ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
A heads up regarding PDA data & walk design.
-
Celgar
- Posts: 2795
- Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
- Gender: Male
A heads up regarding PDA data & walk design.
Since reading about RM accessing information from the emergency services to develop walk design software our DOM has told us they are looking to use the PDA data instead. Apparently the responsibility for this will be moved to individual office DOMs via the PDA data.
Therefore we all need to think about keeping the PDA with us wherever possible and maximise the amount of time the device is on the move. The more distance the device travels the longer your walk will be seen to be. If we all remember this then we can go a fair way to defending ourselves and our jobs. This is potentially a piece of good news floating in an ocean of bad & depressing news.
Therefore we all need to think about keeping the PDA with us wherever possible and maximise the amount of time the device is on the move. The more distance the device travels the longer your walk will be seen to be. If we all remember this then we can go a fair way to defending ourselves and our jobs. This is potentially a piece of good news floating in an ocean of bad & depressing news.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
-
k979aaa
- Posts: 12578
- Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
- Gender: Male
- Location: THE NORTH
A heads up regarding PDA data & walk design.
Just don't go floating in the Irish sea or Bristol Channel or the English channel or north sea with it turned on or you would have time to spare!Celgar wrote:Since reading about RM accessing information from the emergency services to develop walk design software our DOM has told us they are looking to use the PDA data instead. Apparently the responsibility for this will be moved to individual office DOMs via the PDA data.
Therefore we all need to think about keeping the PDA with us wherever possible and maximise the amount of time the device is on the move. The more distance the device travels the longer your walk will be seen to be. If we all remember this then we can go a fair way to defending ourselves and our jobs. This is potentially a piece of good news floating in an ocean of bad & depressing news.
-
worktotime
- Posts: 2866
- Joined: 14 May 2010, 20:47
- Gender: Male
A heads up regarding PDA data & walk design.
well that will be a first then a dim using pda data a nationally agreed work tool
this has been live for months and our dim hasn't used it so what will change , has any dim in any office used it ?
-
Postie45
- Posts: 2160
- Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
- Gender: Male
A heads up regarding PDA data & walk design.
maybe they havent used it yet, but theres no reason that all of the data isnt stored and cant be used going forward. If postie A has been completing his duty on average in 3.5 hours every Wednesday over a few years on PDA actuals, thats strong evidence for how long that delivery typically takes on a Wednesday. To me thats better data than any use of computers to draw out deliveries which RM were doing before. But its going to create a situation where some people are making rods for their own backs.
-
themailman
- Posts: 399
- Joined: 09 Jun 2010, 21:05
- Gender: Male
A heads up regarding PDA data & walk design.
I always thought the data that they would use would be how long you can do the duty in, rather than how long (in miles etc) that you are walking about for.
-
k979aaa
- Posts: 12578
- Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
- Gender: Male
- Location: THE NORTH
A heads up regarding PDA data & walk design.
They will use drops points as a measure of speed and average it out but they will use the high side of average speed but we all know people are of different speeds because of age disability injury or just because they are to diligent or plain slow. But even the best will slow as they age instead of using data why cannot managers get off their fat arses and keep up with even the slowest postie the only time I see one move is when their coffee cup is empty!themailman wrote:I always thought the data that they would use would be how long you can do the duty in, rather than how long (in miles etc) that you are walking about for.
-
worktotime
- Posts: 2866
- Joined: 14 May 2010, 20:47
- Gender: Male
A heads up regarding PDA data & walk design.
I agree but the problem is when you've gotPostie45 wrote:maybe they havent used it yet, but theres no reason that all of the data isnt stored and cant be used going forward. If postie A has been completing his duty on average in 3.5 hours every Wednesday over a few years on PDA actuals, thats strong evidence for how long that delivery typically takes on a Wednesday. To me thats better data than any use of computers to draw out deliveries which RM were doing before. But its going to create a situation where some people are making rods for their own backs.
-
smileski
- Posts: 185
- Joined: 16 Aug 2007, 17:38
A heads up regarding PDA data & walk design.
The problem with all this PDA data is that their are people making long heavy walks look a lot easier than they actually are by cutting corners etc, but you also have people dragging out easy duties. Both situations make the data pointless and as soon as the is a re-sign jobs will look uneven again!
-
Trail
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 162
- Joined: 01 Dec 2016, 19:54
- Gender: Male
A heads up regarding PDA data & walk design.
The only time our office managers used PDA data is if a parcel/packet went missing.
It happened to me once. I was as clean as a whistle. The parcel turned up.
Everyone in our office knew I was the quickest thing on two legs and would 95% of the time finish well ahead of time, they never needed to check my PDA for anything else other than parcels gone astray. There wasn't anyone in our office who was quicker than me, and I was bounced from duty to duty to duty so familiarity with the route wasn't an issue. I still beat the c*nt out of everyone in our office (Doncaster).
