ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Newbie worried about being sacked for sick day

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
cobain20
Posts: 12
Joined: 25 Jun 2018, 14:46
Gender: Male

Newbie worried about being sacked for sick day

Post by cobain20 »

Hi

I am in a fresh probationary period (12 weeks??).
Yesterday on my route I was attacked on my right hand by a dangerous dog, which resulted in me attending A&E. .
Today I have phoned in sick as I cannot move my right hand, response this morning when I rang in, was that I HAD to come in; had to refuse as I can't drive!

So now I'm concerned that I will either face a disciplinary or be asked to leave.

Worth adding that I had NOT been shown where 'dog alert' notices were kept, and was not presented with accident book.

Any advice anyone?
Wornoutpostie
Posts: 100
Joined: 10 Dec 2016, 17:36
Gender: Male

Newbie worried about being sacked for sick day

Post by Wornoutpostie »

Contact your Rep....
number one
Posts: 1324
Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
Gender: Male

Newbie worried about being sacked for sick day

Post by number one »

Don’t worry you won’t be sacked
danterossetti
Posts: 136
Joined: 19 May 2013, 18:19
Gender: Male

Newbie worried about being sacked for sick day

Post by danterossetti »

Whoever said you HAD to come in to work is a bully.
Navalron
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1044
Joined: 12 Aug 2017, 10:40
Gender: Male
Location: Glasgow

Newbie worried about being sacked for sick day

Post by Navalron »

Go to your rep or area if no rep in office. Join union if not already. Next thing is to to office, see the twat, get the information into the ACCIDENT ON DUTY book/form and remember you will get full pay as this is an accident at work. Don't let the dom or lino tell you any other crap. If they try it get onto Sheffield HE and B and H their asses. Remember Full sick pay. Many of the troops before you came into the job went on strike, lots of times for the conditions that you still have like sick pay, paid dinner breaks ect. Use them. :wave
rehabron
Posts: 1372
Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
Gender: Male

Newbie worried about being sacked for sick day

Post by rehabron »

Don't know how long you may be absent for but you will have to set up contact details in line with the attendance procedure.
As you have sustained an injury on duty your manager should have recorded this by means of an ERICA and within 24 hours of the accident if possible.
When contacted by your manager with regards to your absence you need to mention the completion of the ERICA and if a union member this to be also stated to your union rep.
No justified reason to sack you but if not in the union get in touch with union rep and in your case should the situation develop further will support you on a retrospective basis until signed to the union.
Tomolo208
Posts: 102
Joined: 19 Feb 2017, 07:43
Gender: Male

Newbie worried about being sacked for sick day

Post by Tomolo208 »

I hope you took photos of your injury. You won't be paid sick pay as a new starter unless it's a work related injury, so you'll need your evidence at the ready.

Dog bites need to be taken seriously and reported properly so they (hopefully) can be prevented from happening to the next Postie that delivers to your area.

Do not worry about being sacked, it wont happen. Stay in touch on here if you need any advice. Defo find out who your union rep is, if they aren't any help contact your area rep.

I hope you recover soon and it doesn't hurt too much :)
cobain20
Posts: 12
Joined: 25 Jun 2018, 14:46
Gender: Male

Newbie worried about being sacked for sick day

Post by cobain20 »

Thanks EVERYONE for your responses, I feel a bit more reassured. I will be in contact with union rep tomorrow (although very little presence in my DO, not met the rep yet!). I will try and join via local office if possible.
I did take photos of injury, so have that recorded.
I have next few days rota'd off anyway, but back in later in the week - will get union informed in the meantime.

Not a good start to my role! Shame, as I really enjoy the job!
miles_peters
Posts: 298
Joined: 19 Jul 2014, 12:29
Gender: Male

Newbie worried about being sacked for sick day

Post by miles_peters »

maybe they wanted you to come in because it was an accident at work, but if you cant you cant so don't worry
FirstPost
Posts: 675
Joined: 16 Aug 2018, 09:37
Gender: Female

Newbie worried about being sacked for sick day

Post by FirstPost »

cobain20 wrote:Thanks EVERYONE for your responses, I feel a bit more reassured. I will be in contact with union rep tomorrow (although very little presence in my DO, not met the rep yet!). I will try and join via local office if possible.
I did take photos of injury, so have that recorded.
I have next few days rota'd off anyway, but back in later in the week - will get union informed in the meantime.

Not a good start to my role! Shame, as I really enjoy the job!
what was the outcome?