ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

New pay deal enquiry

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Hotspur Lad
Posts: 12
Joined: 14 Aug 2014, 20:10
Gender: Male

New pay deal enquiry

Post by Hotspur Lad »

Hi folks, apologies if this is not the correct area to post this question, please feel free to move it to the correct area if this is the case.

On the 5% rise backdated to October, does it include overtime as although I was p/time up until February and my basic hours were 25 I very rarely did under 34 hours and for the period of October to January it was more like 37. So my question is how is the 5% calculated eg just basic pay and is it worked out on just the period in question or an average for the whole year? Many thanks for your help, this forum has been an invaluable resource to answer my questions.
jimt81
Posts: 12
Joined: 29 Oct 2009, 21:17
Gender: Male

New pay deal enquiry

Post by jimt81 »

The pay rise if it is voted in, includes basic pay, overtime and allowances from 1 st October 2017.
Hotspur Lad
Posts: 12
Joined: 14 Aug 2014, 20:10
Gender: Male

New pay deal enquiry

Post by Hotspur Lad »

Many thanks jimt81, as a previous p/timer who only received basic pay for annual leave this comes as a pleasant surprise, let's hope it's not on condition of defining overtime which was a key issue in part timers not receiving their proper wage when on annual leave.
rehabron
Posts: 1372
Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
Gender: Male

New pay deal enquiry

Post by rehabron »

Hotspur Lad wrote:Hi folks, apologies if this is not the correct area to post this question, please feel free to move it to the correct area if this is the case.

On the 5% rise backdated to October, does it include overtime as although I was p/time up until February and my basic hours were 25 I very rarely did under 34 hours and for the period of October to January it was more like 37. So my question is how is the 5% calculated eg just basic pay and is it worked out on just the period in question or an average for the whole year? Many thanks for your help, this forum has been an invaluable resource to answer my questions.
If agreement is accepted then the pay deal is 5% backdated to 1st October 2017 across all the allowances i.e. overtime, scheduled attendance.
Your contracted hours are 25 until changed in February. If you have during the period from October 2017 to date have never exceeded 39 hours which is the full time contracted hours your pay backdated calculations will be based on 5% increase on basic rate but not 5% on overtime rate unless in certain weeks you have worked more than 39 hours.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

New pay deal enquiry

Post by Dorset Plodder »

I would have seen this Back Dated to April.... NOT November. How come we've dipped out on 6 months worth of Back Pay? Or are RM saying it was 2.5% backed from April? :hmmmm

Feels to me like a mate in the pub is saying, "I know I owe you a tenner mate.... but I'm only going to give you back a fiver"! :crazy:
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
rehabron
Posts: 1372
Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
Gender: Male

New pay deal enquiry

Post by rehabron »

Dorset Plodder wrote:I would have seen this Back Dated to April.... NOT November. How come we've dipped out on 6 months worth of Back Pay? Or are RM saying it was 2.5% backed from April? :hmmmm

Feels to me like a mate in the pub is saying, "I know I owe you a tenner mate.... but I'm only going to give you back a fiver"! :crazy:
5% pay rise through all allowances backdated to October 2017 not November is more money in your pocket than 2.5% backdated to April 2017. :nana :nana
robgolf1
Posts: 2
Joined: 07 Oct 2010, 12:14
Gender: Male

New pay deal enquiry

Post by robgolf1 »

I went from full time to part time in October,I do no overtime,I am going to lose out big time
number one
Posts: 1324
Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
Gender: Male

New pay deal enquiry

Post by number one »

robgolf1 wrote:I went from full time to part time in October,I do no overtime,I am going to lose out big time
Did you get a buy down?
robgolf1
Posts: 2
Joined: 07 Oct 2010, 12:14
Gender: Male

New pay deal enquiry

Post by robgolf1 »

No not on offer,just getting very tired,best thing I have done though.
rehabron
Posts: 1372
Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
Gender: Male

New pay deal enquiry

Post by rehabron »

robgolf1 wrote:No not on offer,just getting very tired,best thing I have done though.
The reduction from F/T hours to P/T hours was your choice then.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

