ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Lads?
-
Celgar
- Posts: 2795
- Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
- Gender: Male
Lads?
The actual job is enjoyable even, in a sick way, in the pouring down rain! It's the high up bods in RM, and to a lesser extent the union, that give us the stress and **** us off.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
-
aiden01
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 7001
- Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
- Gender: Male
Lads?
And you working over your time pisses off a lot of people on here why work for free. CWU'S fault??,Celgar wrote:The actual job is enjoyable even, in a sick way, in the pouring down rain! It's the high up bods in RM, and to a lesser extent the union, that give us the stress and **** us off.
-
norris9
- Posts: 2696
- Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
- Gender: Female
Lads?
I personally don't mind 'working for free'.....as long as I am leaving early as much as I am leaving late and it at least balances out evenly or in my favour....then it's fine....
I am sure there are people that regularly leave early because they have an easy round, and I guess RM is saying to themselves "Why are we paying them for nothing", just like Posties are saying "Why work for free".
If I was averaging a late finish of 15 mins+ and had no time for a break, then I'd be pissed off and I would say something to management and try to get a loop taken off my walk...
I am sure there are people that regularly leave early because they have an easy round, and I guess RM is saying to themselves "Why are we paying them for nothing", just like Posties are saying "Why work for free".
If I was averaging a late finish of 15 mins+ and had no time for a break, then I'd be pissed off and I would say something to management and try to get a loop taken off my walk...
-
norris9
- Posts: 2696
- Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
- Gender: Female
Lads?
Do the managers ever sit down with newbies in private and see how they are getting on, give feedback, and also listen to the newbies feedback?
Do they do this will any Posties? I'd at least have thought newbies would have chats with management like this at least once in the first 1-2 months.
Do they do this will any Posties? I'd at least have thought newbies would have chats with management like this at least once in the first 1-2 months.
-
postmanzach
- Posts: 515
- Joined: 18 Jul 2011, 15:01
- Gender: Male
Lads?
Not really that tough now a days imo. Compared to starting at 5am and cycling miles up hill with a heavy bike just to get started on delivery. Now I work 8-4 with long weekends off every 4 weeks. Take my breaks and enjoy the exercise and all the weather. Happy days.
-
rambo1
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 3266
- Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
- Gender: Male
Lads?
How can you have no time for a break? Take your break or at least half, and if you're late, claim. Why would you not?norris9 wrote:I personally don't mind 'working for free'.....as long as I am leaving early as much as I am leaving late and it at least balances out evenly or in my favour....then it's fine....
I am sure there are people that regularly leave early because they have an easy round, and I guess RM is saying to themselves "Why are we paying them for nothing", just like Posties are saying "Why work for free".
If I was averaging a late finish of 15 mins+ and had no time for a break, then I'd be pissed off and I would say something to management and try to get a loop taken off my walk...
-
Woody Guthrie
- Posts: 5166
- Joined: 29 Sep 2018, 20:47
- Gender: Male
Lads?
I think the job is on the whole harder than it was 25 years ago but easier than it was 15 years ago if that makes sense to anyone.postmanzach wrote:Not really that tough now a days imo. Compared to starting at 5am and cycling miles up hill with a heavy bike just to get started on delivery. Now I work 8-4 with long weekends off every 4 weeks. Take my breaks and enjoy the exercise and all the weather. Happy days.
For those that don't understand 15 years ago was around "peak mail" time, sky mags every month, gas bills and phone bills for every door, no sequenced mail so everything was a manual sort headfuck, parcels were increasing and nothing to take the weight off the shoulder, deliveries were around 3.30 but that was all heavy carrying time( we didn't even have a bike ), 6 days a week with a 5 am start.
That was in my opinion when the job was at its worst.
Only dead fish follow the current
-
norris9
- Posts: 2696
- Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
- Gender: Female
Lads?
Imagine a postie who has been working for RM for a long time, who never takes breaks, who gets pissed off at a newbie because it took 1 minute to resolve an error they made.....then imagine that newbie just stopping to take a 30 minute break. How do you think that's going to go down?rambo1 wrote:How can you have no time for a break? Take your break or at least half, and if you're late, claim. Why would you not?
