ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

bike or shared van

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
gunho
Posts: 59
Joined: 08 Jan 2010, 20:15
Gender: Male

bike or shared van

Post by gunho »

I know them days are gone forever but what do you prefer. I myself would have the bike back and van drivers doing the parcels, go at your own pace and not working with people who are p***ks!
eastie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2234
Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 15:32
Gender: Male

bike or shared van

Post by eastie »

We did away with bike rounds 15 years ago
Rumple
Posts: 429
Joined: 20 Nov 2013, 10:45
Gender: Male

bike or shared van

Post by Rumple »

gunho wrote:I know them days are gone forever but what do you prefer. I myself would have the bike back and van drivers doing the parcels, go at your own pace and not working with people who are p***ks!
Id have the bikes back, but as they say, "nostalgia, it not what it used to be!"
Seymour Buts
Posts: 1148
Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

bike or shared van

Post by Seymour Buts »

Can't comment about the bikes (long before my time) but every duty I've ever done would work better as a single duty. The best days are when I'm on one of the very few single duties in our office or you end up alone coz the other person on the shared duty has knocked up.

You can work at your own pace, organise the van as you like, there's much more space, no hanging around for somebody else ect ect ect. The whole thing works better.
CPTNemoUK
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 707
Joined: 03 Oct 2013, 10:13
Gender: Male

bike or shared van

Post by CPTNemoUK »

postietom wrote:Can't comment about the bikes (long before my time) but every duty I've ever done would work better as a single duty. The best days are when I'm on one of the very few single duties in our office or you end up alone coz the other person on the shared duty has knocked up.

You can work at your own pace, organise the van as you like, there's much more space, no hanging around for somebody else ect ect ect. The whole thing works better.
This the duty I am on is big. But because I am on my own I get round quite comfortably on time. But last week it got paired with the trolley walk, for one reason or the other. Ended up going over 1hr-1.30 way day and we even left in a row each day.
Brandy
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 729
Joined: 12 Sep 2011, 21:03
Gender: Female

bike or shared van

Post by Brandy »

Loved the bikes,and missed them when they were stopped,even took a photo of mine on my last day of using it! How sad is that! But at least when you were on your own you only had yourself to answer to,dont get me wrong most of the other posties I worked in a van with were great,and most worked as a team which is how it should be,but at least with the bikes you didnt have to walk the distances that you do now.You never know in the distant future a bright spark within RM may come up with the idea why dont we put posties on bikes!! :chuckle
Seymour Buts
Posts: 1148
Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

bike or shared van

Post by Seymour Buts »

CPTNemoUK wrote:
postietom wrote:Can't comment about the bikes (long before my time) but every duty I've ever done would work better as a single duty. The best days are when I'm on one of the very few single duties in our office or you end up alone coz the other person on the shared duty has knocked up.

You can work at your own pace, organise the van as you like, there's much more space, no hanging around for somebody else ect ect ect. The whole thing works better.
This the duty I am on is big. But because I am on my own I get round quite comfortably on time. But last week it got paired with the trolley walk, for one reason or the other. Ended up going over 1hr-1.30 way day and we even left in a row each day.
Exactly the same has happened to me. There's a duty that is officially paired, but the guy on one of them prefers hct's and it isn't too far from our office so he's happy to take that out and leave the driver to it. He takes some mail in exchange for the oversized. Both are bigger duties but you can get round either comfortably within our time frames. Pair them and it's a whole different story, 60 - 90 minutes over unless it's really quiet. It's odd given you're really doing exactly the same amount of work but things just work better when you're alone and can do it how you want.
Mr Rush
Posts: 3345
Joined: 05 Aug 2011, 14:27
Gender: Male

bike or shared van

Post by Mr Rush »

postietom wrote:but every duty I've ever done would work better as a single duty.
Amen. When the useless planners came back to revise the mess of a revision they'd made, they asked me where the pouch boxes were on the duty. When I asked why they needed to know that, they basically told me it gets the duty done faster. There are a number of walks in the office that are set up this way :roll:
The machine stops.