ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Doing the job properly
-
cookiewise
- Posts: 101
- Joined: 16 Sep 2018, 09:31
- Gender: Female
- Location: over the hills and far away
Doing the job properly
Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, I'm a newbie with 9 weeks under my pouch.
I see a lot of posts mentioning "doing the job properly"
Is this detailed anywhere that you can point me to? I'd love to read how the job should be done and compare it with what I'm doing.
Might show me where I'm going wrong as I am still struggling to complete my route within my contracted hours.
Thanks
I see a lot of posts mentioning "doing the job properly"
Is this detailed anywhere that you can point me to? I'd love to read how the job should be done and compare it with what I'm doing.
Might show me where I'm going wrong as I am still struggling to complete my route within my contracted hours.
Thanks
-
DrSatan
- Posts: 144
- Joined: 23 Jun 2017, 19:11
- Gender: Male
Doing the job properly
It should have been coached to you when you started. But generally you shadow someone and end up picking up their habits and end up finding your own in time.
There isn't a comprehensive list as such that I know of but I'll attempt you list a few things.
Not reading the mail while walking. You're suppose to stand still while flick checking.
Using a trolley, unless already using an HCT.
No safe placing parcels unless stated on the parcel.
Not signing for recipients. (It happens alot, and some 'recipients' actually want the postie to do it).
Don't speed when driving.
Taking your break.
Not cutting through gardens/drives.
I'm sure there will be plenty more to add...
There isn't a comprehensive list as such that I know of but I'll attempt you list a few things.
Not reading the mail while walking. You're suppose to stand still while flick checking.
Using a trolley, unless already using an HCT.
No safe placing parcels unless stated on the parcel.
Not signing for recipients. (It happens alot, and some 'recipients' actually want the postie to do it).
Don't speed when driving.
Taking your break.
Not cutting through gardens/drives.
I'm sure there will be plenty more to add...
-
osgoody1970
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 360
- Joined: 21 Jun 2011, 13:44
- Gender: Male
Doing the job properly
and all of the above will add 2 hours onto your delivery!!!!
-
cookiewise
- Posts: 101
- Joined: 16 Sep 2018, 09:31
- Gender: Female
- Location: over the hills and far away
Doing the job properly
Thanks DrSatan - thanks for the list and for taking the trouble to reply.
A lot of these definitely slow me down!
Most of the houses on my route have gates and a path but the few whose gardens adjoin with no wall and no gates I do walk across. Seems silly not to.
I always read the mail while moving otherwise stopping each time would take forever!
I use a very heavy HCT but fill a pouch with mail and parcels and try to take a full loop, returning to the trolley to refill as little as possible as that slows me down.
"SAFEPLACE" never seems to be explained on the parcel (or PDA) as to where the customer means. I have informal arrangements with some customers now who are happy if I leave parcels in their bunker, wendy house in the garden etc.
I never take my break. There is no toilet en route nor is there anywhere I could sit so I am on the move the whole time.
So I think that so far, I am doing the job properly. I cover 15km in just under 5 hours, which means a speed of around 3km/hr but obviously that's stopping to drop/deliver/refill etc so I think my speed is okay. Is it? Boss keeps telling me I'm too slow.
A lot of these definitely slow me down!
Most of the houses on my route have gates and a path but the few whose gardens adjoin with no wall and no gates I do walk across. Seems silly not to.
I always read the mail while moving otherwise stopping each time would take forever!
I use a very heavy HCT but fill a pouch with mail and parcels and try to take a full loop, returning to the trolley to refill as little as possible as that slows me down.
"SAFEPLACE" never seems to be explained on the parcel (or PDA) as to where the customer means. I have informal arrangements with some customers now who are happy if I leave parcels in their bunker, wendy house in the garden etc.
I never take my break. There is no toilet en route nor is there anywhere I could sit so I am on the move the whole time.
So I think that so far, I am doing the job properly. I cover 15km in just under 5 hours, which means a speed of around 3km/hr but obviously that's stopping to drop/deliver/refill etc so I think my speed is okay. Is it? Boss keeps telling me I'm too slow.
-
hothothot
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 422
- Joined: 06 Sep 2016, 13:15
- Gender: Male
Doing the job properly
Don't forget talking to pensioners.
-
cookiewise
- Posts: 101
- Joined: 16 Sep 2018, 09:31
- Gender: Female
- Location: over the hills and far away
Doing the job properly
I love that RM is so out of touch with the community role of the postie.hothothot wrote:Don't forget talking to pensioners.
It's like they live on another planet. The same one that the RM official induction lives on.
