Could someone maybe shed light on the following?
I commenced employment with Royal Mail on 15th June 2017 and tax has been deducted from my earnings since w/c 3.11.17 (tax period 31/2018). However, this was when my assessable pay was only £6,967, when of course the tax free allowance is £11,500.
Is this in order? And if so, what haven't I understood? As far as I recall, I have had no other income this tax year and my tax code is the generic 1162L/0.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
assessable pay query
-
joewyan
- Posts: 382
- Joined: 28 Jun 2016, 22:56
- Gender: Male
assessable pay query
By the end of the year will your pay be over the £11500 threshold if you continue to get paid what you currently get paid each week? If so then you are liable for deductions yes, if not then I’m not sure why this has happened unless you earnt a lot for some weeks and it will come back to you when you earn lower amounts again.
-
paul39222
- Posts: 8
- Joined: 15 Oct 2014, 16:41
- Gender: Male
assessable pay query
I'm a normal postman, so yes my pay at the end of the tax year will be over £11,500 but not sure why tax started to be deducted when I had only earned about £7,000. I would assume tax would start to be deducted when I had earned £11,500!
-
joewyan
- Posts: 382
- Joined: 28 Jun 2016, 22:56
- Gender: Male
assessable pay query
To be honest I’m surprised it didn’t start deducting from the start unless your earnings have gone up. You will be deducted each week as long as you earn over approx £221 because they calculate tax based on your earning that much every week until the end of the year. You only pay tax on anything over £221 and it will be 20% of your earnings over that amount.paul39222 wrote:I'm a normal postman, so yes my pay at the end of the tax year will be over £11,500 but not sure why tax started to be deducted when I had only earned about £7,000. I would assume tax would start to be deducted when I had earned £11,500!
Hope this makes sense.
-
RobertT
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 6694
- Joined: 09 Sep 2007, 14:26
- Gender: Male
assessable pay query
In practice it’s not a case of not paying tax until you hit £11,500, but they assume you will get paid at a certain rate until the end of the tax year and make weekly deductions as appropriate.
By the time you reach 5th April, things should have evened themselves out.
In the meantime you may find this calculator useful: https://www.gov.uk/estimate-income-tax" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
By the time you reach 5th April, things should have evened themselves out.
In the meantime you may find this calculator useful: https://www.gov.uk/estimate-income-tax" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Links to all RM pension related websites are here
-
Janet Brum
- Posts: 886
- Joined: 28 Sep 2016, 19:52
- Gender: Female
assessable pay query
I had the same querry in the past and from what I could find out is the tax people take out 10% weekly tax instead of 20% to help with the earnings, if they were to take 20% after the 11.500 treshold, it would have been harder for my wallet.
-
paul39222
- Posts: 8
- Joined: 15 Oct 2014, 16:41
- Gender: Male
assessable pay query
Many thanks for all your replies. From what you say, I think I pretty much understand it now.
-
Lincox
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 3485
- Joined: 09 Jan 2008, 18:07
- Gender: Male
assessable pay query
The simple answer is that the £11500 personal allowance is divided up over 52 weeks so that you get an allowance against your weekly pay.
If you were given all of your allowance up front it would mean that if you earned £11500 in the first week of the tax year there would be no tax deduction, which of course is ludicrous.
If you were given all of your allowance up front it would mean that if you earned £11500 in the first week of the tax year there would be no tax deduction, which of course is ludicrous.