ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Duty being taken off me- where do I stand officially please
-
Supermac0151
- Posts: 72
- Joined: 11 Apr 2015, 08:28
- Gender: Male
Duty being taken off me- where do I stand officially please
So the manager has decided to make the office lapse and has earmarked my walk to be taken off me and broken up as required. I know for a fact if any other senior members faced this they would cause hell...where do I stand with this? Surely it can't be right for me to have a walk then just be stripped and put as a reserve? It makes a mockery of seniority to coz there'll be a bunch of people way down the seniority list with actual duties etc. I just want to know if anyone can tell me of any official route they have to take or if I can actually contest it? Many thanks all
-
woody38
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 273
- Joined: 19 Apr 2016, 08:38
- Gender: Male
Duty being taken off me- where do I stand officially please
Sorry son nothing u can do the same thing happened to me a few years ago, I. never went on that walk again apart from 2 weeks at Christmas, tried the Union everything’nothing they would do for me.Supermac0151 wrote:So the manager has decided to make the office lapse and has earmarked my walk to be taken off me and broken up as required. I know for a fact if any other senior members faced this they would cause hell...where do I stand with this? Surely it can't be right for me to have a walk then just be stripped and put as a reserve? It makes a mockery of seniority to coz there'll be a bunch of people way down the seniority list with actual duties etc. I just want to know if anyone can tell me of any official route they have to take or if I can actually contest it? Many thanks all
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72733
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Duty being taken off me- where do I stand officially please
find out why they selected your duty.
If the reasons make sense such as its close to the office or fairly central to the rest of the duties, then nothing.
What I would also ask though is what has happened to change the previous Lapsing Duty
If the reasons make sense such as its close to the office or fairly central to the rest of the duties, then nothing.
What I would also ask though is what has happened to change the previous Lapsing Duty
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
P13
- Posts: 1016
- Joined: 11 Oct 2007, 14:35
- Gender: Male
Duty being taken off me- where do I stand officially please
The office I work in lapsing duties are identified before anyone signs for them , if you sign for one of them then you are aware you may be taken off them.
-
woody38
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 273
- Joined: 19 Apr 2016, 08:38
- Gender: Male
Duty being taken off me- where do I stand officially please
They flex/lapse more duties we have 2 all year round except Christmas but summer period they flex more last year it was 3 this year I heard it’s 4 or maybe 5 if they can get away with it, don’t know why they bother flexing at all really because most of it never goes out the office. My job is to take the flex what the postie can’t do, they leave so much sometimes Iam out 5 or 6 hours.
-
Celgar
- Posts: 2795
- Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
- Gender: Male
Duty being taken off me- where do I stand officially please
That happened in our office years ago. A senior postie was moved off his walk which was immediately outside the sorting office so it made sense logically. The senior postie then took the walk I was on as he knew how to do it already. I got moved onto another walk that was free I think as another postie had resigned. So I suggest maybe asking if you can take one of the other walks if you are above them in the seniority list. It will cause additional bad feeling of course. I wasn't too happy at the time about being forcibly removed from a walk but I am still on that walk so it ended alright in the end.Supermac0151 wrote:So the manager has decided to make the office lapse and has earmarked my walk to be taken off me and broken up as required. I know for a fact if any other senior members faced this they would cause hell...where do I stand with this? Surely it can't be right for me to have a walk then just be stripped and put as a reserve? It makes a mockery of seniority to coz there'll be a bunch of people way down the seniority list with actual duties etc. I just want to know if anyone can tell me of any official route they have to take or if I can actually contest it? Many thanks all
DOMs do have the right to move posties to other walks or even other offices miles away at any time for operational reasons apparently. They generally don't like to though as it upsets the applecart.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
-
ThatsNotPlumb
- Posts: 165
- Joined: 08 Feb 2012, 22:33
- Gender: Male
Duty being taken off me- where do I stand officially please
When a duty has been scrapped, the person that owns that duty being done away with, even if they are the most senior person in the DO/MC, can't take whatever duty they want right then & there, even more so if the person currently on the desired duty actually signed for it at the last re-sign/opening.Celgar wrote:That happened in our office years ago. A senior postie was moved off his walk which was immediately outside the sorting office so it made sense logically. The senior postie then took the walk I was on as he knew how to do it already. I got moved onto another walk that was free I think as another postie had resigned. So I suggest maybe asking if you can take one of the other walks if you are above them in the seniority list. It will cause additional bad feeling of course. I wasn't too happy at the time about being forcibly removed from a walk but I am still on that walk so it ended alright in the end.
