ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Sick pay/holidays or unpaid leave?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
simplythebest
Posts: 12
Joined: 11 Oct 2018, 19:10
Gender: Male

Sick pay/holidays or unpaid leave?

Post by simplythebest »

I need to have varicose veins removed (more for medical reasons than cosmetic). The Doc says I will need at least a week off to recover (preferably two) and that he'll give me a sick note. I can self-certificate for one week.

How do I approach a manager about this? Do I just tell him I need to have a procedure done and will require time off? Will I get sick pay for this? Or should I have this procedure done during booked holidays?
number one
Posts: 1324
Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
Gender: Male

Sick pay/holidays or unpaid leave?

Post by number one »

simplythebest wrote:I need to have varicose veins removed (more for medical reasons than cosmetic). The Doc says I will need at least a week off to recover (preferably two) and that he'll give me a sick note. I can self-certificate for one week.

How do I approach a manager about this? Do I just tell him I need to have a procedure done and will require time off? Will I get sick pay for this? Or should I have this procedure done during booked holidays?
How long have you been with the business?
simplythebest
Posts: 12
Joined: 11 Oct 2018, 19:10
Gender: Male

Sick pay/holidays or unpaid leave?

Post by simplythebest »

number one wrote:
simplythebest wrote:I need to have varicose veins removed (more for medical reasons than cosmetic). The Doc says I will need at least a week off to recover (preferably two) and that he'll give me a sick note. I can self-certificate for one week.

How do I approach a manager about this? Do I just tell him I need to have a procedure done and will require time off? Will I get sick pay for this? Or should I have this procedure done during booked holidays?
How long have you been with the business?
I've been with RM for 3 years.
number one
Posts: 1324
Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
Gender: Male

Sick pay/holidays or unpaid leave?

Post by number one »

simplythebest wrote:
number one wrote:
simplythebest wrote:I need to have varicose veins removed (more for medical reasons than cosmetic). The Doc says I will need at least a week off to recover (preferably two) and that he'll give me a sick note. I can self-certificate for one week.

How do I approach a manager about this? Do I just tell him I need to have a procedure done and will require time off? Will I get sick pay for this? Or should I have this procedure done during booked holidays?
How long have you been with the business?
I've been with RM for 3 years.
Take your note from the Doctor, hand it in to your Dom and tell them you will be off soon for an operation and you will be off work for a number of weeks. You will only be back when you feel ready. You WILL get paid sick pay and you do NOT have to take it as annual leave.
simplythebest
Posts: 12
Joined: 11 Oct 2018, 19:10
Gender: Male

Sick pay/holidays or unpaid leave?

Post by simplythebest »

number one wrote:
simplythebest wrote:
number one wrote:
simplythebest wrote:I need to have varicose veins removed (more for medical reasons than cosmetic). The Doc says I will need at least a week off to recover (preferably two) and that he'll give me a sick note. I can self-certificate for one week.

How do I approach a manager about this? Do I just tell him I need to have a procedure done and will require time off? Will I get sick pay for this? Or should I have this procedure done during booked holidays?
How long have you been with the business?
I've been with RM for 3 years.
Take your note from the Doctor, hand it in to your Dom and tell them you will be off soon for an operation and you will be off work for a number of weeks. You will only be back when you feel ready. You WILL get paid sick pay and you do NOT have to take it as annual leave.
Thanks :thumbup
rehabron
Posts: 1372
Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
Gender: Male

Sick pay/holidays or unpaid leave?

Post by rehabron »

simplythebest wrote:I need to have varicose veins removed (more for medical reasons than cosmetic). The Doc says I will need at least a week off to recover (preferably two) and that he'll give me a sick note. I can self-certificate for one week.

How do I approach a manager about this? Do I just tell him I need to have a procedure done and will require time off? Will I get sick pay for this? Or should I have this procedure done during booked holidays?
Your length of service that you have given entitles you to full sick pay for up to 6 months on your contracted hours.
You advise your manager that you have been diagnosed with varicose veins that could be the result of continuous walking with a heavy load and in order to correct this surgery is required to offset you from increasing absences.
The medical certificate will cover you for the surgery and recovery time and if insufficient you revisit your doctor for an extension to your recovery time.
You will no doubt be pressurised to return to work before sick line runs out and to give your consent for an OH referral which I suggest you should give but any decision to return to work earlier than anticipated should be wisely thought or you may aggrevate your condition.
The pretence of returning to light duties should also be considered carefully.