ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
overlooked for full time-performance issues!
-
turnyitb
- Posts: 11
- Joined: 21 Jun 2017, 18:17
- Gender: Male
overlooked for full time-performance issues!
I am on a part time 30 hour contract over 5 days and have been with the business over 4 years.
In November there a number of part timers made up to full time in my office including a couple of people that started the same day as me and a couple who started 3 months after me.
I waited a while thinking I would be asked but nothing materialised so I went in to see my Dom to ask why people with lower seniority than me had been made up but I hadn't.
The Dom was very abrupt with me and claiming I was overlooked due to performance issues and basically tough s**t!
In 4 years I have never been conduct coded or been told by anyone manager or otherwise that I have problems doing the job.
in the 4 years I have been pushed from pillar to post, worked 95% of the walks in the office (big office) and been shipped out many times to 6 or more other local offices.
Often I come in at 8-30am , even now, to unprepped or partially prepped frames and have to prep before I go out often leaving not enough time to complete the delivery.
now this is what I think is the problem. I have young children I regularly have to pick up from school so the days I can work over are limited so on days when I come in to a frame that's unprepped I end up leaving some behind or cutting off. I always follow procedure when doing this.
when possible I do stay out and finish and come in early on a majority of days when asked but compared with others I don't do a great deal of overtime.
the union rep doesn't want to know as I am not in the union so what I would like to know is where do I stand regards my seniority being overlooked when staff are offered full time and is there a worthwhile grievance procedure for a non union postie?
2 months on I have not had any suggestions or training regards my supposed "performance issues" and the Dom hasn't mentioned it again.
In November there a number of part timers made up to full time in my office including a couple of people that started the same day as me and a couple who started 3 months after me.
I waited a while thinking I would be asked but nothing materialised so I went in to see my Dom to ask why people with lower seniority than me had been made up but I hadn't.
The Dom was very abrupt with me and claiming I was overlooked due to performance issues and basically tough s**t!
In 4 years I have never been conduct coded or been told by anyone manager or otherwise that I have problems doing the job.
in the 4 years I have been pushed from pillar to post, worked 95% of the walks in the office (big office) and been shipped out many times to 6 or more other local offices.
Often I come in at 8-30am , even now, to unprepped or partially prepped frames and have to prep before I go out often leaving not enough time to complete the delivery.
now this is what I think is the problem. I have young children I regularly have to pick up from school so the days I can work over are limited so on days when I come in to a frame that's unprepped I end up leaving some behind or cutting off. I always follow procedure when doing this.
when possible I do stay out and finish and come in early on a majority of days when asked but compared with others I don't do a great deal of overtime.
the union rep doesn't want to know as I am not in the union so what I would like to know is where do I stand regards my seniority being overlooked when staff are offered full time and is there a worthwhile grievance procedure for a non union postie?
2 months on I have not had any suggestions or training regards my supposed "performance issues" and the Dom hasn't mentioned it again.
-
postslippete
- Posts: 4196
- Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
- Gender: Male
overlooked for full time-performance issues!
You don't have to be in the Union to make a formal grievance against your employer but in situations like this the CWU will help you out, tell you exactly what you need to write and fight your corner.
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
-
ebbzie
- Posts: 660
- Joined: 14 Jun 2011, 17:22
- Gender: Male
overlooked for full time-performance issues!
Of course the union rep doesnt want to know. Why do you think most people pay subs each week? If we all got free rep support no one would pay them
-
turnyitb
- Posts: 11
- Joined: 21 Jun 2017, 18:17
- Gender: Male
overlooked for full time-performance issues!
I didn't say he had to "want to know"ebbzie wrote:Of course the union rep doesnt want to know. Why do you think most people pay subs each week? If we all got free rep support no one would pay them
but thanks for your input!
-
Creditshampoo
- Posts: 1189
- Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
- Gender: Male
overlooked for full time-performance issues!
Either grievance or join the union. Sounds like you should join anyway tbh
-
jd9442
- Posts: 218
- Joined: 22 Apr 2017, 20:57
- Gender: Male
overlooked for full time-performance issues!
Why bother asking the rep to begin with lol
Also why do you want more hours if you can’t do more hours due to children
Also why do you want more hours if you can’t do more hours due to children
-
joewyan
- Posts: 382
- Joined: 28 Jun 2016, 22:56
- Gender: Male
overlooked for full time-performance issues!
You need to file a grievance against the manager as you have been overlooked for no valid reason. This can easily be done without the Union as I have done that before. You just need to find out the name of the manager about your DOM and write a formal grievance to them explaining the situation and wanting an immediate rectification of the situation.turnyitb wrote:I am on a part time 30 hour contract over 5 days and have been with the business over 4 years.
In November there a number of part timers made up to full time in my office including a couple of people that started the same day as me and a couple who started 3 months after me.
I waited a while thinking I would be asked but nothing materialised so I went in to see my Dom to ask why people with lower seniority than me had been made up but I hadn't.
The Dom was very abrupt with me and claiming I was overlooked due to performance issues and basically tough s**t!
In 4 years I have never been conduct coded or been told by anyone manager or otherwise that I have problems doing the job.
in the 4 years I have been pushed from pillar to post, worked 95% of the walks in the office (big office) and been shipped out many times to 6 or more other local offices.
Often I come in at 8-30am , even now, to unprepped or partially prepped frames and have to prep before I go out often leaving not enough time to complete the delivery.
now this is what I think is the problem. I have young children I regularly have to pick up from school so the days I can work over are limited so on days when I come in to a frame that's unprepped I end up leaving some behind or cutting off. I always follow procedure when doing this.
when possible I do stay out and finish and come in early on a majority of days when asked but compared with others I don't do a great deal of overtime.
the union rep doesn't want to know as I am not in the union so what I would like to know is where do I stand regards my seniority being overlooked when staff are offered full time and is there a worthwhile grievance procedure for a non union postie?
