ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Change to working hours

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
samo1992
Posts: 1
Joined: 01 Sep 2018, 22:16
Gender: Female

Change to working hours

Post by samo1992 »

Hi guys, I'm new here and looking for some advice from you all. Right I'm currently on MAT leave, before I left my main duty was PHG 3 days a week and a days delivery on a rotational basis with another chap. I am now looking to go back but change my working pattern (but that's for another post) but with the new change of the working week the DOM has decided to change the working hours of the PHG job from a 10 hour day to a 8 hour day to save the hours needed. My question is can he do that to me and this other chap without notice?? As now the proposal he has put forward to us both is that we will both owe him hours every week but not tell us what we would be doing to make the hours up so I'm a little confused.

Cheers all, many thanks
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

Change to working hours

Post by Postie45 »

basically yes he can do what he wants for operational needs, so long as the other 2 hours arent given to someone else. You are being given notice as he has informed of you of the upcoming changes, I dont think it has to be that much notice anyway.
rehabron
Posts: 1372
Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
Gender: Male

Change to working hours

Post by rehabron »

samo1992 wrote:Hi guys, I'm new here and looking for some advice from you all. Right I'm currently on MAT leave, before I left my main duty was PHG 3 days a week and a days delivery on a rotational basis with another chap. I am now looking to go back but change my working pattern (but that's for another post) but with the new change of the working week the DOM has decided to change the working hours of the PHG job from a 10 hour day to a 8 hour day to save the hours needed. My question is can he do that to me and this other chap without notice?? As now the proposal he has put forward to us both is that we will both owe him hours every week but not tell us what we would be doing to make the hours up so I'm a little confused.

Cheers all, many thanks
1) You and the other chap before you both accept the proposal need to know exactly how you are being employed to make up the shortfall in hours that the proposal is 7not indicating in content and start and finishing times and day of operation. You should reject the propsal until this is clarified and how your contracted hours can be completed and involve your union.

2) 7 days notice for change of hours if after (1) in order to make arrangements.

3) In view of the content of your post this will become hypothetical if you are looking for FF hours after returning from maternity leave and you need to consider your shift pattern on FF hours and put your application in. The employer has to give your request due consideration but also the right to reject your application and must give a reasonable explanation in writing for the refusal.