ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Collections on delivery.

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

Collections on delivery.

Post by Celgar »

We were told today at some point in the near future more of the postbox collections will be emptied only by posties while out on delivery. For example at the moment there are nine postboxes on my walk - four are emptied Monday to Friday and all nine are emptied by me on Saturdays. I'm not surprised at this change to be honest though. The mail is still going to be collected from post offices and businesses I expect though. Might mean less collection duties on SA in the future though.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
mickeymacca
Posts: 503
Joined: 21 Jun 2012, 18:03
Gender: Male

Collections on delivery.

Post by mickeymacca »

Inevitable I think Celgar, an obvious cost saving to the business at the expense of the workforce.
'Libraries gave us power'
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

Collections on delivery.

Post by arnold cheshire »

Celgar wrote:We were told today at some point in the near future more of the postbox collections will be emptied only by posties while out on delivery. For example at the moment there are nine postboxes on my walk - four are emptied Monday to Friday and all nine are emptied by me on Saturdays. I'm not surprised at this change to be honest though. The mail is still going to be collected from post offices and businesses I expect though. Might mean less collection duties on SA in the future though.
You must have a very big walk to have nine post boxes or very unlucky
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

Collections on delivery.

Post by Celgar »

arnold cheshire wrote:
Celgar wrote:We were told today at some point in the near future more of the postbox collections will be emptied only by posties while out on delivery. For example at the moment there are nine postboxes on my walk - four are emptied Monday to Friday and all nine are emptied by me on Saturdays. I'm not surprised at this change to be honest though. The mail is still going to be collected from post offices and businesses I expect though. Might mean less collection duties on SA in the future though.
You must have a very big walk to have nine post boxes or very unlucky
It's a twenty mile rural walk. Doesn't bother me that much to empty them really. Other than at Christmas I don't get that much mail from them.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Collections on delivery.

Post by Dorset Plodder »

I empty a few as I'm going around. Doesn't really bother me that much. Doesn't take that much time, and it is a saving for the Business. I can't see the problem. :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
Seymour Buts
Posts: 1148
Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

Collections on delivery.

Post by Seymour Buts »

Dorset Plodder wrote:I empty a few as I'm going around. Doesn't really bother me that much. Doesn't take that much time, and it is a saving for the Business. I can't see the problem. :cuppa
It's a problem because it takes away hours from those of us who do afternoons. The more collections that happen on delivery the less there is for us to do on the afternoons. The union seem to be doing nothing either. The whole collection on delivery thing went through overnight with god knows how many hours lost on the afternoons with the union saying nothing again.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12194
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Collections on delivery.

Post by SpacePhoenix »

postietom wrote:
Dorset Plodder wrote:I empty a few as I'm going around. Doesn't really bother me that much. Doesn't take that much time, and it is a saving for the Business. I can't see the problem. :cuppa
It's a problem because it takes away hours from those of us who do afternoons. The more collections that happen on delivery the less there is for us to do on the afternoons. The union seem to be doing nothing either. The whole collection on delivery thing went through overnight with god knows how many hours lost on the afternoons with the union saying nothing again.
Could RM be looking at more collections on delivery to free up hours and staff for delivering LAT items?
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72738
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Collections on delivery.

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Just did a site search on 2 terms that may assist the discussion. Beware there are a lot of results.

LTB Post Box strategy https://www.google.com/search?newwindow ... 20&bih=938" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

LTB Collections on Delivery https://www.google.com/search?newwindow ... er0WxFAg24" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
wacko74
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1572
Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
Gender: Male

Collections on delivery.

Post by wacko74 »

We already empty all boxes on delivery.

We also have to scan all P.O's as ''nothing to collect'' which seems like a bit of a pointless exercise.
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

Collections on delivery.

