ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Reserve question

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Warriorpostie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 118
Joined: 23 Jan 2018, 17:01
Gender: Male

Reserve question

Post by Warriorpostie »

As a reserve, can I be made to work in a different delivery office at short notice? Or even at all?
Creditshampoo
Posts: 1189
Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
Gender: Male

Reserve question

Post by Creditshampoo »

In short yes. But they MUST allow you to start at your normal office at your normal time, provide transport to the loaned office, and provide transport back to your normal office, all within your duty time. So if you state that, its a no.
Kobi72
Posts: 43
Joined: 16 Sep 2012, 11:01
Gender: Male

Reserve question

Post by Kobi72 »

Yes they can...but its down to royal mail to get you there,unless you use your own car (you can claim your petrol costs back) think it's 45p per mile..but you sign in at your normal office start times,then make your way to the other office..take your meal relief & the time it takes you to get back to your office off your days hours..then sign out at your normal office finish time...hope this makes sense
Warriorpostie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 118
Joined: 23 Jan 2018, 17:01
Gender: Male

Reserve question

Post by Warriorpostie »

How much notice do I have to be given? More than 24 hours?
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12194
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Reserve question

Post by SpacePhoenix »

Kobi72 wrote:unless you use your own car (you can claim your petrol costs back) think it's 45p per mile..but you sign in at your normal office start times,then make your way to the other office..take your meal relief & the time it takes you to get back to your office off your days hours..then sign out at your normal office finish time...hope this makes sense
That might fall foul of car insurance rules/laws as commuting between sites of any firm afaik gets classed as business use, not covered as commuting
Warriorpostie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 118
Joined: 23 Jan 2018, 17:01
Gender: Male

Reserve question

Post by Warriorpostie »

SpacePhoenix wrote:
Kobi72 wrote:unless you use your own car (you can claim your petrol costs back) think it's 45p per mile..but you sign in at your normal office start times,then make your way to the other office..take your meal relief & the time it takes you to get back to your office off your days hours..then sign out at your normal office finish time...hope this makes sense
That might fall foul of car insurance rules/laws as commuting between sites of any firm afaik gets classed as business use, not covered as commuting
Excellent point! :dance I wouldn’t be insured for business use so a van would most certainly have to be provided.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72733
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Reserve question

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Warriorpostie wrote:How much notice do I have to be given? More than 24 hours?

As a reserve - no notice is required in the agreement, but I would expect a decent manager to give a heads up at least 1 day before. Of course, they may not be able to.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Warriorpostie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 118
Joined: 23 Jan 2018, 17:01
Gender: Male

Reserve question

Post by Warriorpostie »

After 9 years I would question if I am still a reserve since numerous staff employed after me. & I put in a grievance last week all seems coincidental that I’m now needed in a different delivery office.
ripio
Posts: 233
Joined: 06 Sep 2008, 23:32
Gender: Male

Reserve question

Post by ripio »

Last time I was a reserve, I didn't mind getting sent to other offices as you only end up doing about half your normal workload.
Half an hour or longer to get there and same again to get back, say an hour to an hour and a half to take off your delivery time.
Bit of orientation time at other office.
Working out where you are going, taking break, etc.
Thats another half hour gone.
Plus seemed to get treated like a human being by managers at other offices compared to ours.
joewyan
Posts: 382
Joined: 28 Jun 2016, 22:56
Gender: Male

Reserve question

Post by joewyan »

Warriorpostie wrote:After 9 years I would question if I am still a reserve since numerous staff employed after me. & I put in a grievance last week all seems coincidental that I’m now needed in a different delivery office.
You are a reserve if you don’t have a fixed walk or fixed cover duty regardless of length of service.
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

Reserve question

Post by Celgar »

Yes. They can send you where they like
Regarding transport I would personally tell them you won't be using your own car to get there.
No. They are not required to give you any notice. It usually happens when an office had an excess of staff which is a rare occurrence nowadays. Alternatively if there are staff shortages everywhere than an office that had less staff shortages may be pressured to 'donate' a postie to another office.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
Warriorpostie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 118
Joined: 23 Jan 2018, 17:01
Gender: Male

Reserve question

Post by Warriorpostie »

If a reserve is to be sent to a different D.O does it not go by seniority of the reserves? I.e last in would be sent first. Me personally I think they are doing this to get rid of me since I put in a grievance last week. Anyone with a brain can see this is just a punishment for speaking out.
cpsteve
Posts: 699
Joined: 20 Apr 2016, 15:46
Gender: Male

Reserve question

Post by cpsteve »

Warriorpostie wrote:If a reserve is to be sent to a different D.O does it not go by seniority of the reserves? I.e last in would be sent first. Me personally I think they are doing this to get rid of me since I put in a grievance last week. Anyone with a brain can see this is just a punishment for speaking out.
Normally its seniority so you should get the pick of the walks as the senior reserve, if you do not take a walk then its a gamble on your part.