ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Handing mail back and then finishing early
-
jd9442
- Posts: 218
- Joined: 22 Apr 2017, 20:57
- Gender: Male
Handing mail back and then finishing early
If misjudging the mail, handing a bag or two back, then finishing half an hour early, obviously they can make us stay until the finishing time but can it be misconduct?
-
number one
- Posts: 1324
- Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
- Gender: Male
-
superports
- Posts: 171
- Joined: 05 Nov 2009, 09:15
- Gender: Male
Handing mail back and then finishing early
Let the manager make the shout on how much to leave.
-
Yamr1
- Posts: 625
- Joined: 04 Feb 2018, 11:26
- Gender: Female
Handing mail back and then finishing early
How can the manager make the shout
You should no how long walk takes ???????
And what to leave
You should no how long walk takes ???????
And what to leave
-
NewPostieUK
- Posts: 2104
- Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: SickAsAChipLand
Handing mail back and then finishing early
How?Yamr1 wrote: You should no how long walk takes ???????
And what to leave
-
chickenwittle
- Posts: 2095
- Joined: 15 Nov 2009, 09:43
- Gender: Male
Handing mail back and then finishing early
You can’t know , what if you have to 739 10 more items than normal , every day is different the pressure should not be on us to make this call , I take it all out and ring the office an hour before my finish time to say I can’t complete then the problem is theirs .
-
Seymour Buts
- Posts: 1148
- Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
- Gender: Male
Handing mail back and then finishing early
I'd waste time till your finish time. I don't know what they could do officially but if you do cock up in the future they'll jump on you. People leaving stuff then getting back early are taking the micky somewhat!
-
number one
- Posts: 1324
- Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
- Gender: Male
Handing mail back and then finishing early
Taking the micky? Really?!? So if you are on a round that you’ve never done then how do you know how much to leave?postietom wrote:I'd waste time till your finish time. I don't know what they could do officially but if you do cock up in the future they'll jump on you. People leaving stuff then getting back early are taking the micky somewhat!
-
chickenwittle
- Posts: 2095
- Joined: 15 Nov 2009, 09:43
- Gender: Male
Handing mail back and then finishing early
You wouldn’t know how much to leave so you just take it all out and ring office an hour before your finish time to let them know you can’t complete.number one wrote:Taking the micky? Really?!? So if you are on a round that you’ve never done then how do you know how much to leave?postietom wrote:I'd waste time till your finish time. I don't know what they could do officially but if you do cock up in the future they'll jump on you. People leaving stuff then getting back early are taking the micky somewhat!
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
Handing mail back and then finishing early
ALWAYS a problem for Reserves covering a lot of duties, or Newbies. If you're the regular Duty Holder you often get a feel for how your days going to pan out, but if you're a Reserve (or working in another DO) you've often got no idea.
In the past I've tried to do the right thing... taken the whole duty... and got really stitched up, going well over.
On one memorable occassion I'd gone to a nearby DO to help out on a Saturday. Never done the duty before, and one of the Posties said, "That ones a bit of bugger I'd leave those two blocks of flats behind if I were you". I had half an hours drive home and told the DOM I would be leaving on time so would leave those two blocks of flats. It was a HCT duty and the DOM used that old trusted, "Give me a ring when you're getting near your finish time, and we'll see how it goes"
I phoned him up to tell him it was nearly finishing time, I still had about a couple of bundles left to do, and I wouldn't be able to deliver them. "I'll be right out", he says........ and then the twat turns up in his car with the mail for the other two blocks of flats I'd left behind.
I just said, "Well Good Luck delivering that lot.... I told you I had to finish on time.... and here's a couple of more bundles..... Cheerio"! I think he must of thought I was a Newbie, desperate for some OT, but I'd done a few years by then so wasn't going to let him take the piss. 
On one memorable occassion I'd gone to a nearby DO to help out on a Saturday. Never done the duty before, and one of the Posties said, "That ones a bit of bugger I'd leave those two blocks of flats behind if I were you". I had half an hours drive home and told the DOM I would be leaving on time so would leave those two blocks of flats. It was a HCT duty and the DOM used that old trusted, "Give me a ring when you're getting near your finish time, and we'll see how it goes"
I phoned him up to tell him it was nearly finishing time, I still had about a couple of bundles left to do, and I wouldn't be able to deliver them. "I'll be right out", he says........ and then the twat turns up in his car with the mail for the other two blocks of flats I'd left behind.
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
-
k979aaa
- Posts: 12578
- Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
- Gender: Male
- Location: THE NORTH
Handing mail back and then finishing early
Best thing is tell them early on if you will struggle to complete but we all know what these lazy arse managers are like. But you being a hard trying staff member will always do your best but do not have a crystal ball just work your hours if you want no hassle!
-
NewPostieUK
- Posts: 2104
- Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: SickAsAChipLand
Handing mail back and then finishing early
I don't really understand how you can finish early. Do you mean get back early?jd9442 wrote:If misjudging the mail, handing a bag or two back, then finishing half an hour early?
If you get back 30 mins early, it shouldn't be a problem, just find something to do. You could always ask the manager what he wants you to do, but I wouldn't be wanting to go back out for 30mins. Including travelling time, and getting back in time to wash your hands, put packets back and sign out, you wouldn't get much done.
Personally, I'd get a cup of coffee, stand at my frame and slowly put in some door to doors, or just tidy it up. I'm available for work if needed, no one can complain.
-
citypostie
- Posts: 895
- Joined: 08 Apr 2009, 19:42
- Gender: Male
Handing mail back and then finishing early
Personally I think if you leave mail in and get back early your an idiot and asking for trouble!
Surely you would just realise you've left mail for no reason and slow down to make sure you get back bang on time?
Surely you would just realise you've left mail for no reason and slow down to make sure you get back bang on time?