ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Career break advise

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
cavendish9027
Posts: 24
Joined: 18 Jun 2012, 18:30
Gender: Male

Career break advise

Post by cavendish9027 »

How do you go about applying for a career break. We have our house on the market and had an offer accepted. The house we are buying we plan to extend. So l plan on taking out extra on the mortgage to cover my wages and to do the work myself. Regarding applying for a career break do I just write a letter to my DOM or is there a form for me to fill out. If so where do I get the form?
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

Career break advise

Post by aiden01 »

cavendish9027 wrote:How do you go about applying for a career break. We have our house on the market and had an offer accepted. The house we are buying we plan to extend. So l plan on taking out extra on the mortgage to cover my wages and to do the work myself. Regarding applying for a career break do I just write a letter to my DOM or is there a form for me to fill out. If so where do I get the form?
Probably best to give hr a cal they will advise you best
Janet Brum
Posts: 886
Joined: 28 Sep 2016, 19:52
Gender: Female

Career break advise

Post by Janet Brum »

These topics might help:
https://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communi ... ak#p783271" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communi ... ak#p774052" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cavendish9027
Posts: 24
Joined: 18 Jun 2012, 18:30
Gender: Male

Career break advise

Post by cavendish9027 »

I phoned HR. They told me it was at the Dom discretion. I spoke to him. He said he knew nothing about them so spoke to his manager. He got back to me 3 days later saying his manager has said no. We don't offer that any more. Unless it's under extreme circumstances. Also it would have to benefit the company to loose the member of staff for 12 months. He also mention "off the record" we don't know what will be happening in 12 months time regarding offices merging and staff losing jobs. Especially as mine is 32hour contract that's a "large" contract these days as newbies are being given 24hr contracts.
Does this sound right. Is it worth questioning. Any advice from any union guys in here?
I feel that I was never really given the chance.
cavendish9027
Posts: 24
Joined: 18 Jun 2012, 18:30
Gender: Male

Career break advise

Post by cavendish9027 »

One thing to note is when I was off sick a couple of weeks ago my manager was trying to in force a home visit on my 5 day of being sick with the Norovirus. He claimed his manager is enforcing the new rule. I pointed out it's not policy but he told me it's what his manager insist Doms do.
So it makes me feel the area manager just makes his own rules up to suit
magicw
Posts: 111
Joined: 11 May 2013, 14:50
Gender: Male

Career break advise

Post by magicw »

There should be a set Policy/ National agreement on this. You cant make it down to the DOM's discretion as it leaves it wide open to Cronyism and abuse.

Different subject. I asked for Family Friendly hours for a six week period only as my Father in Law who looks after my Daughter when I work Saturdays wa having six Weeks of Daily Radiotherapy treatment, and it wasn't fair to ask him to Travel on the Saturdays to look after my Daughter.

Basically this was at the DOMs discretion too and he didn't even scope it! Just came back straight No!


However there is someone else in our office who has had Saturdays off on Family friendly for nearly a decade. Started when her Son was 5. He's now 15 and she still gets the Family Friendly hours.

That's fair enough ( although it should have been reviewed ) but what pisses me off is she will come in at least once a month on a Saturday and get paid 8 hours OT for it!

Career breaks do still exist! Lad in our office had 3 months (unpaid of course ) to go to the Philipines/ Vietnam and Cambodia with his Mrs .
DGH
Posts: 710
Joined: 13 Dec 2014, 18:04
Gender: Male
Location: Neither here nor there

Career break advise

Post by DGH »

cavendish9027 wrote: So it makes me feel the area manager just makes his own rules up to suit
They do. And often what they say is unlawful (eg 'you can't carry over excess holiday to next year or take it this year, you'll just have to have the days paid instead') or tripe 'new starters must have Tuesdays off'. And yet DOMs won't challenge these absurd dictats.
bmyidl
Posts: 1
Joined: 29 Sep 2018, 20:35
Gender: Male

Career break Application Form

Post by bmyidl »

Anyone needing a form I got hold of one from my Manager. See attachment.

Regards,
H
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
professorchaos29
Posts: 2
Joined: 27 Jun 2014, 23:42
Gender: Male

Career break advise

Post by professorchaos29 »

Just had a career break rejected. I gave my reason as "to pursue a career in garden maintenance and landscaping". Managers letter said you can't give alternative employment as a reason. I thought it was only if this was a job conflicting with royal mail. Main reason though was "unable to cover all work I currently perform". I'm on 38 hour 5 day float. Anyone able to shed some light on this.
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

Career break advise

Post by Celgar »

cavendish9027 wrote:One thing to note is when I was off sick a couple of weeks ago my manager was trying to in force a home visit on my 5 day of being sick with the Norovirus. He claimed his manager is enforcing the new rule. I pointed out it's not policy but he told me it's what his manager insist Doms do.
So it makes me feel the area manager just makes his own rules up to suit
I have been unfortunate enough to catch Norovirus once before so I feel for you. It is possibly the worst infection to catch and can make you wish you were dead! I actually returned to work before it had cleared and paid the consequences for doing so. You should definitely not repeat my mistake and wait until you are well again.
It is standard practice for a DOM to visit posties on sick if they are not able to visit the DO which you should NOT do in your case. I wouldn't fight it if the DOM insists he has to do this. DOMs have to follow rules just like us posties do.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
Route1
Posts: 369
Joined: 05 Jun 2015, 00:48
Gender: Female

Career break advise

Post by Route1 »

Careers breaks are still available. Using a career break for any other employment is a non-starter.

When you come back you are not guaranteed you will come back to the same position or even the same office.

I was away for 9 weeks (mainly abroad) but mine wasnt a career break as I was just using up most of my annual leave for a wee bit of foreign travels.

I asked about careers breaks recently and was told I already had one (no i didnt) and they only allow it for people travelling and studying abroad. Translated it means, No I cant have it but if I really push for it, I can get it.