ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Gone sick today - multiple texts and calls?
-
camelelf
- Posts: 64
- Joined: 17 Oct 2015, 18:15
- Gender: Male
Gone sick today - multiple texts and calls?
So I texted a line manager this morning informing him that I’ve been signed off work for this week (only working thur-sat this week) and told them I should be back in on Monday.
Since then, I’ve had four phones calls from two line managers and the DOM, and multiple texts saying they need a chat and asking why I’m off sick.
I’m off sick because my mental health has deteriorated. I suffer from an eating/body disorder and usually keep it in check, but the last few days it has had me bed ridden with horrible thoughts. Doctor thought having this week off would do me good.
Do I need to answer these phone calls and texts, other than to inform them of my return? And do I need to tell them the exact reason why I’m off sick for three days?
Thanks
Since then, I’ve had four phones calls from two line managers and the DOM, and multiple texts saying they need a chat and asking why I’m off sick.
I’m off sick because my mental health has deteriorated. I suffer from an eating/body disorder and usually keep it in check, but the last few days it has had me bed ridden with horrible thoughts. Doctor thought having this week off would do me good.
Do I need to answer these phone calls and texts, other than to inform them of my return? And do I need to tell them the exact reason why I’m off sick for three days?
Thanks
-
tommyrep
- Posts: 561
- Joined: 28 Feb 2012, 21:57
- Gender: Male
Gone sick today - multiple texts and calls?
The doctors certificate will explain the reason you are unfit for work. You are being unfairly treated.
Their action is only exacerbating an already bad situation. This treatment, of what is basically a mental health issue, is long overdue serious attention by the CWU.
You do not need to set a date for any return to work, how can you say when you will be back especially with the added pressure being exerted. Contact your REP asp. This type of behaviour is unacceptable and you should seriously consider putting in a grievance against the line manager. They always try to portray the impression that they are only enquiring about your welfare. Mostly bollocks! It's another form of exerting pressure and simple intimidation.
Don't let them grind you down, your own health is much more important ! Best of luck.
Their action is only exacerbating an already bad situation. This treatment, of what is basically a mental health issue, is long overdue serious attention by the CWU.
You do not need to set a date for any return to work, how can you say when you will be back especially with the added pressure being exerted. Contact your REP asp. This type of behaviour is unacceptable and you should seriously consider putting in a grievance against the line manager. They always try to portray the impression that they are only enquiring about your welfare. Mostly bollocks! It's another form of exerting pressure and simple intimidation.
Don't let them grind you down, your own health is much more important ! Best of luck.
-
GT85
- Posts: 365
- Joined: 26 Nov 2013, 20:02
- Gender: Male
- Location: ASDO
Gone sick today - multiple texts and calls?
They don't like text messages, better to ring and tell them over the phone that your signed off. They auto assume that everyone is pulling a fast one so may be worth explaining to them the situation and why you've been signed off and then hopefully the harassment will stop as I'm sure that its not helping.
Good luck hope things improve for you.
Good luck hope things improve for you.
We're all here because we're not all there
-
Seymour Buts
- Posts: 1148
- Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
- Gender: Male
Gone sick today - multiple texts and calls?
You should phone and explain, it's not good to text to say you won't be there.
-
aiden01
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 7001
- Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
- Gender: Male
Gone sick today - multiple texts and calls?
He has just explained that he has reieved four phone callspostietom wrote:You should phone and explain, it's not good to text to say you won't be there.
from three different managers and multiple texts absolute disgrace.
-
camelelf
- Posts: 64
- Joined: 17 Oct 2015, 18:15
- Gender: Male
Gone sick today - multiple texts and calls?
Also, I didn’t just text ‘sorry boss I’m not coming in today’ I sent ‘morning, I’m texting you to let you know That I’ve been signed off this week by my doctor’aiden01 wrote:He has just explained that he has reieved four phone callspostietom wrote:You should phone and explain, it's not good to text to say you won't be there.
from three different managers and multiple texts absolute disgrace.
When I’ve rung before rather than texting, I’ve been given bullshit like ‘we’re really struggling, we need you’ or long pauses when I tell them why. I’ve only ever gone sick because of mental health once before, my other absences have been physical issues.
-
hothothot
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 422
- Joined: 06 Sep 2016, 13:15
- Gender: Male
Gone sick today - multiple texts and calls?
