ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Delivering to flats

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
misstmac
Posts: 86
Joined: 10 Jan 2019, 09:40
Gender: Female

Delivering to flats

Post by misstmac »

Have been given conflicting advice regarding delivering mail to flats. One person has told me that you deliver to each individual property regardless, another has told me that if the block has a post box on the main entrance that you can post through that (something to do with first point of delivery?).

Just wanting to know what the ‘official’ line is.

Thanks in advance
leolion855
Posts: 641
Joined: 11 Jun 2018, 17:41
Gender: Male

Delivering to flats

Post by leolion855 »

Can you get access to all the flats?
misstmac
Posts: 86
Joined: 10 Jan 2019, 09:40
Gender: Female

Delivering to flats

Post by misstmac »

Not a round I’ve done yet so not sure as of yet. Just want to make sure I’m not following the wrong advice by either making the job longer than it need to be or cutting corners and ending up with a complaint from a customer. Just want to be armed with the FACTS and not just someone’s opinion
1617mel
Posts: 172
Joined: 11 Oct 2017, 15:13
Gender: Male

Delivering to flats

Post by 1617mel »

normal procedure is deliver to all points ie each letter box, to maintain the security of the mail, heard the stories about the mail going through the first point of delivery
then someone has come along and opened other peoples mail, causing a complaint to RM. then the procedure of delivering to all points of delivery applies,to maintain the security of peoples mail.unfortunately more time is taken, but the new conditions about finish on your time and no earlier, all these details help ie endorsing mail [no entry with the date] especially to flats with a secure entry system all helps to ensure that the job is done to time. hope this helps
misstmac
Posts: 86
Joined: 10 Jan 2019, 09:40
Gender: Female

Delivering to flats

Post by misstmac »

Thanks, that’s makes absolute sense 1617mel :thumbup
glenfiddich
Posts: 1012
Joined: 03 Oct 2007, 13:15

Delivering to flats

Post by glenfiddich »

If there's a letterbox on the main door do you then open main door and check individual flats for letterboxes :whistle
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

Delivering to flats

Post by Celgar »

You need to ask the 'regular postie' or your DOM as this can vary from place to place. I think in most cases there will be individual postboxes either at each door or in a block of pigeonholes. Some residential complexes with wardens will have one delivery point but the majority have individual letterboxes on each door.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
Hadabellyfull
Posts: 3
Joined: 07 Mar 2019, 20:48
Gender: Male

Delivering to flats

Post by Hadabellyfull »

First point of delivery is fine.
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

Delivering to flats

Post by arnold cheshire »

misstmac wrote:Have been given conflicting advice regarding delivering mail to flats. One person has told me that you deliver to each individual property regardless, another has told me that if the block has a post box on the main entrance that you can post through that (something to do with first point of delivery?).

Just wanting to know what the ‘official’ line is.

Thanks in advance
Basically do they have letter boxes on doors or in the lobby?
misstmac
Posts: 86
Joined: 10 Jan 2019, 09:40
Gender: Female

Delivering to flats

Post by misstmac »

There is a letterbox on the main door to enter the flats, then each individual flat has its own letterbox too
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

Delivering to flats

Post by arnold cheshire »

misstmac wrote:There is a letterbox on the main door to enter the flats, then each individual flat has its own letterbox too
You can't just shove up to hundred flats mail through one letter box
misstmac
Posts: 86
Joined: 10 Jan 2019, 09:40
Gender: Female

Delivering to flats

Post by misstmac »

Should have pointed out that these are small blocks, between 4 - 8 properties in each.

I have no problem doing it either way, I just want to do it the RIGHT way. No one seems to be able to give me a definitive answer in my DO. Some saying you deliver to the first letterbox, others saying it must be to the individual property. Think I will stick with my original thought of each individual property unless I’m told otherwise by the DOM. Would rather have an ear bashing for being ‘too slow’ than one for a customer complaint.

Thanks for all the advice
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

Delivering to flats

Post by arnold cheshire »

misstmac wrote:Should have pointed out that these are small blocks, between 4 - 8 properties in each.

I have no problem doing it either way, I just want to do it the RIGHT way. No one seems to be able to give me a definitive answer in my DO. Some saying you deliver to the first letterbox, others saying it must be to the individual property. Think I will stick with my original thought of each individual property unless I’m told otherwise by the DOM. Would rather have an ear bashing for being ‘too slow’ than one for a customer complaint.

Thanks for all the advice
Either way do you think it's acceptable shoving four flats mail through one letter box ?
misstmac
Posts: 86
Joined: 10 Jan 2019, 09:40
Gender: Female

Delivering to flats

Post by misstmac »

I am new to the role and have been told by different colleagues, who have all been doing the job for years, conflicting advice. I simply came here to ask what the correct, OFFICIAL procedure is.

My only experience of delivery to flats has been a small block on my round who only have a communal letterbox not individual ones to each property.

Not sure why you feel the need to try and belittle me arnold cheshire. Either way I will so as I stated in my previous post :roll:
yellowbelly
Posts: 3728
Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
Gender: Male

Delivering to flats

Post by yellowbelly »

misstmac wrote:I am new to the role and have been told by different colleagues, who have all been doing the job for years, conflicting advice. I simply came here to ask what the correct, OFFICIAL procedure is.

My only experience of delivery to flats has been a small block on my round who only have a communal letterbox not individual ones to each property.

Not sure why you feel the need to try and belittle me arnold cheshire. Either way I will so as I stated in my previous post :roll:
misstmac - best way I resolve these situations for myself is - 'If my new bank card it's associated PIN were due through the post (different letters but often received
for delivery on the same day!), how would I prefer them to be delivered.....?'