2 months on I have not had any suggestions or training regards my supposed "performance issues" and the Dom hasn't mentioned it again.
-
Lincox
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 3485
- Joined: 09 Jan 2008, 18:07
- Gender: Male
overlooked for full time-performance issues!
The grievance procedure is the same for all, whether you are in the union or not. The only difference is you will not get representation from the union unless you are a member. You are however allowed to have any colleague support/represent you at any grievance hearing.
From experience the grievance procedure in Royal Mail is an absolute sham and an absolute disgrace from a FTSE 100 (250)? company. In saying that, if you are convinced that you have been treated differently to that of your colleagues then you must stand up for yourself and take this matter through the grievance procedure however long it takes and however frustrated you will undoubtedly get.
From experience the grievance procedure in Royal Mail is an absolute sham and an absolute disgrace from a FTSE 100 (250)? company. In saying that, if you are convinced that you have been treated differently to that of your colleagues then you must stand up for yourself and take this matter through the grievance procedure however long it takes and however frustrated you will undoubtedly get.
-
Celgar
- Posts: 2795
- Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
- Gender: Male
overlooked for full time-performance issues!
RM don't like it when you cut off especially if they judge it to be happening regularly. Especially if they form an opinion that another postie could have done the whole walk whereas you brought some back. Make sure you tell them before you leave to do your delivery that you will not have time to complete. It is then the DOMs responsibility to get the remainder delivered.
Part timers coming in to find their walk either partially prepped or not at all is a common problem. Nowadays for the most part there is not time available for others in an office to prep other walks. Once upon a time there used to be spare time but those days are gone.
If you work in RM and are not a paid up member of the union you are liable to receive some 'attitude' type problems from the union rep. More so if they also hold some responsibility or power over what happens in the office.
Part timers coming in to find their walk either partially prepped or not at all is a common problem. Nowadays for the most part there is not time available for others in an office to prep other walks. Once upon a time there used to be spare time but those days are gone.
If you work in RM and are not a paid up member of the union you are liable to receive some 'attitude' type problems from the union rep. More so if they also hold some responsibility or power over what happens in the office.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
-
korky
- Posts: 797
- Joined: 30 Dec 2007, 09:28
overlooked for full time-performance issues!
he said he has issues picking kids up after school, the make up to full time would be earlier indoor work.jd9442 wrote:why do you want more hours if you can’t do more hours due to children
it seems the dom got the arse on, i always thought any ft duties were advertised and filled on seniority,
sounds like he's been done over
-
turnyitb
- Posts: 11
- Joined: 21 Jun 2017, 18:17
- Gender: Male
overlooked for full time-performance issues!
korky wrote:he said he has issues picking kids up after school, the make up to full time would be earlier indoor work.jd9442 wrote:why do you want more hours if you can’t do more hours due to children
it seems the dom got the arse on, i always thought any ft duties were advertised and filled on seniority,
sounds like he's been done over
thank you at least someone is reading the full post before wading in lol
-
turnyitb
- Posts: 11
- Joined: 21 Jun 2017, 18:17
- Gender: Male
overlooked for full time-performance issues!
jd9442 wrote:Why bother asking the rep to begin with lol
Also why do you want more hours if you can’t do more hours due to children
where did I say I asked the union rep??
when I went into the office to raise the issue with the Dom the union rep just happened to be in the room, he left pretty smartly when he heard what I had brought up thus why I stated he didn't want to know.
and for the record I have never been approached or asked to join the union.
-
turnyitb
- Posts: 11
- Joined: 21 Jun 2017, 18:17
- Gender: Male
overlooked for full time-performance issues!
thanks for he reply, could you please advise me where to find details of the grievance procedure?Lincox wrote:The grievance procedure is the same for all, whether you are in the union or not. The only difference is you will not get representation from the union unless you are a member. You are however allowed to have any colleague support/represent you at any grievance hearing.
From experience the grievance procedure in Royal Mail is an absolute sham and an absolute disgrace from a FTSE 100 (250)? company. In saying that, if you are convinced that you have been treated differently to that of your colleagues then you must stand up for yourself and take this matter through the grievance procedure however long it takes and however frustrated you will undoubtedly get.
-
turnyitb
- Posts: 11
- Joined: 21 Jun 2017, 18:17
- Gender: Male
overlooked for full time-performance issues!
I always follow procedures when it looks like I'm going to struggle to completeCelgar wrote:RM don't like it when you cut off especially if they judge it to be happening regularly. Especially if they form an opinion that another postie could have done the whole walk whereas you brought some back. Make sure you tell them before you leave to do your delivery that you will not have time to complete. It is then the DOMs responsibility to get the remainder delivered.
Part timers coming in to find their walk either partially prepped or not at all is a common problem. Nowadays for the most part there is not time available for others in an office to prep other walks. Once upon a time there used to be spare time but those days are gone.
If you work in RM and are not a paid up member of the union you are liable to receive some 'attitude' type problems from the union rep. More so if they also hold some responsibility or power over what happens in the office.
-
fishtank
- Posts: 19732
- Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
- Gender: Male
overlooked for full time-performance issues!
The rep is an arse.
You don't let this s**t go down in your office whether the victim is a member or a non member. An agreement is being ignored. The rep should have lodged a disagreement on behalf of the office. What's the rep going to do the next time it happens now that a precedent has been set?
You don't let this s**t go down in your office whether the victim is a member or a non member. An agreement is being ignored. The rep should have lodged a disagreement on behalf of the office. What's the rep going to do the next time it happens now that a precedent has been set?
good times, bad times you know I've had my share