ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Lone working in callers office on Sunday

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
tmorg89
Posts: 3
Joined: 14 Jul 2017, 14:29
Gender: Male

Lone working in callers office on Sunday

Post by tmorg89 »

I’ve been put into the position where I’m being told I have to work in the callers office on my own on Sunday I’m pretty sure there would be some health and safety reasons that this would not be allowed, e.g. have an accident or potentially aggressive customers which if you ever worked in the callers office you encounter quite regularly.

Does anyone have any insight into if you should be allowed?
doorstepped
Posts: 1063
Joined: 10 Oct 2011, 23:17
Gender: Male
Location: Somewhere west of London

Lone working in callers office on Sunday

Post by doorstepped »

I work in our callers office on my own all the time, manager hardly there and everyone else out on delivery.
just make sure all your doors etc are locked and you know where the bandit alarm it ;)
Glp28357
Posts: 85
Joined: 16 May 2017, 22:27
Gender: Male

Lone working in callers office on Sunday

Post by Glp28357 »

tmorg89 wrote:I’ve been put into the position where I’m being told I have to work in the callers office on my own on Sunday I’m pretty sure there would be some health and safety reasons that this would not be allowed, e.g. have an accident or potentially aggressive customers which if you ever worked in the callers office you encounter quite regularly.

Does anyone have any insight into if you should be allowed?
Can't see a problem - I do it on my own every Sunday and at other times too.
joewyan
Posts: 382
Joined: 28 Jun 2016, 22:56
Gender: Male

Lone working in callers office on Sunday

Post by joewyan »

From anywhere else I have worked I think you should have signed a lone worker risk assessment?
postmanzach
Posts: 515
Joined: 18 Jul 2011, 15:01
Gender: Male

Lone working in callers office on Sunday

Post by postmanzach »

Is there extra pay working sunday?
joewyan
Posts: 382
Joined: 28 Jun 2016, 22:56
Gender: Male

Lone working in callers office on Sunday

Post by joewyan »

About an extra £1 per hour I think.
Navalron
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1044
Joined: 12 Aug 2017, 10:40
Gender: Male
Location: Glasgow

Lone working in callers office on Sunday

Post by Navalron »

An extra pound an hour when we used to get double time. Get has happened to the union. I knew it was f...d after the way forward agreement but ffs I still thought it was like parcel force who still get sat and Sun premium £3.50 for sat and £5.25 per hour for Sun and £61 per week 600 allowance. How times change as it was always parceforce guys trying to get back over to RM but seems that they have got the better deal now. And their hourly rate is only a few pence behind RM. w*****s. :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh
Navalron
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1044
Joined: 12 Aug 2017, 10:40
Gender: Male
Location: Glasgow

Lone working in callers office on Sunday

Post by Navalron »

Management obviously, not the workers. :oops: :oops:
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16700
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Lone working in callers office on Sunday

Post by clashcityrocker »

Every office is different.
There should have been a risk assessment done of your callers office. It might be acceptable in some offices to have lone workers.
In others that might be deemed a risk.
You would need to know what was agreed for your office.

Though for the record in our office lone working was deemed unacceptable and we always had 2 people working on Sunday, until they couldn't get 2 people and then they just put 1.
Is it an old office with glass between you and the customers or a swanky new open plan affair?
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
woofwoof
Posts: 1516
Joined: 13 Apr 2007, 16:23
Gender: Male
Location: stinky land

Lone working in callers office on Sunday

Post by woofwoof »

You should be getting Sunday Scheduled attendance pay rate for this and a lone person risk assessment should be in place if not it should be 2 members of staff
baz284
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 13
Joined: 30 Oct 2009, 20:19
Gender: Male

Lone working in callers office on Sunday

Post by baz284 »

Also unless you were employed to work a Sunday , Sunday work is voluntary
tmorg89
Posts: 3
Joined: 14 Jul 2017, 14:29
Gender: Male

Lone working in callers office on Sunday

Post by tmorg89 »

Apparently a lone worker risk assessment has been done for the office. But this was done way before they introduced the Sunday callers office duties
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

Lone working in callers office on Sunday

Post by aiden01 »

tmorg89 wrote:Apparently a lone worker risk assessment has been done for the office. But this was done way before they introduced the Sunday callers office duties
So no risk assesment done then.
Pyewacket
Posts: 15
Joined: 16 Aug 2017, 09:34
Gender: Male

Lone working in callers office on Sunday

Post by Pyewacket »

joewyan wrote:About an extra £1 per hour I think.
I work Sundays in the Callers Office and get an extra £5.25 per hour.
postman_jack
Posts: 78
Joined: 06 Mar 2010, 18:26
Gender: Male

Lone working in callers office on Sunday

Post by postman_jack »

Situation today. Supposed to be two in callers but only one turned up. Lone worker had no break and couldn’t even go to toilet as it was so busy. Tried ringing main manager , no answer, rang his line manager who responsible for the callers, no answer as phone was in his office.

Advice please as they are tamping