And I listen to people on here moaning about fatigue or fitness. Get out of those CAT or Magnum shoes, get a decent pair of Nike Revolution 3 trainers on you and just go for it. I wouldn't touch any Royal Mail shoes at all. Would you expect Usain Bolt to run around in CAT boots? No, you wouldn't, so why expect people doing a half-marathon every day to do the same? As soon as I realised this I was knocking shitloads of time off of every bag I delivered.
It happened to me once. I was as clean as a whistle. The parcel turned up.
Everyone in our office knew I was the quickest thing on two legs and would 95% of the time finish well ahead of time, they never needed to check my PDA for anything else other than parcels gone astray. There wasn't anyone in our office who was quicker than me, and I was bounced from duty to duty to duty so familiarity with the route wasn't an issue. I still beat the c*nt out of everyone in our office (Doncaster).
And I listen to people on here moaning about fatigue or fitness. Get out of those CAT or Magnum shoes, get a decent pair of Nike Revolution 3 trainers on you and just go for it. I wouldn't touch any Royal Mail shoes at all. Would you expect Usain Bolt to run around in CAT boots? No, you wouldn't, so why expect people doing a half-marathon every day to do the same? As soon as I realised this I was knocking shitloads of time off of every bag I delivered.
-
worktotime
- Posts: 2866
- Joined: 14 May 2010, 20:47
- Gender: Male
A heads up regarding PDA data & walk design.
well doneTrail wrote:The only time our office managers used PDA data is if a parcel/packet went missing.
It happened to me once. I was as clean as a whistle. The parcel turned up.
Everyone in our office knew I was the quickest thing on two legs and would 95% of the time finish well ahead of time, they never needed to check my PDA for anything else other than parcels gone astray. There wasn't anyone in our office who was quicker than me, and I was bounced from duty to duty to duty so familiarity with the route wasn't an issue. I still beat the c*nt out of everyone in our office (Doncaster).
And I listen to people on here moaning about fatigue or fitness. Get out of those CAT or Magnum shoes, get a decent pair of Nike Revolution 3 trainers on you and just go for it. I wouldn't touch any Royal Mail shoes at all. Would you expect Usain Bolt to run around in CAT boots? No, you wouldn't, so why expect people doing a half-marathon every day to do the same? As soon as I realised this I was knocking shitloads of time off of every bag I delivered.
-
k979aaa
- Posts: 12578
- Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
- Gender: Male
- Location: THE NORTH
A heads up regarding PDA data & walk design.
And they wonder why the job is FU*KED!
-
worktotime
- Posts: 2866
- Joined: 14 May 2010, 20:47
- Gender: Male
A heads up regarding PDA data & walk design.
f***ing bell end comes to mind mate .k979aaa wrote:And they wonder why the job is FU*KED!
-
aiden01
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 7001
- Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
- Gender: Male
A heads up regarding PDA data & walk design.
Fool comes to mind an thats being niceTrail wrote:The only time our office managers used PDA data is if a parcel/packet went missing.
It happened to me once. I was as clean as a whistle. The parcel turned up.
Everyone in our office knew I was the quickest thing on two legs and would 95% of the time finish well ahead of time, they never needed to check my PDA for anything else other than parcels gone astray. There wasn't anyone in our office who was quicker than me, and I was bounced from duty to duty to duty so familiarity with the route wasn't an issue. I still beat the c*nt out of everyone in our office (Doncaster).
And I listen to people on here moaning about fatigue or fitness. Get out of those CAT or Magnum shoes, get a decent pair of Nike Revolution 3 trainers on you and just go for it. I wouldn't touch any Royal Mail shoes at all. Would you expect Usain Bolt to run around in CAT boots? No, you wouldn't, so why expect people doing a half-marathon every day to do the same? As soon as I realised this I was knocking shitloads of time off of every bag I delivered.
-
norris9
- Posts: 2696
- Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
- Gender: Female
A heads up regarding PDA data & walk design.
If they are looking at PDA actuals to decide if our walks are fair or not, then surely that is a good thing...
I think on average I finish on time....but have no time for a break. So based on PDA actuals they should cut a loop out so I can fit in a break.
I think on average I finish on time....but have no time for a break. So based on PDA actuals they should cut a loop out so I can fit in a break.
-
Celgar
- Posts: 2795
- Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
- Gender: Male
A heads up regarding PDA data & walk design.
I understand what you are saying and am somewhat guilty of the same thing. When we do things like coming in early or not take part or all of our breaks then we are covering up a problem in RM. We need to test the job to destruction and if there isn't enough time to complete the duty on a regular basis then this needs to be chased up and fixed.norris9 wrote:If they are looking at PDA actuals to decide if our walks are fair or not, then surely that is a good thing...
I think on average I finish on time....but have no time for a break. So based on PDA actuals they should cut a loop out so I can fit in a break.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.