New pay deal enquiry

Post by Dorset Plodder »

rehabron wrote:
Dorset Plodder wrote:I would have seen this Back Dated to April.... NOT November. How come we've dipped out on 6 months worth of Back Pay? Or are RM saying it was 2.5% backed from April? :hmmmm

Feels to me like a mate in the pub is saying, "I know I owe you a tenner mate.... but I'm only going to give you back a fiver"! :crazy:
5% pay rise through all allowances backdated to October 2017 not November is more money in your pocket than 2.5% backdated to April 2017. :nana :nana
What I was trying to say is whatever they've decided on I would like it back dated to April not October/November. IF it's 5% then lets have that 5% from April, otherwise it's a con. :sad: The Mugs will still go for it though once the DOMs say, " Vote Yes and you'll get £400" :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
Millbank33
Posts: 6
Joined: 31 Aug 2015, 11:09
Gender: Male

New pay deal enquiry

Post by Millbank33 »

If the deal gets voted in does any body no when will get paid it?
feduppostie
Posts: 947
Joined: 24 Jun 2007, 19:46

New pay deal enquiry

Post by feduppostie »

Dorset Plodder wrote:
rehabron wrote:
Dorset Plodder wrote:I would have seen this Back Dated to April.... NOT November. How come we've dipped out on 6 months worth of Back Pay? Or are RM saying it was 2.5% backed from April? :hmmmm

Feels to me like a mate in the pub is saying, "I know I owe you a tenner mate.... but I'm only going to give you back a fiver"! :crazy:
5% pay rise through all allowances backdated to October 2017 not November is more money in your pocket than 2.5% backdated to April 2017. :nana :nana
What I was trying to say is whatever they've decided on I would like it back dated to April not October/November. IF it's 5% then lets have that 5% from April, otherwise it's a con. :sad: The Mugs will still go for it though once the DOMs say, " Vote Yes and you'll get £400" :cuppa
I believe it was 2.5 from last April and 2.5 from this April - but instead we are getting 5% backdated to October to incorporate both - which does work out better - can someone confirm?
yellowbelly
Posts: 3727
Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
Gender: Male

New pay deal enquiry

Post by yellowbelly »

feduppostie wrote:
Dorset Plodder wrote:
rehabron wrote:
Dorset Plodder wrote:I would have seen this Back Dated to April.... NOT November. How come we've dipped out on 6 months worth of Back Pay? Or are RM saying it was 2.5% backed from April? :hmmmm

Feels to me like a mate in the pub is saying, "I know I owe you a tenner mate.... but I'm only going to give you back a fiver"! :crazy:
5% pay rise through all allowances backdated to October 2017 not November is more money in your pocket than 2.5% backdated to April 2017. :nana :nana
What I was trying to say is whatever they've decided on I would like it back dated to April not October/November. IF it's 5% then lets have that 5% from April, otherwise it's a con. :sad: The Mugs will still go for it though once the DOMs say, " Vote Yes and you'll get £400" :cuppa
I believe it was 2.5 from last April and 2.5 from this April - but instead we are getting 5% backdated to October to incorporate both - which does work out better - can someone confirm?
I think this is how it works (no doubt I will be corrected if wrong):

To illustrate it, if you base it on a plain 'vanilla' amount of a wage of 100 quid per month then add the percentage increases they're initially both exactly the same:

102.5 x 12 = 1230

or (100 x 6) + (105 x 6) = 1230 at the end of the year.

The first 'better' bit is if you factor in the extra hours you may have probably worked over the busier build up to Xmas, you will have earned 5% increase on those extra hours which are covered in the 6 month October to March period rather than 2.5%.

You will continue to earn 105 pounds Apr 18 to Apr 19 when you will get 107.10 (the 2 per cent increase) until Mar 20.

If you had only been on a 2.5 per cent rise from Apr 17 (102.5) then a further 2.5 per cent in Apr 18 (if that's what was suggested?) until Mar 20 you would be getting 105.06 roughly.

I think that's how the percentages and 'money in your pocket' has been worked out to be 'better'. I think RM will gain more benefit though from fewer hours classed as F/T working hours contributing towards pension contributions, delivery supplement payments etc. from the proposed SWW in the longer term. Blimey my brain hurts now.......