ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Called a racist!

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
foxyjarvis
Posts: 51
Joined: 21 Mar 2011, 22:53
Gender: Male

Called a racist!

Post by foxyjarvis »

On Tuesday I delivered some parcels. The home help answered from the basement, and gestered with her hand to throw them downstairs, which I did, and they landed at her feet. Today, the homeowner stops me in the street, and complains about this and my general demeanour. She then says she's been on What's App canvassing opinion, with some positive and negative feedback. This was starting to feel like a witch hunt, and I defended myself, never losing control. Then completely out of the blue, in the context of what we had been talking about, she accused me of being a racist. I was horrified at this, and told her that until I receive a written apology, I will not deliver her mail. She mumbled a half apology, but then went back on the offensive. I phoned the manager and await developments. I may be a bit dour, but you could not do this job for 20 years, and not be found out if you were a racist.
number one
Posts: 1324
Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
Gender: Male

Called a racist!

Post by number one »

I can not follow this. You threw a parcel to a home help after they asked you to then the home owner calls you racist? What has whatsapp got to do with it?
Creditshampoo
Posts: 1189
Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
Gender: Male

Called a racist!

Post by Creditshampoo »

This sounds bloody confusing but don’t let anyone bother you
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72733
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Called a racist!

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

I know a few posties who don't think they are racist but often come out with racist comments, so yes it is possible for people to have different views on what is racism and what isn't.

It's a subjective issue when it comes down to it, at least till it enters the field of law.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Mobey
Posts: 291
Joined: 26 Jul 2016, 11:54
Gender: Male

Called a racist!

Post by Mobey »

Image
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72733
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Called a racist!

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

number one wrote:I can not follow this. You threw a parcel to a home help after they asked you to then the home owner calls you racist? What has whatsapp got to do with it?

That's how she canvassed opinion on his behaviour all be it with her slant on things, but then isn't he doing the same thing posting on here. For both sides, there is nothing wrong in canvassing opinion whether it's on whats app or RMC.

Is he a racist, were his actions racially motivated - from what he's posted no he isn't, but from her point of view, and probably the way she posted her side on whats app she was probably self-confirming her opinion.

In reality, as it is subjective only the 2 people that were there can say if there was any racism so yes I think it was uncalled to call the OP a racist, but perhaps the woman thinks she is only doing her best for her own staff. If she was, I can't help but admire the intent to protect her home help but would question the application of that intent.

If the OP was offended that's fair enough, but I am not sure if that's enough to refuse delivery of mail, that's normally done only on safety grounds.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
NWpostie
Posts: 3620
Joined: 04 Aug 2007, 17:32
Gender: Male
Location: Sector 001 Borg Collective, 6 o f 9

Called a racist!

Post by NWpostie »

It sounds to me she is doing the usual snowflake thing, posting it on social media and then barrack room lawyer telling her what she wants to hear then accusing the postie of racism.

Bit like a former member of this forum who saw racism in everything.

Just tell her to do one and get a life.
Six of Nine loves Seven of Nine, together in Electric Dreams.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72733
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Called a racist!

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

NWpostie wrote:It sounds to me she is doing the usual snowflake thing, posting it on social media and then barrack room lawyer telling her what she wants to hear then accusing the postie of racism.
Just what I said, but more to the point and less PC. :chuckle :chuckle
NWpostie wrote:Bit like a former member of this forum who saw racism in everything.
Shh, you might wake him up.
NWpostie wrote:Just tell her to do one and get a life.
I'd rather they didn't it wouldn't go down well and could get them in all sorts of pain. Sometimes turning the other cheek does make you a better person, or perhaps keeps you employed.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
foxyjarvis
Posts: 51
Joined: 21 Mar 2011, 22:53
Gender: Male

Called a racist!

Post by foxyjarvis »

There's a What's App for her street, and after her home help complained, she used it as I hardly ever see her. Her home help has been with the family a long time, so I get that she was fighting her corner. What was a misunderstanding at worst escalated because the home owner seemed to have a pre determined expectation of what I was supposed to say, and when I didn't follow her script, she got agitated and made the defamatory remark. My concern now is after her initial sounding out on What's App, she returned to it after our altercation, to raise her bogus racism charge.
TBT, being called a racist may not be enough for you to stop delivering someone's mail, but I'd like to ask the people on this forum, would they still deliver the post to someone who accused them of being a racist?
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Called a racist!

Post by fishtank »

would they still deliver the post to someone who accused them of being a racist?
Yes.
It's your job.
I'm struggling with something though, why did you throw a parcel at/to someone? Seems like a strange thing to do.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
maisymoo04
Posts: 2226
Joined: 07 Apr 2010, 17:11
Gender: Male
Location: You dont want to no

Called a racist!

Post by maisymoo04 »

:Applause :Applause :chuckle :chuckle :chuckle :chuckle :arrrghhh :arrrghhh
"Some day I will have the bottle to take the money"
NWpostie
Posts: 3620
Joined: 04 Aug 2007, 17:32
Gender: Male
Location: Sector 001 Borg Collective, 6 o f 9

Called a racist!

Post by NWpostie »

TartanBlueTerrier wrote:
NWpostie wrote:Just tell her to do one and get a life.
I'd rather they didn't it wouldn't go down well and could get them in all sorts of pain. Sometimes turning the other cheek does make you a better person, or perhaps keeps you employed.

Fair point it's more wishful thinking and not to be taken as read.

* Legal Disclaimer
This does not comprise as valid legal advice and should be undertaken at your own risk how ever much you like to tell the said person to remove herself in a derogatory manner :Very Happy
Six of Nine loves Seven of Nine, together in Electric Dreams.
wallop
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 251
Joined: 02 Feb 2011, 07:34
Gender: Male

Called a racist!

Post by wallop »

I find racist customers more than annoying.
Not sure why they think its fine to have a rant at the postie about their bigoted views but it seems to happen an awful lot.
I've lost count of the amount of times i've heard people going on about usually neighbouring areas being flooded with "them" etc.
I once said to an old girl that i liked a stool she had in her porch,She said i've had that for years i bought it in such and such a shop but i wouldn't go there now.
I asked why and was subjected to the most racist tirade i'd heard in some time about "them" "they stink" "makes me feel ill being near them" etc.
I just stood there listening to her and finished off the conversation by saying "mind you though they're all moving in round here now"
She said incredulously where?
I just made up some bull to wind her up and said something like well there's 3 round the corner,2 in the road behind and i've seen some looking at that house 3 doors down that's up for sale.
I just walked off and left her stewing.
foxyjarvis
Posts: 51
Joined: 21 Mar 2011, 22:53
Gender: Male

Called a racist!

Post by foxyjarvis »

Fishtank, if I deliver her post as normal, that's a tacit confirmation of her accusation. It might be part of your job description, not mine. The lady gestured to the floor by her feet to throw the post, which is what I did, I didn't aim it at her.