DOMs do have the right to move posties to other walks or even other offices miles away at any time for operational reasons apparently. They generally don't like to though as it upsets the applecart.
The only way you could be put off it, would be is if the person on the walk didn't actually sign for it & is/was a floater/reserve that's just 'sitting on it'.
-
Celgar
- Posts: 2795
- Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
- Gender: Male
Duty being taken off me- where do I stand officially please
What I wrote did happen to me. I was quite a few years ago when we still had bike deliveries. It goes to show as others have experienced that rules in RM can be broken by RM or the CWU and you can often do little to stop it.ThatsNotPlumb wrote:When a duty has been scrapped, the person that owns that duty being done away with, even if they are the most senior person in the DO/MC, can't take whatever duty they want right then & there, even more so if the person currently on the desired duty actually signed for it at the last re-sign/opening.Celgar wrote:That happened in our office years ago. A senior postie was moved off his walk which was immediately outside the sorting office so it made sense logically. The senior postie then took the walk I was on as he knew how to do it already. I got moved onto another walk that was free I think as another postie had resigned. So I suggest maybe asking if you can take one of the other walks if you are above them in the seniority list. It will cause additional bad feeling of course. I wasn't too happy at the time about being forcibly removed from a walk but I am still on that walk so it ended alright in the end.
DOMs do have the right to move posties to other walks or even other offices miles away at any time for operational reasons apparently. They generally don't like to though as it upsets the applecart.
The only way you could be put off it, would be is if the person on the walk didn't actually sign for it & is/was a floater/reserve that's just 'sitting on it'.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
-
LaggyBand
- Posts: 1065
- Joined: 29 Jun 2015, 14:07
- Gender: Male
Duty being taken off me- where do I stand officially please
Two types of rules.Celgar wrote:What I wrote did happen to me. I was quite a few years ago when we still had bike deliveries. It goes to show as others have experienced that rules in RM can be broken by RM or the CWU and you can often do little to stop it.ThatsNotPlumb wrote:When a duty has been scrapped, the person that owns that duty being done away with, even if they are the most senior person in the DO/MC, can't take whatever duty they want right then & there, even more so if the person currently on the desired duty actually signed for it at the last re-sign/opening.Celgar wrote:That happened in our office years ago. A senior postie was moved off his walk which was immediately outside the sorting office so it made sense logically. The senior postie then took the walk I was on as he knew how to do it already. I got moved onto another walk that was free I think as another postie had resigned. So I suggest maybe asking if you can take one of the other walks if you are above them in the seniority list. It will cause additional bad feeling of course. I wasn't too happy at the time about being forcibly removed from a walk but I am still on that walk so it ended alright in the end.
DOMs do have the right to move posties to other walks or even other offices miles away at any time for operational reasons apparently. They generally don't like to though as it upsets the applecart.
The only way you could be put off it, would be is if the person on the walk didn't actually sign for it & is/was a floater/reserve that's just 'sitting on it'.
Rules that clear mail.
Rules that don’t clear mail.
That distinction is the most important to make. Application turns on this.
-
ThatsNotPlumb
- Posts: 165
- Joined: 08 Feb 2012, 22:33
- Gender: Male
Duty being taken off me- where do I stand officially please
I don't doubt that for a second, "rules/agreements" are broken left, right & centre in RM.Celgar wrote:What I wrote did happen to me. I was quite a few years ago when we still had bike deliveries. It goes to show as others have experienced that rules in RM can be broken by RM or the CWU and you can often do little to stop it.ThatsNotPlumb wrote:When a duty has been scrapped, the person that owns that duty being done away with, even if they are the most senior person in the DO/MC, can't take whatever duty they want right then & there, even more so if the person currently on the desired duty actually signed for it at the last re-sign/opening.Celgar wrote:That happened in our office years ago. A senior postie was moved off his walk which was immediately outside the sorting office so it made sense logically. The senior postie then took the walk I was on as he knew how to do it already. I got moved onto another walk that was free I think as another postie had resigned. So I suggest maybe asking if you can take one of the other walks if you are above them in the seniority list. It will cause additional bad feeling of course. I wasn't too happy at the time about being forcibly removed from a walk but I am still on that walk so it ended alright in the end.
