ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Tax code changed

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
kev1967
Posts: 7
Joined: 22 Mar 2012, 12:35
Gender: Male

Tax code changed

Post by kev1967 »

Hi just wondering has anyone claimed the government uniform tax as I did about 2 weeks ago?
Still not received anything yet but today my tax code has gone down from 1197L/0 to 1191L/0 losing me £12.50 this week.
Is this linked to the claim? or has the code changed for everyone? as I thought the claim would adjust in my favour.
Thanks
RobertT
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 6696
Joined: 09 Sep 2007, 14:26
Gender: Male

Tax code changed

Post by RobertT »

The personal tax allowance for 2018/19 is £11,850 and the uniform cleaning allowance is £120. So if your tax code is 1197 it means you're already getting the allowance for cleaning your uniform. In practice you're getting an extra £24 in your pocket each year.

But I'm afraid I don't know why your tax code has gone down. Perhaps you've not paid enough tax somewhere along the way?
Links to all RM pension related websites are here
Daveg50
Posts: 40
Joined: 02 Jun 2016, 19:48
Gender: Male

Tax code changed

Post by Daveg50 »

Just clamed my uniform cleaning allowance a couple of weeks ago and had a new adjusted tax code for 2019/2020. Your personal allowance after 6th April is going up to £12500, this is the amount of money you can earn before you pay tax. With the uniform cleaning allowance my new tax code is 1256L. Hope this helps.
kev1967
Posts: 7
Joined: 22 Mar 2012, 12:35
Gender: Male

Tax code changed

Post by kev1967 »

Thanks all have claimed for the last 5 years at £60 a year and as yet have heard nothing so unless I was already receiving this unbeknown to me I have no idea why my code has gone down.
Is it possible that it will sort itself out in 3 weeks time when new tax code comes into play?