So I've just received my formal offer email and I'm over the moon!
My start date isn't for another month yet so quite a wait but I'm ready to get stuck in when the time comes. The question I have is that they have me down for a 10:15AM start time... browsing this forum, I have never seen anyone with this start time, usually the part timers start at around 9AM? it just seems a bit late for me compared to everyone else. I would prefer an earlier start (9AM-ish) although I'm not moaning and will take whatever I'm given really. I was just maybe wondering if this will change once I get going?
i think there is quite a bit of variation throughout Royal Mail land. At our rural office most of the part-timers start at 7am and we prep our own walks. I do 30 hours over 4 or 5 days depending on the walks I am covering that week.
Hi! Good luck, I hope you have a good experience when you start.
Your start time will depend on how well managed and staffed your office is. I'm a part timer and start at half 7. Other offices have later starts because they are further away from the mail sorting centre's.
When you start you should be on the same round with a full timer who will show you the ropes over a few weeks. Unfortunately this doesn't always happen and you might be thrown in the deep end.
Post a message on here if you have any queries when you start
I was on 10:30-3 when I started 7 and a half years ago. As soon as I started the managers asked me to start at about 9 instead as it was too late to start so maybe that will happen to you?
I started on 25hr well 24.5 (cheapskates) office was a joke. Plan was, I was to walk into a fully-loaded van and go. Never happened once. More often than not I walked into half empty frame and an empty office. And got dogs abuse from most who had to wait on us. Never did get to meet union rep. Wish I was exaggerating, u might be lucky.
Newbie001 wrote:I started on 25hr well 24.5 (cheapskates)
I started aeons ago on a 23.5 hour contract. This worked out at 3hrs 55mins per day because if you worked 4 hours then RM would have had to pay you for a break! Now THAT was cheapskate!
Newbie001 wrote:I started on 25hr well 24.5 (cheapskates)
I started aeons ago on a 23.5 hour contract. This worked out at 3hrs 55mins per day because if you worked 4 hours then RM would have had to pay you for a break! Now THAT was cheapskate!
24.5 get 20 mins break, 25 get 30 mins. So in theory get paid 30 mins less for doing 20 mins more work, crazy.
Does seem late to be honest, till what time? Some offices have those hybrid duties so you might do two hours on delivery followed by a collection. These things are not always set in stone; I started on a 20 hour contract starting at 9am and literally the first day my dom asked if I'd go upto 24 hours and start at 8. They might do something like that.
Good luck, most of us moan all the time (postie thing) but it is a good job with mostly good people. I like it and certainly won't be leaving anytime soon if it's down to me!
Newbie001 wrote:I started on 25hr well 24.5 (cheapskates)
I started aeons ago on a 23.5 hour contract. This worked out at 3hrs 55mins per day because if you worked 4 hours then RM would have had to pay you for a break! Now THAT was cheapskate!
I know that exeter/ Plymouth delivery director trys/ does make all his come start all new starts on 24hrs23,mins per week. Just be a strong rep there, not. Remember it you do overtime you take and are entitled to extra break time according to yours worked. Another thing the union have let slide, ffs.
Thanks everybody for the replies I've learned that nothing is ever set in stone with this company so I will just wait and see what happens. The times on the ad stated between 10:15 and 15:00. If I was starting even an hour earlier, it would be easier for me to do some overtime but if starting later I would rather not be out until 5PM doing it.I've also learned that my soon to be DOM isn't actually too bad compared to others so fairly lucky there.