ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Signing for job.
-
rodtheplod
- Posts: 20
- Joined: 04 Apr 2017, 14:33
- Gender: Male
Signing for job.
Having worked for RM for 3 years in the same DO I have never been able to sign for a job. The DO did try and have a re-sign last year which was rejected by the union.
Because of this Managers use the excuse that as I am not a duty holder they can move me whenever and where ever they want. They wont move others who aren't duty holders and will never move those that have signed for jobs.
When duty holders come in on there days off as over time they stay on their own jobs and it is others, including floaters that have signed for jobs that get moved.
I view this lack of a re-sign as not being granted the same equal opportunities as others in the office and is therefore discrimination.
Because of this Managers use the excuse that as I am not a duty holder they can move me whenever and where ever they want. They wont move others who aren't duty holders and will never move those that have signed for jobs.
When duty holders come in on there days off as over time they stay on their own jobs and it is others, including floaters that have signed for jobs that get moved.
I view this lack of a re-sign as not being granted the same equal opportunities as others in the office and is therefore discrimination.
-
rehabron
- Posts: 1372
- Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
- Gender: Male
Signing for job.
1) You will find in this business that there are colleagues with 15 years service or over who are still reserves.rodtheplod wrote:Having worked for RM for 3 years in the same DO I have never been able to sign for a job. The DO did try and have a re-sign last year which was rejected by the union.
Because of this Managers use the excuse that as I am not a duty holder they can move me whenever and where ever they want. They wont move others who aren't duty holders and will never move those that have signed for jobs.
When duty holders come in on there days off as over time they stay on their own jobs and it is others, including floaters that have signed for jobs that get moved.
I view this lack of a re-sign as not being granted the same equal opportunities as others in the office and is therefore discrimination.
2) The valid reason for the rejection of the resign from the union was?
3)Not having a signed duty then the clause at the foot of your " 318" in small writing " as directed" springs to mind.
4) Not moving others who aren't duty holders could be connected to their contracted hours.
5)Overtime exceeding a duty cover. Your office must have a great budget.
6) In a resign there are always winners and losers as the business requires reserves/floaters to cover Sick absence, annual leave, and rotational days off so at the end of the day had a resign taken place there will be someone in exactly a similar position to what you are in now.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72733
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Signing for job.
Indeed after 14 years on the same duty - I am about to become a reserve.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
Seymour Buts
- Posts: 1148
- Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
- Gender: Male
Signing for job.
It's not discrimination, this has been gone through time and time again. Royal Mail consider all duties the same so how can it be discrimination when we're all doing the same job.
I do feel for those who have signed for cover groups to be honest. I had one when I started but came off it due to rest day working; I'd end up as a reserve absolutely anywhere and it was doing my head in. At least now I tend to be on the same duty for six days as holiday cover. It's getting to the stage now I know virtually every duty in our office anyway so it makes no difference to me anymore.
I do feel for those who have signed for cover groups to be honest. I had one when I started but came off it due to rest day working; I'd end up as a reserve absolutely anywhere and it was doing my head in. At least now I tend to be on the same duty for six days as holiday cover. It's getting to the stage now I know virtually every duty in our office anyway so it makes no difference to me anymore.
-
Seymour Buts
- Posts: 1148
- Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
- Gender: Male
Signing for job.
Why, out of interest?TrueBlueTerrier wrote:Indeed after 14 years on the same duty - I am about to become a reserve.
Has it's perks to be honest. I probably could get a duty now but I'm in two minds; I reckon I'd get bored doing the same duty six days per week everyweek. This job can be quite repetative as it is, least being a reserve adds some variation.
-
Kurteye
- Posts: 5
- Joined: 16 Jun 2013, 22:06
- Gender: Male
Signing for job.
3 years wow lol. I’ve been here 11 years and no closer to a duty. There’s people here on 15 years ahead of me.
-
Postie45
- Posts: 2160
- Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
- Gender: Male
Signing for job.
And you'd be wrong, better rethink this.rodtheplod wrote: I view this lack of a re-sign as not being granted the same equal opportunities as others in the office and is therefore discrimination.
-
Peterpostie
- Posts: 14
- Joined: 13 Jun 2013, 21:47
- Gender: Male
Signing for job.
I am a section reserve and since we got a new manager I have been getting put on all different duties,sometimes 3 or 4 duties in a week.Is there anything I can do about this.am getting fed up of getting shoved around all the time.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72733
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Signing for job.
Re sign going from 1 in 6 to 9 day fortnights and CDV - losing walks and mid-table seniority.postietom wrote:Why, out of interest?TrueBlueTerrier wrote:Indeed after 14 years on the same duty - I am about to become a reserve.
Has it's perks to be honest. I probably could get a duty now but I'm in two minds; I reckon I'd get bored doing the same duty six days per week everyweek. This job can be quite repetative as it is, least being a reserve adds some variation.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
MinTee
- Posts: 82
- Joined: 03 Jan 2018, 15:20
- Gender: Male
Signing for job.
