ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

No Damned Boots!

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
NewPostieUK
Posts: 2104
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
Gender: Male
Location: SickAsAChipLand

No Damned Boots!

Post by NewPostieUK »

I try to get a new pair of boots for every winter. Just been online and there are NONE AT ALL!

No Docs, no Cats. Oh - there are Magnum but that doesn't count as I'm on delivery and they are a menace to society outdoors.

I'd settle for those excellent new shoes with the Michelin soles, but there are none of them either.

Useless.
leolion855
Posts: 641
Joined: 11 Jun 2018, 17:41
Gender: Male

No Damned Boots!

Post by leolion855 »

used my allocation of two pairs by july… id luv to be able to order a new par but I have to wait until march!
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16700
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

No Damned Boots!

Post by clashcityrocker »

leolion855 wrote:used my allocation of two pairs by july… id luv to be able to order a new par but I have to wait until march!
No you don't.
Your manager can authorise a new pair.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12194
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

No Damned Boots!

Post by SpacePhoenix »

clashcityrocker wrote:
leolion855 wrote:used my allocation of two pairs by july… id luv to be able to order a new par but I have to wait until march!
No you don't.
Your manager can authorise a new pair.
No manager in any MC or DO can authorise uniform, that gets done by a regional manager who can still cancel an order even if were placed by a DOM or shift manager
maisymoo04
Posts: 2226
Joined: 07 Apr 2010, 17:11
Gender: Male
Location: You dont want to no

No Damned Boots!

Post by maisymoo04 »

space you may be wrong there mate I ordered a pair of anvils last week used my allocation already the dim authorised it there and then he had to put down the reason why received them today am in a do :chuckle
"Some day I will have the bottle to take the money"
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

No Damned Boots!

Post by aiden01 »

SpacePhoenix wrote:
clashcityrocker wrote:
leolion855 wrote:used my allocation of two pairs by july… id luv to be able to order a new par but I have to wait until march!
No you don't.
Your manager can authorise a new pair.
No manager in any MC or DO can authorise uniform, that gets done by a regional manager who can still cancel an order even if were placed by a DOM or shift manager
Nonsense any manager can do it all they say is wear an tear. remember rm dont want you walking the streets in a scruffy uniform.
BAILEY21
Posts: 25
Joined: 01 Sep 2017, 17:54
Gender: Male

No Damned Boots!

Post by BAILEY21 »

Absolutely correct, your Dom can authorise just show him your old footwear and he'll authorise under h&s.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12194
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

No Damned Boots!

Post by SpacePhoenix »

BAILEY21 wrote:Absolutely correct, your Dom can authorise just show him your old footwear and he'll authorise under h&s.
Wrong! The authorising is done by a regional manager who can cancel any part or full orders that they deem aren't needed. It doesn't matter whether it's a DOM, line manager or the postie who puts the order in, the regional manager has the final say
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16700
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

No Damned Boots!

Post by clashcityrocker »

Everyone is right.
If you have exceeded your footwear allocation a replacement order has to come from your manager.
This is still checked by a uniform allocation manager who has the authority to decline the order but why would they* given that decent and appropriate footwear is necessary for the job.
There may be differences for delivery staff and indoor staff given the differing natures of the roles.

* If they believed that what you were showing your manager wasn't actually your current pair but an older pair.
Where do all the new shoes come from on ebay?

The problem is, once you have exceeded your footwear allocation, you are always going to exceed your allocation because a new pair isn't going to suddenly last longer.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
NewPostieUK
Posts: 2104
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
Gender: Male
Location: SickAsAChipLand

No Damned Boots!

Post by NewPostieUK »

There is something hugely wrong with this company (as if we didn't already know) if a Regional Manager is spending his time checking uniform allocation.
Mr Rush
Posts: 3345
Joined: 05 Aug 2011, 14:27
Gender: Male

No Damned Boots!

Post by Mr Rush »

When I had Docs I knew I could walk in current conditions and not break my neck on a leaf. Since I've been forced to wear Magnums instead I have no confidence in where I place my feet. :so there Bring back the Docs!
The machine stops.
crazyshrew
Posts: 584
Joined: 19 Jun 2011, 16:58
Gender: Female
Location: Coastal, South West

No Damned Boots!

Post by crazyshrew »

Somehow I've never had an issue with getting footwear above my allocation.
Last winter I managed to get my coat caught on something and got a massive rip in it. About 3 months I think before I would have been entitled to a new one. In that little box I explained that a big hole in a waterproof coat makes it unusable.
There were demands for photographs and and a full explanation as to why I had damaged it, tho tone implying I had dishonest intentions

Gave up, still wearing the (presumably) spare one I found loafing in a dark corner of the locker room
NewPostieUK
Posts: 2104
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
Gender: Male
Location: SickAsAChipLand

No Damned Boots!

Post by NewPostieUK »

Mr Rush wrote:When I had Docs I knew I could walk in current conditions and not break my neck on a leaf. Since I've been forced to wear Magnums instead I have no confidence in where I place my feet. :so there Bring back the Docs!
:Applause

Dr Martens, the only boot worth having for outdoors. All the others are slippy, and the damned Magnums are a menace to society, slippy on a merely moist pavement. The new Magnum walking shoes, with Michelin soles. are good, but aren't available til November.
NewPostieUK
Posts: 2104
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
Gender: Male
Location: SickAsAChipLand

No Damned Boots!

Post by NewPostieUK »

Middle of October, winter approaching and this is the pitiful choice of footwear.
no boots.jpg
crazyshrew wrote:Somehow I've never had an issue with getting footwear above my allocation
Me neither.

The issue here though, is that there are no boots available.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
blue1873
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 8879
Joined: 16 Feb 2010, 17:50
Gender: Male

No Damned Boots!

Post by blue1873 »

aiden01 wrote:
SpacePhoenix wrote:
clashcityrocker wrote:
leolion855 wrote:used my allocation of two pairs by july… id luv to be able to order a new par but I have to wait until march!
No you don't.
Your manager can authorise a new pair.
No manager in any MC or DO can authorise uniform, that gets done by a regional manager who can still cancel an order even if were placed by a DOM or shift manager
Nonsense any manager can do it all they say is wear an tear. remember rm dont want you walking the streets in a scruffy uniform.
My my how standards have dropped in this job when even the posties regard the present uniform
as "Not Scruffy" it is a disgrace as a uniform ,said it before on here the delivery staff look like EON
meter readers didn't mean it then as a compliment then and still dont. Cheap n' nasty. :d'oh!