ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Seniority Advice Needed

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
GPostie
Posts: 6
Joined: 09 Oct 2018, 20:14
Gender: Male

Seniority Advice Needed

Post by GPostie »

I realise I should be posting this topic in the Parcelforce section of royalmailchat but it is usually quite unresponsive and was hoping I could get advice here. I have recently transferred from Royal Mail to Parcelforce (2 months ago) and have over 7 years service so that has carried with me over to Parcelforce. I have initially been put on a 20 hour a week contract. Since being at Parcelforce for this short time a vacancy has arisen for a full time contract ( 39 hours ) covering a particular route.

I applied for this route but was informed I wasn’t successful. I have since found out the employee who got the route has less service than me and it appears I have been overlooked. He has done this route for a while and knows it well but should that mean he gets picked for it before me?

Can anyone give advice on what I should do next?
Should I take this to the union?
number one
Posts: 1324
Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
Gender: Male

Seniority Advice Needed

Post by number one »

Was the other person already on a 39 hour contract?
GPostie
Posts: 6
Joined: 09 Oct 2018, 20:14
Gender: Male

Seniority Advice Needed

Post by GPostie »

number one wrote:Was the other person already on a 39 hour contract?
Yes. But the applications were open to anyone on any level of contract.
eric the viking
PARCELFORCE
Posts: 228
Joined: 01 Oct 2012, 20:49
Gender: Male
Location: south west

Seniority Advice Needed

Post by eric the viking »

I would say if you were on a full-time contract, yes you should have got it but as you are only on a 20hr contract and the job is 39, then no.
Did they say why you were passed over?
eric the viking
PARCELFORCE
Posts: 228
Joined: 01 Oct 2012, 20:49
Gender: Male
Location: south west

Seniority Advice Needed

Post by eric the viking »

I see someone asked whilst I was typing. Yes, go to the Union that's what you pay your subs for.
GPostie
Posts: 6
Joined: 09 Oct 2018, 20:14
Gender: Male

Seniority Advice Needed

Post by GPostie »

eric the viking wrote:I would say if you were on a full-time contract, yes you should have got it but as you are only on a 20hr contract and the job is 39, then no.
Did they say why you were passed over?
Why should I not have got it if applications were invited from all levels of staff and there was a full time vacancy because someone had left??
number one
Posts: 1324
Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
Gender: Male

Seniority Advice Needed

Post by number one »

GPostie wrote:
eric the viking wrote:I would say if you were on a full-time contract, yes you should have got it but as you are only on a 20hr contract and the job is 39, then no.
Did they say why you were passed over?
Why should I not have got it if applications were invited from all levels of staff and there was a full time vacancy because someone had left??
They always open it to everybody but in reality only people who are already on the 39 hr wouks get it. They will just say they are not prepared to put any more hours in (which they would have to if they made you up to full time)
I would imagine that the reason you weren’t successful was because you are 20 hours and they needed a 39 hour person
GPostie
Posts: 6
Joined: 09 Oct 2018, 20:14
Gender: Male

Seniority Advice Needed

Post by GPostie »

number one wrote:
GPostie wrote:
eric the viking wrote:I would say if you were on a full-time contract, yes you should have got it but as you are only on a 20hr contract and the job is 39, then no.
Did they say why you were passed over?
Why should I not have got it if applications were invited from all levels of staff and there was a full time vacancy because someone had left??
They always open it to everybody but in reality only people who are already on the 39 hr wouks get it. They will just say they are not prepared to put any more hours in (which they would have to if they made you up to full time)
I would imagine that the reason you weren’t successful was because you are 20 hours and they needed a 39 hour person
I was specifically told by the depot manager to apply for this role because I had 7 years service and had the chance to go full time. He also said I had a very high chance of getting it because it was based on seniority.
rehabron
Posts: 1372
Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
Gender: Male

Seniority Advice Needed

Post by rehabron »

GPostie wrote:
number one wrote:
GPostie wrote:
eric the viking wrote:I would say if you were on a full-time contract, yes you should have got it but as you are only on a 20hr contract and the job is 39, then no.
Did they say why you were passed over?
Why should I not have got it if applications were invited from all levels of staff and there was a full time vacancy because someone had left??
They always open it to everybody but in reality only people who are already on the 39 hr wouks get it. They will just say they are not prepared to put any more hours in (which they would have to if they made you up to full time)
I would imagine that the reason you weren’t successful was because you are 20 hours and they needed a 39 hour person
I was specifically told by the depot manager to apply for this role because I had 7 years service and had the chance to go full time. He also said I had a very high chance of getting it because it was based on seniority.
Why did the depot manager not do the hiring?
Did the advertisement mention absence stage reviews or conduct issues that would deter the applicant from being accepted and I am assuming that this is not relevant in your case.
All job vacanacies are open to F/T and P/T staff.
You will have to take this matter to your union to why you have been overlooked and given an adequate explanation rather than being advised that you have been unsuccessful as you hold seniority over the successful applicant.
GPostie
Posts: 6
Joined: 09 Oct 2018, 20:14
Gender: Male

Seniority Advice Needed

Post by GPostie »

rehabron wrote:
GPostie wrote:
number one wrote:
GPostie wrote:
eric the viking wrote:I would say if you were on a full-time contract, yes you should have got it but as you are only on a 20hr contract and the job is 39, then no.
Did they say why you were passed over?
Why should I not have got it if applications were invited from all levels of staff and there was a full time vacancy because someone had left??
They always open it to everybody but in reality only people who are already on the 39 hr wouks get it. They will just say they are not prepared to put any more hours in (which they would have to if they made you up to full time)
I would imagine that the reason you weren’t successful was because you are 20 hours and they needed a 39 hour person
I was specifically told by the depot manager to apply for this role because I had 7 years service and had the chance to go full time. He also said I had a very high chance of getting it because it was based on seniority.
Why did the depot manager not do the hiring?
Did the advertisement mention absence stage reviews or conduct issues that would deter the applicant from being accepted and I am assuming that this is not relevant in your case.
All job vacanacies are open to F/T and P/T staff.
You will have to take this matter to your union to why you have been overlooked and given an adequate explanation rather than being advised that you have been unsuccessful as you hold seniority over the successful applicant.
I’m not sure why the hiring wasn’t done by the depot manager but he wasn’t involved in the selection process. I’ve worked at Royal Mail a long time now and have never had any conduct issues or periods of sick absence so this couldn’t go against me.
I will have to see what the union say to this matter.
number one
Posts: 1324
Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
Gender: Male

Seniority Advice Needed

Post by number one »

It’s open to everyone because if no full timer applied the it would work it’s way down to part time staff.
crazyshrew
Posts: 584
Joined: 19 Jun 2011, 16:58
Gender: Female
Location: Coastal, South West

Seniority Advice Needed

Post by crazyshrew »

It is unlawful to treat part time staff differently to full time.
In theory this would be an easy one to win if it went as far as a tribunal; getting to that point would be the hard part.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
number one
Posts: 1324
Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
Gender: Male

Seniority Advice Needed

Post by number one »

crazyshrew wrote:It is unlawful to treat part time staff differently to full time.
In theory this would be an easy one to win if it went as far as a tribunal; getting to that point would be the hard part.
They haven’t been treated differently. There’s full time roles and part time roles. If there’s no scope for an hour increase in the unit then it’s unfortunate but it wouldn’t fall under unfair treatment
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16700
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Seniority Advice Needed

Post by clashcityrocker »

So if the person on the 39 hour contract has taken the role you applied for what has happened to their job?
Isn't there still a full time vacancy?
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.