ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Possible Return To Royal Mail
-
SW Postie
- Posts: 39
- Joined: 28 Aug 2018, 12:16
- Gender: Male
Possible Return To Royal Mail
Good afternoon All. I am looking for some advice on a possible return to Royal Mail. First of all here is a bit of a background information:
I started working for Royal Mail in 2003 and left the business in April 2017 as I wanted a change of career. I started right at the bottom in 2003 as a part timer learning all of the rounds in the office before I had the opportunity in 2004 to go full time. I had 6 years doing floating duties before I signed for my own delivery in 2010 and up until the day I left I stayed on the same duty. I was always very happy with the job apart from Saturday working but after 14 years that became second nature. However last year I was given a job opportunity that I would have been foolish to turn down (same money, same hours and better prospects) so I bit the bullet and took it. Unfortunately for me the grass wasn't greener on the other side and my new career despite giving it everything I have isn't working out for me! So after a conversation with my Postie who is a good friend of mine I found out that my old DO is recruiting again. I called my old DOM who I had a good working relationship with and he said to get online and complete an application form. Before I do this I was hoping some of the very knowledgable people on here may be able to ask a few questions please?
1. Pay - Would I start again at the lowest increment and then get higher pay after 6 and 12 months?
2. Annual Leave - Again would I start off at 22.5 days or be on the same as when I left (which was 24 days I believe)?
3. Driving Test - Would this have to be retaken?
4. Induction Day(s) - Would I need to go on these again?
Thank you in anticipation.
I started working for Royal Mail in 2003 and left the business in April 2017 as I wanted a change of career. I started right at the bottom in 2003 as a part timer learning all of the rounds in the office before I had the opportunity in 2004 to go full time. I had 6 years doing floating duties before I signed for my own delivery in 2010 and up until the day I left I stayed on the same duty. I was always very happy with the job apart from Saturday working but after 14 years that became second nature. However last year I was given a job opportunity that I would have been foolish to turn down (same money, same hours and better prospects) so I bit the bullet and took it. Unfortunately for me the grass wasn't greener on the other side and my new career despite giving it everything I have isn't working out for me! So after a conversation with my Postie who is a good friend of mine I found out that my old DO is recruiting again. I called my old DOM who I had a good working relationship with and he said to get online and complete an application form. Before I do this I was hoping some of the very knowledgable people on here may be able to ask a few questions please?
1. Pay - Would I start again at the lowest increment and then get higher pay after 6 and 12 months?
2. Annual Leave - Again would I start off at 22.5 days or be on the same as when I left (which was 24 days I believe)?
3. Driving Test - Would this have to be retaken?
4. Induction Day(s) - Would I need to go on these again?
Thank you in anticipation.
-
number one
- Posts: 1324
- Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
- Gender: Male
Possible Return To Royal Mail
It be classed as a break in service so unfortunately you would have to start from scratch
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72738
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Possible Return To Royal Mail
1. Yes. But there is only a £1 and then 50p difference. But might be worth checking with HR.SW Postie wrote:Good afternoon All. I am looking for some advice on a possible return to Royal Mail.
1. Pay - Would I start again at the lowest increment and then get higher pay after 6 and 12 months?
2. Annual Leave - Again would I start off at 22.5 days or be on the same as when I left (which was 24 days I believe)?
3. Driving Test - Would this have to be retaken?
4. Induction Day(s) - Would I need to go on these again?
2. If you could prove your previous employment and after a bit of work with HR you can add your two periods of service together for Annual Leave entitlement only.
3. Probably as it's not really a test but a risk assessment for the business.
4. Yes, probably.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
SW Postie
- Posts: 39
- Joined: 28 Aug 2018, 12:16
- Gender: Male
Possible Return To Royal Mail
Thanks for your help guys. Unfortunately the job advert has now gone as it must have reached the amount of applications needed to take it down. There is a job in another delivery office about 20 miles away that I may apply for. Barring that I may bide my time as my old DO will have 2 more vacancies up within the next couple of weeks. Dare I say it but I am gutted that I left in the first place now!!!
-
Brandy
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 729
- Joined: 12 Sep 2011, 21:03
- Gender: Female
Possible Return To Royal Mail
All I can say is you must have had a decent manager.SW Postie wrote:Thanks for your help guys. Unfortunately the job advert has now gone as it must have reached the amount of applications needed to take it down. There is a job in another delivery office about 20 miles away that I may apply for. Barring that I may bide my time as my old DO will have 2 more vacancies up within the next couple of weeks. Dare I say it but I am gutted that I left in the first place now!!!