-
panch1989
- Posts: 104
- Joined: 25 Jul 2014, 07:44
- Gender: Male
Doing the job properly
If your DOM says you're slow, ask him to accompany you and time the job. Probably too big and he will not bother you anymore
-
DrSatan
- Posts: 144
- Joined: 23 Jun 2017, 19:11
- Gender: Male
Doing the job properly
Your manager is just being an ahole, don't take any notice. Its just a way to try and push you to work faster. They are under big pressure to cut overtime, save money etc... unfortunately as the foot soldiers we take the sh*t that's been passed through the many tiers of management. This is what leads to the bullying that is so rife within RM.
-
cookiewise
- Posts: 101
- Joined: 16 Sep 2018, 09:31
- Gender: Female
- Location: over the hills and far away
Doing the job properly
He says I'm too slow prepping too - so I was tempted to ask him to show me the fast way.panch1989 wrote:If your DOM says you're slow, ask him to accompany you and time the job. Probably too big and he will not bother you anymore
He'd never accompany me. He has far too many cigarettes to smoke, cups of coffee to drink and phone calls to make.
-
yellowbelly
- Posts: 3727
- Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
- Gender: Male
Doing the job properly
When you trip or slip because you didn't notice the uneven path/pavement and you're off work, whose going to get the blame?cookiewise wrote: I always read the mail while moving otherwise stopping each time would take forever!
The recommended method is to deliver letters for an address, immediately look at the next letter for the next address you're going to, walk
there, checking for slip and trip hazards then flick check to get all the letters for that address and repeat ad nauseum.
There are weight limits for loading HCT and individual pouches - do you know them? Are you aware you can only leave a HCT unattended for a certain amount of timecookiewise wrote: I use a very heavy HCT but fill a pouch with mail and parcels and try to take a full loop, returning to the trolley to refill as little as possible as that slows me down.
(from a mail security point of view) Do you leave specials in it? Are all the locks serviceable?
After nine weeks I wouldn't take the risks above - as soon as one goes missing you're under the spotlight whilse still under probation.cookiewise wrote:... I have informal arrangements with some customers now who are happy if I leave parcels in their bunker, wendy house in the garden etc.
This is bad management - in the walk log (if you can find it) it should be listed where you can find a toilet. Make sure you take a break before you leavecookiewise wrote: I never take my break. There is no toilet en route nor is there anywhere I could sit so I am on the move the whole time.
and book any untaken break time.
Sorry to sound harsh but not really........cookiewise wrote:So I think that so far, I am doing the job properly.
They always do - their bonus depends on spending the least amount of budget on overtime they can. You're bound to be slow at this point.cookiewise wrote:Boss keeps telling me I'm too slow.
If you do the job properly now (flick check at the door, not cutting across gardens etc.) you will get faster doing the job 'properly'.
If you're trying to be fast now and not doing the job 'properly' you will be expected to get faster anyway but you will only be able to do that by taking more risks.
If you haven't done so already - join the Union and continue to use these forums. You get loads of good gen on how to do the job correctly
and when managers are attempting to take the mick.
-
DrSatan
- Posts: 144
- Joined: 23 Jun 2017, 19:11
- Gender: Male
Doing the job properly
Be careful with this as there are specific security rules regarding leaving the HCT unattended. I can't find the link, I'm sure someone will add it.cookiewise wrote: I use a very heavy HCT but fill a pouch with mail and parcels and try to take a full loop, returning to the trolley to refill as little as possible as that slows me down.
It states you can only leave it upto 10 minutes. Less time in less desirable areas. Locked onto something inmovable. And must carry all SD items on you when away from HCT. There is more but I can't remember of the top of my head.
As mentioned by a previous poster, following the 'rules' will add more time to a delivery. Pick and chose which rules you want to follow but just be careful as when/if something goes wrong it will be your fault and your job on the line.
-
JKSmudge
- Posts: 395
- Joined: 26 Mar 2015, 13:39
- Gender: Male
Doing the job properly
They actually mean ' Doing the job CORRECTLY'cookiewise wrote: I see a lot of posts mentioning "doing the job properly"
-
Brandy
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 729
- Joined: 12 Sep 2011, 21:03
- Gender: Female
Doing the job properly
I shouldnt they would be knackered!panch1989 wrote:If your DOM says you're slow, ask him to accompany you and time the job. Probably too big and he will not bother you anymore
-
cookiewise
- Posts: 101
- Joined: 16 Sep 2018, 09:31
- Gender: Female
- Location: over the hills and far away
Doing the job properly
Thanks yellowbelly.yellowbelly wrote:When you trip or slip because you didn't notice the uneven path/pavement and you're off work, whose going to get the blame?cookiewise wrote: I always read the mail while moving otherwise stopping each time would take forever!
