ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Flexing up
-
Postiefromwales
- Posts: 1
- Joined: 07 Oct 2017, 20:11
- Gender: Female
Flexing up
Hi
I'm new here can't find any info on this so apologies if it's already been discussed
Our manager has told us it's in our contracts to flex up (work an extra 30mins part our time). Even if we haven't left early. Some people have child care issues in the office and would need notice if this is an official agreement. Please could anyone point me in the right direction about flexing up? I.e are there any official agreements with regards to this. We feel we are going to be bullied into this next week with no evidence that we should/shouldn't be doing so. Thanks
I'm new here can't find any info on this so apologies if it's already been discussed
Our manager has told us it's in our contracts to flex up (work an extra 30mins part our time). Even if we haven't left early. Some people have child care issues in the office and would need notice if this is an official agreement. Please could anyone point me in the right direction about flexing up? I.e are there any official agreements with regards to this. We feel we are going to be bullied into this next week with no evidence that we should/shouldn't be doing so. Thanks
-
osgoody1970
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 360
- Joined: 21 Jun 2011, 13:44
- Gender: Male
Flexing up
you cannot be forced to flex up, it has to be with your agreement. I always had a prior engagement when asked to flex up, funny that!!!!
-
CPTNemoUK
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 707
- Joined: 03 Oct 2013, 10:13
- Gender: Male
Flexing up
The manager talking through is backside. You have a start finish time. They can not make you go over that. If you think you will go over use the over running procedure. ( some one will explain to you what it is because I will be honest I am a bit drunk. Don't want to give the wrong info)Postiefromwales wrote:Hi
I'm new here can't find any info on this so apologies if it's already been discussed
Our manager has told us it's in our contracts to flex up (work an extra 30mins part our time). Even if we haven't left early. Some people have child care issues in the office and would need notice if this is an official agreement. Please could anyone point me in the right direction about flexing up? I.e are there any official agreements with regards to this. We feel we are going to be bullied into this next week with no evidence that we should/shouldn't be doing so. Thanks
-
Creditshampoo
- Posts: 1189
- Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
- Gender: Male
Flexing up
It is mentioned in the agreements but it’s only with mutual agreement so you must agree with management and it’s only really supposed to be in special circumstances such as a lorry breaking down on the way to your office.
So no, he can’t make you work past your time. Put a grievance in
So no, he can’t make you work past your time. Put a grievance in
-
iHateD2Ds
- Posts: 548
- Joined: 16 Apr 2008, 16:33
Flexing up
It's a mutual agreement ,you give them 30 mins and then they will you back 30mins.CPTNemoUK wrote:The manager talking through is backside. You have a start finish time. They can not make you go over that. If you think you will go over use the over running procedure. ( some one will explain to you what it is because I will be honest I am a bit drunk. Don't want to give the wrong info)Postiefromwales wrote:Hi
I'm new here can't find any info on this so apologies if it's already been discussed
Our manager has told us it's in our contracts to flex up (work an extra 30mins part our time). Even if we haven't left early. Some people have child care issues in the office and would need notice if this is an official agreement. Please could anyone point me in the right direction about flexing up? I.e are there any official agreements with regards to this. We feel we are going to be bullied into this next week with no evidence that we should/shouldn't be doing so. Thanks.
Some of my work colleagues fell for it and was told they would make back their 30 min by finishing early on Friday.
Guess what, they never did!
Tell them you have family commitments.
-
enskied
- Posts: 1877
- Joined: 16 Aug 2013, 17:14
- Gender: Male
Flexing up
Postiefromwales wrote:Hi
I'm new here can't find any info on this so apologies if it's already been discussed
Our manager has told us it's in our contracts to flex up (work an extra 30mins part our time). Even if we haven't left early. Some people have child care issues in the office and would need notice if this is an official agreement. Please could anyone point me in the right direction about flexing up? I.e are there any official agreements with regards to this. We feel we are going to be bullied into this next week with no evidence that we should/shouldn't be doing so. Thanks
Another lying Gaffer.
He /She should say to you " look, I am in a bind, I would like you to give me an extra 30 mins today if you can. I will then give you a 30 mins back asap in the next week. Would you do this for me please ?"
Then you have a little chat to see if it is agreeable.
But they never put it like that.
-
Lincox
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 3485
- Joined: 09 Jan 2008, 18:07
- Gender: Male
Flexing up
The flexibility Agreement is based on Royal Mail ASKING you if you are prepared to work an extra 30 minutes when there has been an unusual occurrence which has delayed the mail such as a vehicle braking down which is delivering the mail to the delivery office, or perhaps a power cut at the delivery office. It is NOT applicable if you go to the DOM after bagging up and saying that you are cutting off because you are unable to complete. That would be an individual event and not an unusual occurrence which effects the whole delivery office.
The agreement also states that individual circumstances will be taken into account, therefore if you are unable to flex up because you have pre-arranged appointments, child-minding problems etc then you cannot be forced to work over your contracted hours.
The agreement also states that individual circumstances will be taken into account, therefore if you are unable to flex up because you have pre-arranged appointments, child-minding problems etc then you cannot be forced to work over your contracted hours.