Always phone in, tell them Doc's signed me off with whatever ! Doesn't matter what they say they can huff and puff all they like. If he asked when you coming back tell him when my doctor says so. Don't stress over those arseholes. I know what your going through I suffer from mental health problems myself. Forget about work your of sick.
-
IloveMYredTROLLEY!
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1923
- Joined: 02 Apr 2010, 06:54
- Gender: Male
Gone sick today - multiple texts and calls?
As far as I'm aware, you or someone on your behalf needs to talk to a lino or DOM at your depot before the end of the first shift you are calling in sick, a text or answering machine massage is not enough to ensure you will get sick pay.
-
Seymour Buts
- Posts: 1148
- Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
- Gender: Male
Gone sick today - multiple texts and calls?
I know that's what they do, just tell 'em you're not well enough and that's it. I'm not being unsympathic, but I think it IS company policy to phone. I'm unsure about this but without a call you might not get paid and they could class you as awol rather than on sick. Cover your back and phone in.camelelf wrote:Also, I didn’t just text ‘sorry boss I’m not coming in today’ I sent ‘morning, I’m texting you to let you know That I’ve been signed off this week by my doctor’aiden01 wrote:He has just explained that he has reieved four phone callspostietom wrote:You should phone and explain, it's not good to text to say you won't be there.
from three different managers and multiple texts absolute disgrace.
When I’ve rung before rather than texting, I’ve been given bullshit like ‘we’re really struggling, we need you’ or long pauses when I tell them why. I’ve only ever gone sick because of mental health once before, my other absences have been physical issues.
Get well soon by the way.
-
MAILMAN84
- Posts: 186
- Joined: 04 May 2008, 14:05
Gone sick today - multiple texts and calls?
They have no morals. My last manager tried to start my paternity leave 2 weeks before the baby arrived to avoid sickpay.
-
arnold cheshire
- Posts: 5309
- Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
- Gender: Male
- Location: england
Gone sick today - multiple texts and calls?
Did you answer any of the calls? Has they say text or email to let them know you are sick is not acceptable
-
tomtom1dk
- Posts: 28
- Joined: 03 May 2008, 17:15
Gone sick today - multiple texts and calls?
Doctors train for seven years to make these decisions on your health and well being and if you are fit for work or not ...Royal male managers only medical training is first aid if you are lucky...they haven't a clue about your health or condition ...you have a doctor's sick paper saying your unfit for work... I would take his or her advice before my managers who certainly hasn't got your best interests at heart
-
rubberbond
- Posts: 1497
- Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
- Gender: Male
Gone sick today - multiple texts and calls?
It can't be policy to phone in , what if you're deaf,or hard of hearing? Reasonable adjustments and all that. It's about making contact,if it's by text then so be it , this is outrageous treatment , they boast about mental well being of their staff and then do this sort of thing.postietom wrote:I know that's what they do, just tell 'em you're not well enough and that's it. I'm not being unsympathic, but I think it IS company policy to phone. I'm unsure about this but without a call you might not get paid and they could class you as awol rather than on sick. Cover your back and phone in.camelelf wrote:Also, I didn’t just text ‘sorry boss I’m not coming in today’ I sent ‘morning, I’m texting you to let you know That I’ve been signed off this week by my doctor’aiden01 wrote:He has just explained that he has reieved four phone callspostietom wrote:You should phone and explain, it's not good to text to say you won't be there.
from three different managers and multiple texts absolute disgrace.
When I’ve rung before rather than texting, I’ve been given bullshit like ‘we’re really struggling, we need you’ or long pauses when I tell them why. I’ve only ever gone sick because of mental health once before, my other absences have been physical issues.
Get well soon by the way.
-
mattjo1@talktalk.net
- Posts: 93
- Joined: 20 Jun 2014, 21:11
- Gender: Male
Gone sick today - multiple texts and calls?
Totally incorrect, you have to phone in and speak to the Manager.
-
lightningpostman
- Posts: 271
- Joined: 22 Apr 2015, 20:54
- Gender: Male
Gone sick today - multiple texts and calls?
magager uses text messages to communicate that im being moved from one walk to another , swings and roundabouts, txt messages are also used as proof that comms have been made in both situations employee and managermattjo1@talktalk.net wrote:Totally incorrect, you have to phone in and speak to the Manager.