next
bru2313
Posts: 2
Joined: 01 Oct 2012, 14:21
Gender: Male

Failing SD Query

Post by bru2313 »

A mistake on my behalf was the cause of problem, and I'll be finding out next couple of days whether customer has complained or not, but thanks for all replies.
Route1
Posts: 369
Joined: 05 Jun 2015, 00:48
Gender: Female

Failing SD Query

Post by Route1 »

Back in the days of the ePOD cards I took out 3 SD and only had 2 on the ePOD when I got back. Told the manager and he says it happened to atleast two others that day. We must have posted them through the letterbox without noticing. Said nothing going to happen unless there was an official complaint.

The area / sector manager can see if its delivered after 1pm. But doubt they ever look at it cos they too busy with other work.

I remember we used to bundle the specials in the mail but its best to keep them in a separate tray now.
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

Failing SD Query

Post by Celgar »

norris9 wrote:What are the consequences for RM if a 1pm deadline is missed?...

I think it's a potential loss of future custom from the sender/receiver and a refund of the cost of postage. It doesn't seem that serious to me. Obviously it's not good to make these mistakes, but it doesn't seem like it would cause much harm to the company financially and reputationally unless it was a regular occurrence.

I guess a much worse thing to do would be to lose a special that has valuable contents inside as then RM could be paying out a lot of money and the sender/receiver would probably be irate.
Consequences for RM:
1) The full postage cost is refunded to the sender automatically.
2) I think there is a standard amount of compensation that is paid out automatically.
3) Compensation for the value of the contents if valuable would also be paid out.
4) Could be acted on by Ofcom/ the regulator if enough SD items are not delivered within specifications.
In addition if mail or particularly parcels are not delivered properly in different parts of the UK firms that use RM will be able to access that data. They will then use other couriers in those areas where it is suspected posties or DO are not providing a good service.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
number one
Posts: 1324
Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
Gender: Male

Failing SD Query

Post by number one »

Celgar wrote:
norris9 wrote:What are the consequences for RM if a 1pm deadline is missed?...

I think it's a potential loss of future custom from the sender/receiver and a refund of the cost of postage. It doesn't seem that serious to me. Obviously it's not good to make these mistakes, but it doesn't seem like it would cause much harm to the company financially and reputationally unless it was a regular occurrence.

I guess a much worse thing to do would be to lose a special that has valuable contents inside as then RM could be paying out a lot of money and the sender/receiver would probably be irate.
Consequences for RM:
1) The full postage cost is refunded to the sender automatically.
2) I think there is a standard amount of compensation that is paid out automatically.
3) Compensation for the value of the contents if valuable would also be paid out.
4) Could be acted on by Ofcom/ the regulator if enough SD items are not delivered within specifications.
In addition if mail or particularly parcels are not delivered properly in different parts of the UK firms that use RM will be able to access that data. They will then use other couriers in those areas where it is suspected posties or DO are not providing a good service.
If a special missed it’s 1pm delivery time only the cost of postage is refunded. How can it be “automatically”? The sender has to apply for a refund
Route1
Posts: 369
Joined: 05 Jun 2015, 00:48
Gender: Female

Failing SD Query

Post by Route1 »

Celgar wrote: Consequences for RM:
1) The full postage cost is refunded to the sender automatically.
Not automatically as I applied for it a month or two after it missed its delivery date by one day. They were documents so didnt really care if they arrived late as long as they werent lost. I only applied as my RM colleagues kept asking if I got my postage back. These days you must apply for a refund within 14 days.
2) I think there is a standard amount of compensation that is paid out automatically.
Standard compensation is upto £500 which again is only paid out if applied for. Compensation can be increased to £2500 with consequential loss to £10,000. Again you would have to apply for it and send receipts to prove financial loss etc. Tickets arriving 5 minutes late probably only get the postage reimbursed. Tickets arriving after the event which causes you to buy additional tickets, thats a whole different level of compensation.
Most customers (recipient) dont even know you can apply for compensation if late. They are happy just to get the item the next day.