Hi,
So I have seen in another chat that we should get £120 for the uniform cleaning added to our tax code. However, can someone tell me how it is £120 as I spoke to tax office today and they have only applied a fixed flat rate of £60 onto mine.
Thanks
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Uniform tax code help
-
arnold cheshire
- Posts: 5309
- Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
- Gender: Male
- Location: england
Uniform tax code help
If you don't earn enough to pay tax how can you benefit from it?
-
rogersh
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 1374
- Joined: 26 Oct 2011, 11:31
- Gender: Male
Uniform tax code help
I can only confirm that since I commenced employment with RM -tax year 2013-14- my PAYE Coding Notice automatically included Flat rate job expenses +£120.Charliechocx wrote:Hi,
So I have seen in another chat that we should get £120 for the uniform cleaning added to our tax code. However, can someone tell me how it is £120 as I spoke to tax office today and they have only applied a fixed flat rate of £60 onto mine.
Thanks
This amount is explained Note 2. Flat Rate Job Expenses - This is the tax relief for expenses associated with your employment for things like tools and specialist clothing.
I would call again & ask them to explain why you have been applied with half the standard amount.
-
yellowbelly
- Posts: 3728
- Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
- Gender: Male
Uniform tax code help
My rate is 120 too, but looking on the Govt. website the 'Standard' amount is £60 allowance, so I don't know why some are 120 and then the OP has been told 60.rogersh wrote:I can only confirm that since I commenced employment with RM -tax year 2013-14- my PAYE Coding Notice automatically included Flat rate job expenses +£120.Charliechocx wrote:Hi,
So I have seen in another chat that we should get £120 for the uniform cleaning added to our tax code. However, can someone tell me how it is £120 as I spoke to tax office today and they have only applied a fixed flat rate of £60 onto mine.
Thanks
This amount is explained Note 2. Flat Rate Job Expenses - This is the tax relief for expenses associated with your employment for things like tools and specialist clothing.
I would call again & ask them to explain why you have been applied with half the standard amount.
The table for specific occupations is on the Govt. website here: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/job-expense ... laim-table" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; but
RM/Postal staff are not specifically listed.
-
rogersh
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 1374
- Joined: 26 Oct 2011, 11:31
- Gender: Male
Uniform tax code help
The notes on Coding notice for 2013-14 states;
[3.We agree that £120 is the amount of tax relief you are due for the expense that you are likely to have to pay out when you are doing your job. You will get tax relief for this amount at the highest rate of tax you pay. For example this could include laundry costs of uniforms or protective clothing.]
I was not aware The standard flat-rate expense allowance for uniform maintenance is £60 (2019/20) - I do not know why i (& others) are given double that amount.
[3.We agree that £120 is the amount of tax relief you are due for the expense that you are likely to have to pay out when you are doing your job. You will get tax relief for this amount at the highest rate of tax you pay. For example this could include laundry costs of uniforms or protective clothing.]
I was not aware The standard flat-rate expense allowance for uniform maintenance is £60 (2019/20) - I do not know why i (& others) are given double that amount.
-
arnold cheshire
- Posts: 5309
- Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
- Gender: Male
- Location: england
Uniform tax code help
Thanks Everyone for the help
-
Charliechocx
- Posts: 4
- Joined: 07 Apr 2019, 00:24
- Gender: Female
Uniform tax code help
Thank you for your responses.
-
arnold cheshire
- Posts: 5309
- Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
- Gender: Male
- Location: england
Uniform tax code help
So how does this help low paid workers?
-
yellowbelly
- Posts: 3728
- Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
- Gender: Male
Uniform tax code help
arnold cheshire wrote:So how does this help low paid workers?
Answered your own question - you wouldn't. Appears to be unfair I know, however, (and I'm not an expert on tax credits)arnold cheshire wrote:If you don't earn enough to pay tax how can you benefit from it?
but I would imagine someone who earns less than the personal tax allowance is eligible for tax credits - whereas
the person who gets the uniform tax rebate of 12 quid possibly isn't. Some might be eligible for both?
CEO's of big companies who make a loss on their investments can offset the loss against other gains (no names
mentioned here) - I think we can agree that the tax system in this country has issues........
-
arnold cheshire
- Posts: 5309
- Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
- Gender: Male
- Location: england
Uniform tax code help
Thanks yellow belly I'm not sure about a single person paying full council tax and £400 rent Doing average 30 hrs a week getting universal credityellowbelly wrote:arnold cheshire wrote:So how does this help low paid workers?Answered your own question - you wouldn't. Appears to be unfair I know, however, (and I'm not an expert on tax credits)arnold cheshire wrote:If you don't earn enough to pay tax how can you benefit from it?
but I would imagine someone who earns less than the personal tax allowance is eligible for tax credits - whereas
the person who gets the uniform tax rebate of 12 quid possibly isn't. Some might be eligible for both?
CEO's of big companies who make a loss on their investments can offset the loss against other gains (no names
mentioned here) - I think we can agree that the tax system in this country has issues........