Hi guys
So today I got put on a walk (I’m a reserve) that has lots & lots & lots of flats that go upto 5 floors with double stair cases on each floor.
I’ve never done this walk before. I only managed to complete half the walk as the flats take forever & im no young spring chicken. I suffer with my bones on my ankles on a normal day since starting this job (nearly 6 months) so going up & down these stairs has really done me in.
I cut off at my time & took the rest back, my floor manager enversised that I only completed half the walk. I did have to go & deliver specials before 1pm so that slowed down abit.
My question is.....Can I refuse to do the walk as my ankles are in pain & being realistic, I know I won’t complete for the rest of the week....Arghhhh!!!!!
There’s a running joke at the office with the boys about me cutting off & bringing stuff back.....Don’t like bringing stuff back but I have commitments (School run) & can’t go over to complete. I took the job with part time hours as fits in with kids
Thanks for reading
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Can I refuse a walk ??
-
CPTNemoUK
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 707
- Joined: 03 Oct 2013, 10:13
- Gender: Male
Can I refuse a walk ??
I could be wrong but I don't think you can refuse to do a walk. What I normally do, this don't work all the time but more often than not it does. I just have a word with the dom or lino and say. look I don't know it I think your better off putting somebody who knows it better than me. Plus if like you and you got other reasons why not to do it let them know. If that fails for me I go round and see if someone would swap with me. Sorry I ain't more help.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72733
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Can I refuse a walk ??
He is right you can't refuse a duty, but you can explain the issues it's causing you. It's up to them to "manage " it. If you have any other colleagues who are sympathetic to your issues I would ask them to attend the meeting (even if on the floor) so you have a witness.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
Creditshampoo
- Posts: 1189
- Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
- Gender: Male
Can I refuse a walk ??
This running joke about you cutting off is bullying.
Your work mates sound pathetic, overtime is optional. Bullying from management is disgusting but expected, not from postman
Your work mates sound pathetic, overtime is optional. Bullying from management is disgusting but expected, not from postman
-
t3mcIUQWE2
- Posts: 137
- Joined: 24 Oct 2015, 17:04
- Gender: Male
Can I refuse a walk ??
You can refuse if the pain is caused by something that could be covered by the Equality Act.
If so, then they are expected to make reasonable adjustments and it would be hard for them to argue that swapping you to another duty wouldn't be reasonable.
You'll probably need to argue your case. A lot easier if you have a decent rep to back you up.
If so, then they are expected to make reasonable adjustments and it would be hard for them to argue that swapping you to another duty wouldn't be reasonable.
You'll probably need to argue your case. A lot easier if you have a decent rep to back you up.
-
Acca Dacca
- Posts: 3221
- Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 17:13
- Gender: Male
Can I refuse a walk ??
Did you declare you had ankle problems that meant you couldn't go up and down stairs before you accepted job?
Thousands of posties deliver to flats up and down stairs everyday I'm afraid its part of the job
Walks should be health and safety risk assessed though so there shouldn't be a 4.5 hour walk with JUST flats
Thousands of posties deliver to flats up and down stairs everyday I'm afraid its part of the job
Walks should be health and safety risk assessed though so there shouldn't be a 4.5 hour walk with JUST flats
If you tolerate this, then your paid break will be next
-
t3mcIUQWE2
- Posts: 137
- Joined: 24 Oct 2015, 17:04
- Gender: Male
Can I refuse a walk ??
There is no requirement to and it is not "part of the job".Acca Dacca wrote:Did you declare you had ankle problems that meant you couldn't go up and down stairs before you accepted job?
Thousands of posties deliver to flats up and down stairs everyday I'm afraid its part of the job
-
Brandy
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 729
- Joined: 12 Sep 2011, 21:03
- Gender: Female
Can I refuse a walk ??
The trouble is and I know its bullying by managers is that they will say so so can do it why cant you? Thats the trouble when you have people that come in early and then run round.DOMs only see what they want to see,and just cant get it that everyone works at different speeds.Thats RM managers for you I am afraid. 
-
Interested-seeker
- Posts: 442
- Joined: 20 Feb 2017, 11:50
- Gender: Female
Can I refuse a walk ??
If Kazzy takes anyone into a meeting with her, it should be a union rep.Creditshampoo wrote:This running joke about you cutting off is bullying.
Your work mates sound pathetic, overtime is optional. Bullying from management is disgusting but expected, not from postman
-
joewyan
- Posts: 382
- Joined: 28 Jun 2016, 22:56
- Gender: Male
Can I refuse a walk ??
What isn’t part of the job? Delivering to delivery points? If it was a long standing ankle issue then I think there would be a medical questionnaire when starting but it seems from the OP’s post that this has occurred since starting the job.t3mcIUQWE2 wrote:There is no requirement to and it is not "part of the job".Acca Dacca wrote:Did you declare you had ankle problems that meant you couldn't go up and down stairs before you accepted job?
Thousands of posties deliver to flats up and down stairs everyday I'm afraid its part of the job
Kazzy, have you seen a doctor about your ankles, that could help as they could provide a fit note or similar to advise that you could do lighter duties?
-
MissKazzyB
- Posts: 80
- Joined: 22 Mar 2017, 21:50
- Gender: Female
Can I refuse a walk ??
Hi
I went to my GP yesterday & she gave me a doctors note to state that I can’t go up any stairs due to my ankle pain.
I went in this morning & sat down with my dom that was covering for today & cut a long story short she said in a roundabout way that I am on probation which as a business they are seeing if I am suitable for the job physically as it is a very demanding job. That’s what a trial is.
They have a care of duty to look at health & healthy & need to make sure that I am ok.
They put me on a duty that had no flats in it.
She also stated that they are looking at why people (obviously me) are cutting off. I explained that I have responsibilities & have to pick up my son from school. She then said that she’s been told that when people go for the interview they get asked if they are flexible especially around demanding times like Christmas & if I said I wernt flexible then I wouldn’t of been offered the job. I said I go over a lot but can’t always go over.
I then spoke to my rep who said in front of her that she shouldn’t be talking to me like that & ive got nothing to worry about as I have a permanent contract....
I have my 6 month review of n about a couple of weeks so we shall see.....TBC
P.S I never had any issues with my ankle at all before
I started working for RM
I went to my GP yesterday & she gave me a doctors note to state that I can’t go up any stairs due to my ankle pain.
I went in this morning & sat down with my dom that was covering for today & cut a long story short she said in a roundabout way that I am on probation which as a business they are seeing if I am suitable for the job physically as it is a very demanding job. That’s what a trial is.
They have a care of duty to look at health & healthy & need to make sure that I am ok.
They put me on a duty that had no flats in it.
She also stated that they are looking at why people (obviously me) are cutting off. I explained that I have responsibilities & have to pick up my son from school. She then said that she’s been told that when people go for the interview they get asked if they are flexible especially around demanding times like Christmas & if I said I wernt flexible then I wouldn’t of been offered the job. I said I go over a lot but can’t always go over.
I then spoke to my rep who said in front of her that she shouldn’t be talking to me like that & ive got nothing to worry about as I have a permanent contract....
I have my 6 month review of n about a couple of weeks so we shall see.....TBC
P.S I never had any issues with my ankle at all before
I started working for RM