Post by Celgar »

SpacePhoenix wrote:
postietom wrote:
Dorset Plodder wrote:I empty a few as I'm going around. Doesn't really bother me that much. Doesn't take that much time, and it is a saving for the Business. I can't see the problem. :cuppa
It's a problem because it takes away hours from those of us who do afternoons. The more collections that happen on delivery the less there is for us to do on the afternoons. The union seem to be doing nothing either. The whole collection on delivery thing went through overnight with god knows how many hours lost on the afternoons with the union saying nothing again.
Could RM be looking at more collections on delivery to free up hours and staff for delivering LAT items?
It is an obvious and easy cost saving for RM to move all post box collections to delivery. At one time not so long ago we had to empty all the boxes on delivery then they would all get emptied again on the afternoon/evening collections. I don't know about towns & cities but in the countryside there isn't much posted apart from greetings cards. Our DO is going to try and secure some LAT duties to secure additional hours as a 'preemptive strike' against the collection SAs mostly being wiped out. The post offices & some businesses will still need to be collected from daily but I imagine at least 50% of those collection duties are going to disappear. If RM are correct and the amount of firms using the LAT service increases then that could compensate for collections going.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
twoloops
Posts: 2036
Joined: 24 May 2017, 20:52
Gender: Male
Location: Sheffield

Collections on delivery.

Post by twoloops »

In our office if we have not scanned the plate in the letterbox by 13:00 one of us will get a text or phone call reminding us to empty the letterbox, I'm told managers cannot go home until all boxes are scanned & emptied?
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Collections on delivery.

Post by k979aaa »

mattycash wrote:In our office if we have not scanned the plate in the letterbox by 13:00 one of us will get a text or phone call reminding us to empty the letterbox, I'm told managers cannot go home until all boxes are scanned & emptied?
We presumably it will be 12 minutes later after tomorrow!
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Collections on delivery.

Post by Dorset Plodder »

postietom wrote:
Dorset Plodder wrote:I empty a few as I'm going around. Doesn't really bother me that much. Doesn't take that much time, and it is a saving for the Business. I can't see the problem. :cuppa
It's a problem because it takes away hours from those of us who do afternoons. The more collections that happen on delivery the less there is for us to do on the afternoons. The union seem to be doing nothing either. The whole collection on delivery thing went through overnight with god knows how many hours lost on the afternoons with the union saying nothing again.
PT are you saying that because Post Boxes are emptied during the normal daily delivery..... then there's less opportunity for OPGs to get SA? That doesn't ring true in my particular DO, because those who choose to do SA still have to empty Post Offices and several busier Post Boxes. Their hours haven't been cut, so in effect they're getting an "Easier" SA duty. :shock: The ones we tend to empty during the day are the smaller Rural Type boxes that have very little mail in them.

If the Business were to make the decision to go down this route (and save themselves money in SA) then surely that's just good Business sense. The occasions that the Management actually make "Good Business" decisions are few, and far between, so should we not commend this? :hmmmm Are you saying that we should "Protect" the SA duties of the few? This could backfire on us all. An alternative that is used in a nearby DO is that EVERYONE takes turn at doing the late Collections. Whether they want to, or not. :shock: It's not classed as SA (so paid at normal rate) and 20 mins is deducted from the Normal Delivery Duty to "Make Ammends" for it. Despite the fact the Collections take 2 hrs. :thumbdown

An added problem is that the Collections don't start until 14.45. So if you finish your Duty at 13.50 you've got to either go home, and return later, or if you don't live locally .... hang around for nearly an hour until you can start your Collection! :arrrghhh Be careful what you wish for. :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

Collections on delivery.

Post by Celgar »

mattycash wrote:In our office if we have not scanned the plate in the letterbox by 13:00 one of us will get a text or phone call reminding us to empty the letterbox, I'm told managers cannot go home until all boxes are scanned & emptied?
We have the new barcode to scan once we return from delivery as an additional confirmation that the postboxes have been emptied. I think there is a seven hour window in the system between emptying the first and last boxes on your walk. Therefore I don't think there is a need for a phone reminder for you to empty all your boxes.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.