DOMs do have the right to move posties to other walks or even other offices miles away at any time for operational reasons apparently. They generally don't like to though as it upsets the applecart.
The only way you could be put off it, would be is if the person on the walk didn't actually sign for it & is/was a floater/reserve that's just 'sitting on it'.
My understanding of it is if the duty you've signed for is scrapped or absorbed by other duties permanently, then it's just bad luck & you are basically a reserve until the next re-sign or until the next vacant walk opens up. They can't just have any duty they want just because they've some seniority over the person on it, unless you're willing to give it up & move or as I say, if the person on the desired duty doesn't actually 'own it'.. which is common as in the last year or so in my DO they actually started listing the vacant duties on a notice board every month that people can sign for, some of which had people on them for over year & they never actually owned the duty.
-
Ozzvaldo
- Posts: 476
- Joined: 15 Jul 2012, 20:35
- Gender: Female
Duty being taken off me- where do I stand officially please
I got booted off a fairly easy HCT duty immediately outside the office for the same reason about 3 years ago. I wasn't particularly happy about it, but just had to to get on with being a reserve until something else came up for me to apply for. I had well over 20 years service in when it happened, and I'm not one who backs down from arguing with the management when required, but my union rep (who's pretty good in my opinion) advised me that they were within regulations to do so.
Don't stew over it, it really isn't worth the stress.
Don't stew over it, it really isn't worth the stress.
-
Patti-Ann
- Posts: 68
- Joined: 17 May 2014, 09:57
- Gender: Female
Duty being taken off me- where do I stand officially please
I'm a long time postie (nearly 40 years) and top of the seniority list. I cut off most days, as I find the five hour delivery span long enough without doing extra on top. I job share and am currently on my week off. Last week my line manager said they might try to 'find me a shorter duty'. Reading this thread it seems they can't just put me onto one (if someone has already signed for it), so it seems I'll either get a duty that no-one else wants or be made into a reserve and shifted about. Now you've got me worried for when I go back next Thursday.
After all these years I don't want to be moved about like a chess piece
After all these years I don't want to be moved about like a chess piece
-
LaggyBand
- Posts: 1065
- Joined: 29 Jun 2015, 14:07
- Gender: Male
Duty being taken off me- where do I stand officially please
It’s an interesting point; does operational need allow moving someone because it “reduces the chance of a cut off which we can’t cover”Patti-Ann wrote:I'm a long time postie (nearly 40 years) and top of the seniority list. I cut off most days, as I find the five hour delivery span long enough without doing extra on top. I job share and am currently on my week off. Last week my line manager said they might try to 'find me a shorter duty'. Reading this thread it seems they can't just put me onto one (if someone has already signed for it), so it seems I'll either get a duty that no-one else wants or be made into a reserve and shifted about. Now you've got me worried for when I go back next Thursday.![]()
After all these years I don't want to be moved about like a chess piece
If so, then the scope really is wide. They might as well just be honest and say we can move whoever, whenever.
This is the sort of thing I wish the union would secure. Clarification. Something to point to on the floor. I never get what I want boohoo
-
mr hil.
- Posts: 424
- Joined: 19 Sep 2007, 18:22
- Gender: Male
Duty being taken off me- where do I stand officially please
I thought that if a duty holder was unable to complete his delivery within its time then either the duty had to be re-timed or the duty holder should receive "coaching" to enable him to reach an acceptable performance level. If after coaching the duty holder was still not up to speed they could be dismissed!!!! The crux of all this is that there are no official standards for delivery recognized by the union and RM so any measurement can not be used as evidence of poor performance (Except the 1 minute prep test I think) so you can not really be dismissed for being slower....or can you??
-
Patti-Ann
- Posts: 68
- Joined: 17 May 2014, 09:57
- Gender: Female
Duty being taken off me- where do I stand officially please
I'm slower because I'm over 60 - surely it would be unfair dismissal to get rid of me for not being able to go at the speed I used tomr hil. wrote:I thought that if a duty holder was unable to complete his delivery within its time then either the duty had to be re-timed or the duty holder should receive "coaching" to enable him to reach an acceptable performance level. If after coaching the duty holder was still not up to speed they could be dismissed!!!! The crux of all this is that there are no official standards for delivery recognized by the union and RM so any measurement can not be used as evidence of poor performance (Except the 1 minute prep test I think) so you can not really be dismissed for being slower....or can you??