ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Leaving then returning to Royal Mail

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
youdidntknock
Posts: 3
Joined: 02 Mar 2018, 18:27
Gender: Male

Leaving then returning to Royal Mail

Post by youdidntknock »

Hello,

I've been a postie for a few years. I'm thinking of leaving, but one of my colleagues said something about there being a period during which you still have a chance to return to your previous job after leaving.

I'm hoping it won't be necessary - but does anyone have any information about this?

Cheers,
youdidntknock
Creditshampoo
Posts: 1189
Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
Gender: Male

Leaving then returning to Royal Mail

Post by Creditshampoo »

Try a career break
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32798
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Leaving then returning to Royal Mail

Post by POSTMAN »

As far as I'm aware there is no agreement for you to f**k off and if the grass aint greener you can slip back in as if nothing has happened and screw over some poor sod that has signed for your duty.
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
youdidntknock
Posts: 3
Joined: 02 Mar 2018, 18:27
Gender: Male

Leaving then returning to Royal Mail

Post by youdidntknock »

Creditshampoo wrote:Try a career break
I thought that, but I'm leaving for another job so I don't think I can.
POSTMAN wrote:As far as I'm aware there is no agreement for you to f**k off and if the grass aint greener you can slip back in as if nothing has happened and screw over some poor sod that has signed for your duty.
I'm sure I've heard of it. Someone else seemed to have heard of it here, but I don't know what the outcome was:
https://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communi ... 56&t=83790

This thread seems to mention something similar: https://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communi ... =1&t=63912

And in this thread (https://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communi ... =1&t=84298) someone says:
if she had left after a year she could have returned to the same job without losing her seniority after 6 weeks or after a career break without having to wait for a vacancy
Just wondering if anyone knows anything a bit more specific.
ted_e_bear
Posts: 4110
Joined: 03 Sep 2012, 19:37
Gender: Male

Leaving then returning to Royal Mail

Post by ted_e_bear »

POSTMAN wrote:As far as I'm aware there is no agreement for you to f**k off and if the grass aint greener you can slip back in as if nothing has happened and screw over some poor sod that has signed for your duty.
To put it slightly less bluntly, if you leave you've left.end of, you can re-apply then start again at the bottom. Oh hang on no your previous service counts towards leave entitlement.
Sputters2017
Posts: 79
Joined: 08 Aug 2017, 16:12
Gender: Male

Leaving then returning to Royal Mail

Post by Sputters2017 »

You will loose your seniority but keep any leave entitlement you had .