-
hothothot
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 422
- Joined: 06 Sep 2016, 13:15
- Gender: Male
Possible Return To Royal Mail
You want to go back ! are you sure ?
-
SW Postie
- Posts: 39
- Joined: 28 Aug 2018, 12:16
- Gender: Male
Possible Return To Royal Mail
Yes to be honest the manager is decent. Always fair to me (and other staff) when I was there previously.Brandy wrote:All I can say is you must have had a decent manager.SW Postie wrote:Thanks for your help guys. Unfortunately the job advert has now gone as it must have reached the amount of applications needed to take it down. There is a job in another delivery office about 20 miles away that I may apply for. Barring that I may bide my time as my old DO will have 2 more vacancies up within the next couple of weeks. Dare I say it but I am gutted that I left in the first place now!!!
-
SW Postie
- Posts: 39
- Joined: 28 Aug 2018, 12:16
- Gender: Male
Possible Return To Royal Mail
To be honest when I left I said I would never go back. However as my original post states the grass isn't always greener on the other side so why not return?hothothot wrote:You want to go back ! are you sure ?
-
Brandy
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 729
- Joined: 12 Sep 2011, 21:03
- Gender: Female
Possible Return To Royal Mail
You were lucky,both of mine were nasty pieces of work.SW Postie wrote:Yes to be honest the manager is decent. Always fair to me (and other staff) when I was there previously.Brandy wrote:All I can say is you must have had a decent manager.SW Postie wrote:Thanks for your help guys. Unfortunately the job advert has now gone as it must have reached the amount of applications needed to take it down. There is a job in another delivery office about 20 miles away that I may apply for. Barring that I may bide my time as my old DO will have 2 more vacancies up within the next couple of weeks. Dare I say it but I am gutted that I left in the first place now!!!
-
SW Postie
- Posts: 39
- Joined: 28 Aug 2018, 12:16
- Gender: Male
Possible Return To Royal Mail
A quick update guys. I went for a job at the office 20 miles away, attended the interview and was then put on the waiting list as there were other higher scoring candidates!! However this hopefully has turned out to be a blessing in disguise as I received a phone call from HR today asking if I was still interested in a position (which is at my old DO)? I said I was but apparently the vacancy is being advertised on the RM internal website for 5 days and if nobody applies then the job is mine. I had to submit an application for it but I didn't have to complete the tests or attend an interview. Is this normal procedure?
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72738
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Possible Return To Royal Mail
Yes but make sure you can retrieve the email just in case.SW Postie wrote:A quick update guys. I went for a job at the office 20 miles away, attended the interview and was then put on the waiting list as there were other higher scoring candidates!! However this hopefully has turned out to be a blessing in disguise as I received a phone call from HR today asking if I was still interested in a position (which is at my old DO)? I said I was but apparently the vacancy is being advertised on the RM internal website for 5 days and if nobody applies then the job is mine. I had to submit an application for it but I didn't have to complete the tests or attend an interview. Is this normal procedure?
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
south London postie
- Posts: 127
- Joined: 14 Jan 2016, 10:54
- Gender: Male
Possible Return To Royal Mail
The "internal site" - is that successfactors?
-
MAILMAN84
- Posts: 186
- Joined: 04 May 2008, 14:05
Possible Return To Royal Mail
I wouldn't come back now, it's a totally different job. I'm needing out in next month cuz Xmas is gonna be hilariously bad this year.
-
Dazsw
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 28
- Joined: 17 Feb 2013, 17:36
- Gender: Male
Possible Return To Royal Mail
You must be mad!
I left in April and anytime I bump into someone who's still there they all say the same, it's just getting worse and worse.
I left in April and anytime I bump into someone who's still there they all say the same, it's just getting worse and worse.
-
hothothot
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 422
- Joined: 06 Sep 2016, 13:15
- Gender: Male
Possible Return To Royal Mail
I left in August , I wouldn't go back if you paid me double. All my mates at my old office just say the job gets worse week on week . They all say if they could leave they would. Who the hell wants to go to work and be bullied and harassed by management. I've never been so happy since leaving.