Peterpostie wrote:I am a section reserve and since we got a new manager I have been getting put on all different duties,sometimes 3 or 4 duties in a week.Is there anything I can do about this.am getting fed up of getting shoved around all the time.
I was in the same boat. I had a word with my union rep and told him it was stressing me out to the point where I was fed up and was thinking of leaving. Haven’t had a problem since, now they ask if I’m ok with moving.
-
Peterpostie
- Posts: 14
- Joined: 13 Jun 2013, 21:47
- Gender: Male
Signing for job.
The thing is it’s my union rep who is doing the rota because the manager is hopeless and he seems to be accommodating his mates.MinTee wrote:Peterpostie wrote:I am a section reserve and since we got a new manager I have been getting put on all different duties,sometimes 3 or 4 duties in a week.Is there anything I can do about this.am getting fed up of getting shoved around all the time.
I was in the same boat. I had a word with my union rep and told him it was stressing me out to the point where I was fed up and was thinking of leaving. Haven’t had a problem since, now they ask if I’m ok with moving.
Sorry for changing the subject of the thread.
-
danterossetti
- Posts: 136
- Joined: 19 May 2013, 18:19
- Gender: Male
Signing for job.
Be straight with the union rep and tell them how it appears.
-
LaggyBand
- Posts: 1065
- Joined: 29 Jun 2015, 14:07
- Gender: Male
Signing for job.
It’s almost like a different job, in terms of mindset - being a never-gets-moved duty holder and a thrown-about reserve.
Took me seventeen years to get a fixed duty.
People with fixed jobs that moan at our place really have no idea what it’s like being a reserve. Yeah, they say “I was a reserve once you know” - and they say it genuinely thinking being a reserve twenty years ago was the same as it is now.
It’s ok giving it the “just do what you’re told and finish on time”, which, on paper, sounds like it should make no difference. But it’s largely make-believe on the floor. Try doing it day in day out, advocating your side, being challenged constantly, whilst your fixed duty work mates look around from their frame with a hint of “I’m glad I’m safe” across their face.
My advice: the better reserve you are, the more your talents will be put to work. Never, ever, think if you be good today you’ll be left alone tomorrow. Never think that.
Took me seventeen years to get a fixed duty.
People with fixed jobs that moan at our place really have no idea what it’s like being a reserve. Yeah, they say “I was a reserve once you know” - and they say it genuinely thinking being a reserve twenty years ago was the same as it is now.
It’s ok giving it the “just do what you’re told and finish on time”, which, on paper, sounds like it should make no difference. But it’s largely make-believe on the floor. Try doing it day in day out, advocating your side, being challenged constantly, whilst your fixed duty work mates look around from their frame with a hint of “I’m glad I’m safe” across their face.
My advice: the better reserve you are, the more your talents will be put to work. Never, ever, think if you be good today you’ll be left alone tomorrow. Never think that.
-
postslippete
- Posts: 4197
- Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
- Gender: Male
Signing for job.
I am on a fixed duty but I used to be a Reserve. A re-sign is more likely to give a part-timer a fixed duty because this is the direction that Royal Mail is heading. That is why you get full-timers with over 15 years service working as reserves. Apart from DDA, I don't get all this ring-fencing b*llocks - its really just a means of improving a part-timers working life to that of a full-timer.
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
Signing for job.
A fellow cynic... well said LBLaggyBand wrote:It’s almost like a different job, in terms of mindset - being a never-gets-moved duty holder and a thrown-about reserve.
Took me seventeen years to get a fixed duty.
People with fixed jobs that moan at our place really have no idea what it’s like being a reserve. (A) Yeah, they say “I was a reserve once you know” - and they say it genuinely thinking being a reserve twenty years ago was the same as it is now.
(B)It’s ok giving it the “just do what you’re told and finish on time”, which, on paper, sounds like it should make no difference. But it’s largely make-believe on the floor. Try doing it day in day out, advocating your side, being challenged constantly, whilst your fixed duty work mates look around from their frame with a hint of “I’m glad I’m safe” across their face.
(C)My advice: the better reserve you are, the more your talents will be put to work. Never, ever, think if you be good today you’ll be left alone tomorrow. Never think that.
(B) I think some people underestimate just how stressful it is to get messed about on a daily basis, not knowing which duty you're on until you turn up at the DO. Having to argue with Incompetent Managers that couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery, and are only interested in their own Bonuses instead of trying to sort their DO out!
(C) IMO they should pay Reserves for the ammount of Duties they can cover (I know RM wanted (and succedded) in doing away with lots of different payscales). In all honesty a well trained Reserve is a lot more of an Assett to the Business than a Postie that's only ever done the same Duty for the last 15 years (we've got a few).
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)