ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Upgrade to full time contract

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Pongo Waring
Posts: 6
Joined: 02 Jul 2017, 21:22
Gender: Male

Upgrade to full time contract

Post by Pongo Waring »

I,m still on a 31 hour contract after 4 years in the job. Ive asked my manager umpteen times about going on to 39 hours but got nowhere. I do regular overtime up to 14 / 15 hrs most weeks and I feel I deserve one. I,m the first one my manager asks to do extra duty because he knows I rarely say no and I know 75% of the walks in our office. I miss out on sick and holiday pay, and free share issues and the xmas bonus are pro rata. I recently found out that a lad taken on 11 months after me was given a 39 hour contract when he started without me being aware of the vacancy or the contract. I thought that new contracts had to be advertised internally first, had it been I would have applied for it. I feel like starting to refuse overtime but I,d only be harming myself. Any suggestions as how I can put pressure on to get what I want ?
NewPostieUK
Posts: 2104
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
Gender: Male
Location: SickAsAChipLand

Upgrade to full time contract

Post by NewPostieUK »

Pongo Waring wrote:I,m still on a 31 hour contract after 4 years in the job. Ive asked my manager umpteen times about going on to 39 hours but got nowhere. I do regular overtime
How much overtime you do is irrelevant to you. Contracts are made up on seniority, so people who started before you will be offered them first, even if they don't work any overtime.

The amount of overtime you work is relevant in that it shows the office needs hours putting in (depending on the type of overtime done - see at least 2 other threads about this). If the office can't run without overtime then there is a good case to have part timers made up, starting with those that have been there longest.

Ten years for me and still on 30.
NewPostieUK
Posts: 2104
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
Gender: Male
Location: SickAsAChipLand

Upgrade to full time contract

Post by NewPostieUK »

Pongo Waring wrote: I recently found out that a lad taken on 11 months after me was given a 39 hour contract when he started without me being aware of the vacancy ?
Get the union involved. If it was a normal duty ie not ring fenced and no special skills required, and the person who got it has no special needs such as disability etc, then it should have been advertised and you should have been able to apply.
maisymoo04
Posts: 2226
Joined: 07 Apr 2010, 17:11
Gender: Male
Location: You dont want to no

Upgrade to full time contract

Post by maisymoo04 »

Pongo Waring wrote:I,m still on a 31 hour contract after 4 years in the job. Ive asked my manager umpteen times about going on to 39 hours but got nowhere. I do regular overtime up to 14 / 15 hrs most weeks and I feel I deserve one. I,m the first one my manager asks to do extra duty because he knows I rarely say no and I know 75% of the walks in our office. I miss out on sick and holiday pay, and free share issues and the xmas bonus are pro rata. I recently found out that a lad taken on 11 months after me was given a 39 hour contract when he started without me being aware of the vacancy or the contract. I thought that new contracts had to be advertised internally first, had it been I would have applied for it. I feel like starting to refuse overtime but I,d only be harming myself. Any suggestions as how I can put pressure on to get what I want ?
pongo he noze you say yes to overtime so it falls on deaf ears not being nosey but do you need to do the overtime ? :Very Happy
"Some day I will have the bottle to take the money"
Pongo Waring
Posts: 6
Joined: 02 Jul 2017, 21:22
Gender: Male

Upgrade to full time contract

Post by Pongo Waring »

Thanks all, sorry not replied earlier I had a knee injury after slipping on ice just after I posted and Ive been off until last week and not really been keeping in touch. I must have tempted fate because while I was off my manager apparently made me up to a 39 hr contract, although it hasn't been actioned yet. Ive seen the application for an upgrade on his laptop and its still showing as "pending" so I know somethings being done. Pure coincidence that it happened after me having a gripe on here but thanks for your replies anyway. :nana