ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

What can I use during dog's attack ?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Pancake123
Posts: 34
Joined: 06 Nov 2018, 06:58
Gender: Female

What can I use during dog's attack ?

Post by Pancake123 »

Hello everyone,
It might be a stupid question, but I am wondering how to prevent dog’s bite.
Today I was attacked by two dogs (one property) ,Thank God I was quicker and escaped :confused
Nothing happened this time but just in case, Do you guys buying for example pepper gas or any other animal deterrent spray? Any ideas how to defend yourself ?
Decky Boy
Posts: 440
Joined: 22 May 2009, 10:00
Gender: Male

What can I use during dog’s attack ?

Post by Decky Boy »

What were you told to do at your induction ? Why not ask any questions then ???
crimson king
Posts: 783
Joined: 20 Aug 2017, 16:37
Gender: Male

What can I use during dog’s attack ?

Post by crimson king »

To be fair, what you are told at your induction and what the job really entails are two totally different things

To the OP...I doubt very much you'd be able to use peppers spray, lol. I feel your frustration and I'd like to arm myself with a Glock on my duty, but I think we'd be opening ourselves to a lot of litigation if we start spraying/shooting customer's four legged friends.

No matter how tempting that might be at times....
Sooner or later, a beat dog bites.
Acca Dacca
Posts: 3221
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 17:13
Gender: Male

What can I use during dog’s attack ?

Post by Acca Dacca »

Mailmen and women in the US carry spray im sure
If you tolerate this, then your paid break will be next
crimson king
Posts: 783
Joined: 20 Aug 2017, 16:37
Gender: Male

What can I use during dog’s attack ?

Post by crimson king »

Acca Dacca wrote:Mailmen and women in the US carry spray im sure
Different culture though. Guns are more prevalent too (not posties though, lol). Just don't see the public or RM buying the idea of the British postie carrying cans of mace on their belt.

Don't get me wrong though....if someone here posts we can, I'm buying off the internet tomorrow :nana
Sooner or later, a beat dog bites.
Decky Boy
Posts: 440
Joined: 22 May 2009, 10:00
Gender: Male

What can I use during dog’s attack ?

Post by Decky Boy »

This ain't the USA. Ultimately there is very little we can do if a big mad aggressive dog is having a bad day and wants a piece of you. Avoidance is our best defence. Just don't enter buildings where there is a known aggressive animal and don't stick your fingers through the letterbox.
Your mail satchel can be a good friend if cornered. Hold it in front of you and if need be boot it into the dog's face ! I've had to do this ! ! ! On a loop where I had no mail-bag I've had to defend myself with only a bundle of mail !

Spraying gas into a dog's eyes may seem like good idea but it will likely only make the owner irate...and there's a good chance they'll ( the owner) want to give you a kicking also. What to do to prevent and during a dog attack ain't straightforward. Use anything at your disposal to avoid injury to yourself.
Murdoch
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 572
Joined: 11 Apr 2018, 16:55
Gender: Male

What can I use during dog’s attack ?

Post by Murdoch »

I've always thought this is a significant law suit waiting to happen.

It's fairly clear that Royal Mail fails in it's duty of care to protect posties from Dog attacks. I feel woefully unprepared to deal with a Dog attack, I've had literally no relevent training, or even basic advice.

I don't even know what reasonable force I can use to deal with such an attack. As such, I would act as I would act outside work, and I would kick the living s**t out any animal that attacked me, and I'd probably be in significant trouble afterwards.

Not a good situation, considering how common dog attacks are.
Sir Henry
Posts: 1316
Joined: 24 Oct 2014, 00:33
Gender: Male

What can I use during dog’s attack ?

Post by Sir Henry »

Due to the magic properties of the dog stick any injury sustained from a dog is obviously your fault.
Keep your bag between you and the animal, if it's a small dog take it off and lower it to the ground so the wee s**t can't get underneath. I have indeed bounced a bundle of mail off the head of a dogue de Bordeaux. It didn't stop it, but it gave it pause enough for me to get out of the gate before it rallied itself.
"A third of the world's farmland is now useless due to soil degradation, yet we still keep producing mouths to feed. And what's you answer to that? Energy saving lightbulbs?"
Phantom
Posts: 1234
Joined: 27 Dec 2007, 18:17
Gender: Female
Location: New York

What can I use during dog’s attack ?

Post by Phantom »

Report the attack to your DOM, don't deliver to the address until the DOM has been out and spoken to the occupants.

Get health and safety involved and the unit rep.


You can use any force necessary against any dog if they attack you.
CUT OFF!!!
Chalky13
Posts: 155
Joined: 10 Nov 2018, 05:29
Gender: Male

What can I use during dog’s attack ?

Post by Chalky13 »

I was bitten on the back of the leg last Monday, it’s now 10 days later and still my manager nor union have completed any paperwork for me.

It drew blood, large bruising left. The dog was on a lead, leapt from the other side of the owner, bit my coat, then leg as it went behind me.

When talking with the owner, it went for me again.

I’ve now passed the details to a solicitor as an insurance claim as RM and Union have done f**k all
CPTNemoUK
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 707
Joined: 03 Oct 2013, 10:13
Gender: Male

What can I use during dog’s attack ?

Post by CPTNemoUK »

Slap it with your dog peg. All seriousness. Not alot, if possible run. If they get you I would say stick your thumb in the eye or boot the fooker has hard has you can. Also report todays incident to your dom. To try and stop it happening again.
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

What can I use during dog’s attack ?

Post by arnold cheshire »

Phantom wrote:Report the attack to your DOM, don't deliver to the address until the DOM has been out and spoken to the occupants.

Get health and safety involved and the unit rep.


You can use any force necessary against any dog if they attack you.
Report to dog warden f the manger
joewyan
Posts: 382
Joined: 28 Jun 2016, 22:56
Gender: Male

What can I use during dog’s attack ?

Post by joewyan »

Definitely run is the best answer, if a small dog you can normally use your feet to protect yourself and kick it if necessary.
Decky Boy
Posts: 440
Joined: 22 May 2009, 10:00
Gender: Male

What can I use during dog’s attack ?

Post by Decky Boy »

I would not recommend running unless you know for sure you can get to a place of safety ( inside a building or other side of gate) before the dog gets to you :crazy: Best to face up to the hound and back away slowly ??? More often than not the owner will be near-by and have some sort of control over the badly trained beast... running just triggers and heightens the dog's natural instinct. Not advisable :no no
LaggyBand
Posts: 1065
Joined: 29 Jun 2015, 14:07
Gender: Male

What can I use during dog’s attack ?

Post by LaggyBand »

Definitely don’t use your pen as a knife or your PDA as a brick...