Then imagine the newbie requesting/taking a 30 minute break to one of these posties who is frothing at the gash to get back to the depot to do ghost overtime.
Then imagine the newbie postie requesting/taking a 30 minute break with a postie who wants to get home to pick up his kids from school when that postie knows there is no time to fit in a break.
It's impossible.
On top of that we don't have these skipedy doo daa day rounds where you finish at 1pm everyday. A lot of the rounds are 1 loop too much.
Aren't you supposed to agree to getting paid overtime before you go out? as I am a newbie I don't dictate how long it will take us and if we are likely to go over our time. The duty holder knows best so I leave them to decide, but on one duty we always go over....and we never claim overtime, can I claim?
If I was doing my round alone then I'd take a break and if I was always finishing late, then I'd speak with a manager and prove to them I am working fast, taking my break entitlement and I'd try to get a loop taken off, but it's going to be tough to do that when I am most likely going to be working with another postie - of the types I listed above.
Last edited by norris9 on 12 May 2019, 07:15, edited 2 times in total.
-
Ren Hoëk
- Posts: 737
- Joined: 01 Feb 2018, 12:19
- Gender: Male
Lads?
I absolutely understand what you are saying. But my god, I personally would 100% take my break and love to see their muggy little faces.norris9 wrote:Imagine a postie who has been working for RM for a long time, who never takes breaks, who gets pissed off at a newbie because it took 1 minute to resolve an error they made.....then imagine that newbie just stopping to take a 30 minute break. How do you think that's going to go down?rambo1 wrote:How can you have no time for a break? Take your break or at least half, and if you're late, claim. Why would you not?
Then imagine the newbie requesting/taking a 30 minute break to one of these posties who is frothing at the gash to get back to the depot to do ghost overtime.
Then imagine the newbie postie requesting/taking a 30 minute break with a postie who wants to get home to pick up his kids from school when that postie knows there is no time to fit in a break.
It's impossible.
On top of that we don't have these skipedy doo daa day rounds where you finish at 1pm everyday. A lot of the rounds are 1 loop too much.
Aren't you supposed to agree to getting paid overtime before you go out? as I am a newbie I don't dictate how long it will take us and if we are likely to go over our time. The duty holder knows best so I leave them to decide, but on one duty I do we always go over....and we never claim overtime, can I claim?
If I was doing my round alone then I'd take a break and if I was always finishing late, then I'd speak with a manager a prove to them I am working fast, taking my break entitlement and get a loop taken off, but it's going to be tough to do that when I am most likely going to be working with another postie - of the types I listed above.
If your partner says anything that could be perceived as intimidation. Take it straight to your boss. It is them who has the problem. Not you. If it continues, Escalate it. Keep an accurate diary the whole time. If it continues. Seek private legal advice. People (within the company and outside of it) have fought very hard for these rights, We should protect them.
-
norris9
- Posts: 2696
- Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
- Gender: Female
Lads?
Although not what a break is designed for, but what do you think about skipping breaks and instead leaving early. I think this is how many Posties play it (if they can), they effectively take their break at the end of the round by getting to go home early. I'd prefer to do the same, but the thing is - I am not having a break and I am not leaving early. I either leave on time or leave late with zero breaks.Ren Hoëk wrote:I absolutely understand what you are saying. But my god, I personally would 100% take my break and love to see their muggy little faces.
If your partner says anything that could be perceived as intimidation. Take it straight to your boss. It is them who has the problem. Not you. If it continues, escalate it. Keep an accurate diary the whole time. If it continues. Seek private legal advice. People (within the company and outside of it) have fought very hard for these rights, We should protect them.
I will see how things go. Out on the walk I'm more or less as fast as I can be. At the depot I am a fair bit slower at bagging up and especially sorting mail into slots. Some time can be made up here, maybe 10 minutes on a typical day, but when there is a tonne of sorting of mail and packages to do when I come in, that costs us a lot of time. But in time, once I get a bit quicker and have experienced a wider variety of walks then I will have a better idea of whether we are overworked or not, whether I can squeeze in a break or not, and then, if not, I can have that conversation with a manager. I think it's too early days to be having that conversation.
Another thing is...apparently Full Timers are entitled to a 20 minute break during the round....Part Timers are entitled to a 30 minute break. It doesn't make much sense.