ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Can I refuse to do a round?
-
Rlb123
- Posts: 9
- Joined: 18 Jan 2018, 17:20
- Gender: Female
Can I refuse to do a round?
Hi,
Iv only been with Royal Mail for two months and next week I am on my own pushing one of the big trolleys. I have never done the walk before. Iv told the manager I’m not confident doing it and have asked to be swapped with someone else and he just laughed and said I will be fine. Can anybody tell me where I stand please?
Thanks
Iv only been with Royal Mail for two months and next week I am on my own pushing one of the big trolleys. I have never done the walk before. Iv told the manager I’m not confident doing it and have asked to be swapped with someone else and he just laughed and said I will be fine. Can anybody tell me where I stand please?
Thanks
-
banner
- Posts: 125
- Joined: 04 Jun 2007, 16:38
Can I refuse to do a round?
2 months? I was sent on my own after 3 days.
-
greengiant
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1268
- Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
- Gender: Male
Can I refuse to do a round?
Perhaps speak to the regular postie on the trolley round, ask if they have any tips for doing the round, and then look on it as a learning experience?Rlb123 wrote:Hi,
Iv only been with Royal Mail for two months and next week I am on my own pushing one of the big trolleys. I have never done the walk before. Iv told the manager I’m not confident doing it and have asked to be swapped with someone else and he just laughed and said I will be fine. Can anybody tell me where I stand please?
Thanks
-
kingeric
- Posts: 133
- Joined: 12 Jan 2013, 13:45
- Gender: Male
Can I refuse to do a round?
Sounds like he's not took you serious and thought you was joking.
In all honesty he's right. You'll be fine. Most would agree that HCT walks are the easiest delivery duties going
In all honesty he's right. You'll be fine. Most would agree that HCT walks are the easiest delivery duties going
-
Rlb123
- Posts: 9
- Joined: 18 Jan 2018, 17:20
- Gender: Female
Can I refuse to do a round?
Iv been on my own lots of times just never with a hctbanner wrote:2 months? I was sent on my own after 3 days.
-
Xr4
- Posts: 107
- Joined: 23 Apr 2016, 09:15
- Gender: Male
Can I refuse to do a round?
Ask for a map as soon as you get in and keep on asking till you get it, make sure your phone is fully charged with Google maps ready and don't be bullied into taking specials that you don't think you'll make.
Ask someone who knows the round for tips, short cuts and how to tie it up And write it down.
Trolley rounds are mostly easy, usually just follow your nose
Ask someone who knows the round for tips, short cuts and how to tie it up And write it down.
Trolley rounds are mostly easy, usually just follow your nose
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72733
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Can I refuse to do a round?
To answer the basic question. Sorry no, you can't refuse. its classed as a reasonable request. However, you still don't have to do overtime to complete it.Rlb123 wrote:Hi,
Iv only been with Royal Mail for two months and next week I am on my own pushing one of the big trolleys. I have never done the walk before. Iv told the manager I’m not confident doing it and have asked to be swapped with someone else and he just laughed and said I will be fine. Can anybody tell me where I stand please?
Thanks
To be honest, if you have done only CDV duties you might find this easier as you have no one trying to rush you or slow you down, you cant go at your own reasonable pace. Read up on the security guidelines and check out the duty on Google earth to familiarise yourself and you should be ok.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
greengiant
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1268
- Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
- Gender: Male
Can I refuse to do a round?
A couple of tips from when I went out on a HCT round not long after starting.Rlb123 wrote:Iv been on my own lots of times just never with a htcbanner wrote:2 months? I was sent on my own after 3 days.
Number your bundles of mail, and load the trolley so that the first bundles & packets are at the top, and the last bundles and packets are at the bottom. A bit of time spent organising the trolley will save time on the street, as you won't need to rummage around the trolley to find the next bundle!
Depending on amount of mail / packets, you could try putting the mail in one half of trolley, packets in the other half, so that the stuff you need first is at the top.
At least you won't have any oversize packets to do!
-
Rlb123
- Posts: 9
- Joined: 18 Jan 2018, 17:20
- Gender: Female
Can I refuse to do a round?
It’s his week off now. Never mind just looks like I’ll have to get on with it.greengiant wrote:Perhaps speak to the regular postie on the trolley round, ask if they have any tips for doing the round, and then look on it as a learning experience?Rlb123 wrote:Hi,
Iv only been with Royal Mail for two months and next week I am on my own pushing one of the big trolleys. I have never done the walk before. Iv told the manager I’m not confident doing it and have asked to be swapped with someone else and he just laughed and said I will be fine. Can anybody tell me where I stand please?
Thanks
-
Creditshampoo
- Posts: 1189
- Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
- Gender: Male
Can I refuse to do a round?
Put your loops in bags makes it easier to organise
-
Xr4
- Posts: 107
- Joined: 23 Apr 2016, 09:15
- Gender: Male
Can I refuse to do a round?
There's more than just one person that knows the round, ask either the day off cover or the managerRlb123 wrote:
It’s his week off now. Never mind just looks like I’ll have to get on with it.
-
Rlb123
- Posts: 9
- Joined: 18 Jan 2018, 17:20
- Gender: Female
Can I refuse to do a round?
Will do, thanks.Xr4 wrote:Ask for a map as soon as you get in and keep on asking till you get it, make sure your phone is fully charged with Google maps ready and don't be bullied into taking specials that you don't think you'll make.
Ask someone who knows the round for tips, short cuts and how to tie it up And write it down.
Trolley rounds are mostly easy, usually just follow your nose
-
banner
- Posts: 125
- Joined: 04 Jun 2007, 16:38
Can I refuse to do a round?
Rlb123 wrote:Iv been on my own lots of times just never with a hctbanner wrote:2 months? I was sent on my own after 3 days.
Oh, I see.
Why is it much different to doing a cdv? The hct is just in place of the van, the loops just take you back to the trolley instead of a van. The only real difference is in organizing the trolley but surely someone in the office will assist you there. If you get the trolley prepped right you'll be fine.
-
kingeric
- Posts: 133
- Joined: 12 Jan 2013, 13:45
- Gender: Male
Can I refuse to do a round?
As well as having Google maps handy this is the best advice you will get regarding a hct walk.greengiant wrote:A couple of tips from when I went out on a HCT round not long after starting.Rlb123 wrote:Iv been on my own lots of times just never with a htcbanner wrote:2 months? I was sent on my own after 3 days.
Number your bundles of mail, and load the trolley so that the first bundles & packets are at the top, and the last bundles and packets are at the bottom. A bit of time spent organising the trolley will save time on the street, as you won't need to rummage around the trolley to find the next bundle!
Depending on amount of mail / packets, you could try putting the mail in one half of trolley, packets in the other half, so that the stuff you need first is at the top.
At least you won't have any oversize packets to do!
-
gone postal
- Posts: 98
- Joined: 16 May 2012, 19:30
- Gender: Male
Can I refuse to do a round?
Remember the max time limit to leave unattended is 10minutes. So your going to have much smaller loops than your used to on the CDV's duty.