ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Knee replacements

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
abbo75
Posts: 27
Joined: 04 Jun 2007, 13:14
Location: Norfolk

Knee replacements

Post by abbo75 »

I fear I’m in need of a knee replacement and I’m a bit concerned about returning to work and walking 8 miles a day. Any fellow posties had this op and returned to work?
daveyeff
Posts: 4699
Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 19:38
Gender: Male

Knee replacements

Post by daveyeff »

yes, I've had both of mine done. you will need to be put on a delivery that is flat terrain or has very few steps and hills or have your existing duty revised to suit, because you will not be able to do a ''normal'' duty. you will be off for 3 months then 8 weeks rehab gradually increasing hours each week. its very hard and painful at first but it does get better and is a million miles better than grade 4 arthritis of the knee believe me.
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

Knee replacements

Post by Celgar »

Be aware the NHS only allow one set (One left & one right.)for hip and knee replacements per person. The hip replacements last about twenty years. A postie at our office needs to get a hip replacement but the NHS have said no because he is only 53 years old so it would need replacing when he is 73.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
scoobydo79
Posts: 2056
Joined: 15 May 2011, 19:04
Gender: Male

Knee replacements

Post by scoobydo79 »

daveyeff wrote:yes, I've had both of mine done. you will need to be put on a delivery that is flat terrain or has very few steps and hills or have your existing duty revised to suit, because you will not be able to do a ''normal'' duty. you will be off for 3 months then 8 weeks rehab gradually increasing hours each week. its very hard and painful at first but it does get better and is a million miles better than grade 4 arthritis of the knee believe me.
This.Also listen and do what Your physio tells You.Its tough but it will pay off!!!
celtic1967
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 136
Joined: 21 Apr 2011, 17:25
Gender: Male

Knee replacements

Post by celtic1967 »

I had a partial knee replacement three years ago next week. i went back too quickly, did my walk for two and a half years but had to come off delivery as the other part of the knee is now very painful.
Make sure you are 100% ok before you return to work.
daveyeff
Posts: 4699
Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 19:38
Gender: Male

Knee replacements

Post by daveyeff »

Celgar wrote:Be aware the NHS only allow one set (One left & one right.)for hip and knee replacements per person. The hip replacements last about twenty years. A postie at our office needs to get a hip replacement but the NHS have said no because he is only 53 years old so it would need replacing when he is 73.
that's not what they told me mind. I was only 52 when I got the first one done and 53 for the second. the surgeon said ''normal'' wear and tear of the new joint lasts about 15-20 years but in this job its not normal wear and tear and its possible I may need a 'revision knee job' in 8-10 years and if this was the case I may not be able to do the job any longer as a revision is a lot more complicated than a TKR.