The recommended method is to deliver letters for an address, immediately look at the next letter for the next address you're going to, walk
there, checking for slip and trip hazards then flick check to get all the letters for that address and repeat ad nauseum.
There are weight limits for loading HCT and individual pouches - do you know them? Are you aware you can only leave a HCT unattended for a certain amount of timecookiewise wrote: I use a very heavy HCT but fill a pouch with mail and parcels and try to take a full loop, returning to the trolley to refill as little as possible as that slows me down.
(from a mail security point of view) Do you leave specials in it? Are all the locks serviceable?
After nine weeks I wouldn't take the risks above - as soon as one goes missing you're under the spotlight whilse still under probation.cookiewise wrote:... I have informal arrangements with some customers now who are happy if I leave parcels in their bunker, wendy house in the garden etc.
This is bad management - in the walk log (if you can find it) it should be listed where you can find a toilet. Make sure you take a break before you leavecookiewise wrote: I never take my break. There is no toilet en route nor is there anywhere I could sit so I am on the move the whole time.
and book any untaken break time.
Sorry to sound harsh but not really........cookiewise wrote:So I think that so far, I am doing the job properly.
They always do - their bonus depends on spending the least amount of budget on overtime they can. You're bound to be slow at this point.cookiewise wrote:Boss keeps telling me I'm too slow.
If you do the job properly now (flick check at the door, not cutting across gardens etc.) you will get faster doing the job 'properly'.
If you're trying to be fast now and not doing the job 'properly' you will be expected to get faster anyway but you will only be able to do that by taking more risks.
If you haven't done so already - join the Union and continue to use these forums. You get loads of good gen on how to do the job correctly
and when managers are attempting to take the mick.
I have never been instructed on any of the above. No idea specials had to stay on you at all times and there's no way to secure the HCT. I was given a tiny - thin cabled padlock thing - which I wouldn't consider secure enough for my bicycle. It wasn't long enough to go round a lamp-post. It disappeared in the DO after about 3 days. No idea what happened to it. I have not been told about time restrictions for leaving the HCT unattended. These are all things that should have been covered at either my induction or the couple of days when I shadowed an OPG.
I found the walk log but it's terribly out of date and is simply a list of postcodes, omitting a lot of my route. No toilets are anywhere near my walk and are not listed on the log (surprise surprise). The closest is a public toilet about 20mins walk from my route (all downhill there, uphill back). I would have to take my HCT. It would add 45mins to my route and I would DEFINITELY be pulled up for it. I see the weight limits written on the HCT but have no idea how to weigh the thing and nobody else in the DO weighs theirs. No idea how heavy a stuffed pouch is, but some days I have bruising on my shoulder and struggle to reach those pesky low level letter boxes.
Oh dear.
-
DrSatan
- Posts: 144
- Joined: 23 Jun 2017, 19:11
- Gender: Male
Doing the job properly
Don't try to carry heavy bags to save time for RM, it's not worth the injuries. Your health comes before the bosses bonus! I know your new and trying to impress, I've been there, done that and now learnt but you don't do yourself any favours by trying to rush around.cookiewise wrote: I have never been instructed on any of the above. No idea specials had to stay on you at all times and there's no way to secure the HCT. I was given a tiny - thin cabled padlock thing - which I wouldn't consider secure enough for my bicycle. It wasn't long enough to go round a lamp-post. It disappeared in the DO after about 3 days. No idea what happened to it. I have not been told about time restrictions for leaving the HCT unattended. These are all things that should have been covered at either my induction or the couple of days when I shadowed an OPG.
I found the walk log but it's terribly out of date and is simply a list of postcodes, omitting a lot of my route. No toilets are anywhere near my walk and are not listed on the log (surprise surprise). The closest is a public toilet about 20mins walk from my route (all downhill there, uphill back). I would have to take my HCT. It would add 45mins to my route and I would DEFINITELY be pulled up for it. I see the weight limits written on the HCT but have no idea how to weigh the thing and nobody else in the DO weighs theirs. No idea how heavy a stuffed pouch is, but some days I have bruising on my shoulder and struggle to reach those pesky low level letter boxes.
Oh dear.
This is why this forum is so good for new posties as it has a wealth of information that can help you.
I'm sure you would have been given the information, but buried in a 200+ page booklet that your expected to read in your own time of course.