ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Paternity leave during Bank Holidays

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
mrpostie
Posts: 2
Joined: 28 Dec 2010, 06:48
Gender: Male

Paternity leave during Bank Holidays

Post by mrpostie »

I am currently on paternity leave and am due to resume this Thursday. I took off the first two weeks as paternity and added a week of my annual leave to the end of making three weeks leave in total. I was just wondering that as there was three bank Holidays during my leave (Christmas eve, day and new years eve) would I be able to add these three days to the end of my leave. Cheers for your help all.
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

Paternity leave during Bank Holidays

Post by aiden01 »

mrpostie wrote:I am currently on paternity leave and am due to resume this Thursday. I took off the first two weeks as paternity and added a week of my annual leave to the end of making three weeks leave in total. I was just wondering that as there was three bank Holidays during my leave (Christmas eve, day and new years eve) would I be able to add these three days to the end of my leave. Cheers for your help all.
Doubt it but no harm in asking.
Navalron
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1044
Joined: 12 Aug 2017, 10:40
Gender: Male
Location: Glasgow

Paternity leave during Bank Holidays

Post by Navalron »

Yes your still entitled to them. Why wouldn't you be.
rambo1
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3266
Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
Gender: Male

Paternity leave during Bank Holidays

Post by rambo1 »

If they were on your annual leave, yes. If they were part of your paternity leave, then no I wouldn't have thought so as they won't be able to be offset against your annual leave entitlement on PSP.
You don't actually get a day back now for an annual leave week, you just use up the hours for the other days that week, so say your scheduled rest day was Wednesday on a bank holiday Monday week, you'd have the hrs of Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday taken off your entitlement. Hope that makes sense, and congratulations btw.
spen
Posts: 531
Joined: 18 Jan 2011, 19:53
Gender: Male

Paternity leave during Bank Holidays

Post by spen »

Whilst on paternity leave any bank holiday should be credited back to you,,, when your dom will let you take them is a different question
Woody Guthrie
Posts: 5166
Joined: 29 Sep 2018, 20:47
Gender: Male

Paternity leave during Bank Holidays

Post by Woody Guthrie »

As bank holidays form part of your 5.6 weeks statutory annual leave refusing to credit them back to you would be unlawful.
Only dead fish follow the current
Woody Guthrie
Posts: 5166
Joined: 29 Sep 2018, 20:47
Gender: Male

Paternity leave during Bank Holidays

Post by Woody Guthrie »

grchpo wrote:Christmas eve & New years eve are not bank holidays
I'm assuming he means 25th and 26th December and 1st January.
Only dead fish follow the current
mrpostie
Posts: 2
Joined: 28 Dec 2010, 06:48
Gender: Male

Paternity leave during Bank Holidays

Post by mrpostie »

grchpo wrote:Christmas eve & New years eve are not bank holidays
Sorry, I should have said I work nights so I would have had both of these nights off as they roll into bank Holidays.