ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
POAL payments, are they worth it?
-
FirstPost
- Posts: 675
- Joined: 16 Aug 2018, 09:37
- Gender: Female
POAL payments, are they worth it?
POAL payments. I am paying £10.50/£11.00 a week to take me up to 30 days annual leave from 22.5 days, this works out a lot of money over the year considering I will be paying it until April 2020? Do you think it is worth it to purchase the extra?
-
mickeymacca
- Posts: 503
- Joined: 21 Jun 2012, 18:03
- Gender: Male
POAL payments, are they worth it?
It depends what value you place on holidays, I think its definitely worth it, and is a great perk, however I'm sure there's loads that would prefer to not have any holidays at all and work 52 weeks of the year. Its not compulsory so it's up to you. I'm wondering if it was a benefit that was negotiated by the Union?
'Libraries gave us power'
-
twoloops
- Posts: 2036
- Joined: 24 May 2017, 20:52
- Gender: Male
- Location: Sheffield
POAL payments, are they worth it?
I used to buy holidays, but like you I did find it quite excessive, plus I ended up wasting the days because all the peak weeks had already been taken, I do not work any overtime, but my manager knows I will do it if they are desperate, but I have it as time in leu or pick the day I require & get it in writing.
-
rambo1
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 3266
- Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
- Gender: Male
POAL payments, are they worth it?
I'd purchase more if I could! Depends how much you need the money . Makes me laugh when people purchase extra leave then work their days off. Can't figure that one out. The amount it costs adds up to paying yourself for the extra days off, there's no premium being paid. When you've been there 20 yrs you won't have to worry as you'll have the full 6 weeks 'free'...... unless they change it.
-
south London postie
- Posts: 127
- Joined: 14 Jan 2016, 10:54
- Gender: Male
POAL payments, are they worth it?
Is the £10.50-£11.00 deduction tax free or after tax?
-
grchpo
- Posts: 488
- Joined: 16 Mar 2019, 13:59
- Gender: Male
POAL payments, are they worth it?
Used to buy extra leave but now as we get 13 - 14 weeks a year had trouble fitting anymore in
-
Woody Guthrie
- Posts: 5166
- Joined: 29 Sep 2018, 20:47
- Gender: Male
POAL payments, are they worth it?
south London postie wrote:Is the £10.50-£11.00 deduction tax free or after tax?
It's taken off before tax, it has to be because basically all you are doing when you purchase leave is taking unpaid leave but spreading the cost over the entire year rather than having a week with no wages.
Only dead fish follow the current
-
midegarelu
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 414
- Joined: 12 Sep 2009, 07:09
- Gender: Male
- Location: somewhere over the rainbow
POAL payments, are they worth it?
mickeymacca wrote:It depends what value you place on holidays, I think its definitely worth it, and is a great perk, however I'm sure there's loads that would prefer to not have any holidays at all and work 52 weeks of the year. Its not compulsory so it's up to you. I'm wondering if it was a benefit that was negotiated by the Union?
Agree with you, definitely worth every penny to get the extra time off.
Not certain but I think it was part of the Way Forward agreement.
"We employ you so we can sack you"
-
Celgar
- Posts: 2795
- Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
- Gender: Male
POAL payments, are they worth it?
I think it used to be six quid when I paid it. The POAL is generally thought to be a no brainer, the union support it, & if the union did conceive it then it's one of their better ideas. I would recommend doing it but not if you don't like time off work.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
-
arnold cheshire
- Posts: 5309
- Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
- Gender: Male
- Location: england
POAL payments, are they worth it?
Funnygrchpo wrote:Used to buy extra leave but now as we get 13 - 14 weeks a year had trouble fitting anymore in
-
grchpo
- Posts: 488
- Joined: 16 Mar 2019, 13:59
- Gender: Male
POAL payments, are they worth it?
5 weeks holiday plus a Rota week off every 6 weeks, work it out !!!
-
aiden01
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 7001
- Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
- Gender: Male
POAL payments, are they worth it?
On wallington weeks obviouslyarnold cheshire wrote:Funnygrchpo wrote:Used to buy extra leave but now as we get 13 - 14 weeks a year had trouble fitting anymore in
-
Navalron
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1044
- Joined: 12 Aug 2017, 10:40
- Gender: Male
- Location: Glasgow
POAL payments, are they worth it?
A couple of weeks sick every year cost nothing. Keep it under your 12 days, no stages. They don't think any better off you if you don't or do take sick leave. Your just a number. 
-
rambo1
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 3266
- Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
- Gender: Male
POAL payments, are they worth it?
Lucky you. Thought everyone was meant to be going 1 in 6?grchpo wrote:5 weeks holiday plus a Rota week off every 6 weeks, work it out !!!
-
rambo1
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 3266
- Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
- Gender: Male
POAL payments, are they worth it?
So what do you do when you're 'off sick' ? Can't exactly go on holiday. You do know managers look at this site too. Great work ethic though, nice to see you're supporting all your fellow workers, costing the business money and possibly eventual job losses. Keep up the good work.Navalron wrote:A couple of weeks sick every year cost nothing. Keep it under your 12 days, no stages. They don't think any better off you if you don't or do take sick leave. Your just a number.