-
hans solo
- Posts: 3288
- Joined: 06 Feb 2011, 18:08
- Gender: Male
Flexing up
drunk at 8.30 lightweightCPTNemoUK wrote:The manager talking through is backside. You have a start finish time. They can not make you go over that. If you think you will go over use the over running procedure. ( some one will explain to you what it is because I will be honest I am a bit drunk. Don't want to give the wrong info)Postiefromwales wrote:Hi
I'm new here can't find any info on this so apologies if it's already been discussed
Our manager has told us it's in our contracts to flex up (work an extra 30mins part our time). Even if we haven't left early. Some people have child care issues in the office and would need notice if this is an official agreement. Please could anyone point me in the right direction about flexing up? I.e are there any official agreements with regards to this. We feel we are going to be bullied into this next week with no evidence that we should/shouldn't be doing so. Thanks.
-
LaggyBand
- Posts: 1065
- Joined: 29 Jun 2015, 14:07
- Gender: Male
Flexing up
Haha you know I have never once heard it put like that!enskied wrote:Postiefromwales wrote:Hi
I'm new here can't find any info on this so apologies if it's already been discussed
Our manager has told us it's in our contracts to flex up (work an extra 30mins part our time). Even if we haven't left early. Some people have child care issues in the office and would need notice if this is an official agreement. Please could anyone point me in the right direction about flexing up? I.e are there any official agreements with regards to this. We feel we are going to be bullied into this next week with no evidence that we should/shouldn't be doing so. Thanks
Another lying Gaffer.
He /She should say to you " look, I am in a bind, I would like you to give me an extra 30 mins today if you can. I will then give you a 30 mins back asap in the next week. Would you do this for me please ?"
Then you have a little chat to see if it is agreeable.
But they never put it like that.
Funny thing is, i'd probably go along with it if it ever was!
It's just another case of an agreement being made on specific wording between union and RM, to then be hidden away and warped beyond its original meaning.
And the warping was DEFINITELY foreseen.
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
Flexing up
I believe that they have to "Give" you this 30 mins back within the week..... so that definitely doesn't work with a Saturday
I'd have thought the only day they could probably ask you if you don't mind flexing ..... would be a Monday (because it probably would be possible to get the 30 mins back on Tuesday)
A lot of DOMs use it as a Bullying Tactic.... "Well you'll have to Flex for 30mins if you think you're going to go over"
As previously mentioned just tell them you've got a previous engagement. If they ask what it's for tell them to mind their own business. 
What's your Unit Rep got to say about it?
A lot of DOMs use it as a Bullying Tactic.... "Well you'll have to Flex for 30mins if you think you're going to go over"
What's your Unit Rep got to say about it?
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
-
Lincox
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 3485
- Joined: 09 Jan 2008, 18:07
- Gender: Male
Flexing up
He should be telling the DOM that is improper use of the flexibility agreement. Workload is not a reason for flexing unless it is for a reason that could not have been reasonably expected ie van breaking down, and would have an impact on all of the unit, not an individual because his/her workload cannot be done within his/her personal contracted hours.Dorset Plodder wrote:I believe that they have to "Give" you this 30 mins back within the week..... so that definitely doesn't work with a SaturdayI'd have thought the only day they could probably ask you if you don't mind flexing ..... would be a Monday (because it probably would be possible to get the 30 mins back on Tuesday)
![]()
A lot of DOMs use it as a Bullying Tactic.... "Well you'll have to Flex for 30mins if you think you're going to go over"As previously mentioned just tell them you've got a previous engagement. If they ask what it's for tell them to mind their own business.
What's your Unit Rep got to say about it?
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
Flexing up
I hear what your saying Lincox, but it happens. You know how DOMs interpret the Rules to suit themselves.Lincox wrote: He should be telling the DOM that is improper use of the flexibility agreement. Workload is not a reason for flexing unless it is for a reason that could not have been reasonably expected ie van breaking down, and would have an impact on all of the unit, not an individual because his/her workload cannot be done within his/her personal contracted hours.
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
-
Lincox
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 3485
- Joined: 09 Jan 2008, 18:07
- Gender: Male
Flexing up
Dorset, I know exactly what you mean, I went through hell with my line manager, even threatened to move me from my sub office in to a city office if I was not prepared to work over. Took it to grievance which carried on for over a year due to Royal Mail's unbelievable and disgraceful procedures, during which I was constantly bullied by this LM and his colleagues, and even the local rep was in tow with him. However, I took it right through to appeal and the eventual outcome was that I had been treated differently to my colleagues, because what the LM was doing was paying O/T to those who were prepared to work over and yet because I wasn,t he insisted that I flex up. My question was, why were they not being asked to flex up by 30 minutes rather than being paid OT. He was on a loser and shortly after was moved elsewhere. You do not have to put up with this crap and as long as you know you are in the right you should stick to your guns and not be intimidated by these shysters.
-
LaggyBand
- Posts: 1065
- Joined: 29 Jun 2015, 14:07
- Gender: Male
Flexing up
Wait, flexibility agreement can't be used to beat you down when you're complaining about workload? That's bloody gold, that.
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
Flexing up
Thanks for the encouragement Lincox.Lincox wrote:Dorset, You do not have to put up with this crap and as long as you know you are in the right you should stick to your guns and not be intimidated by these shysters.
After you've learned the lessons there's still other Posties in your Office who are going through the same bullshit.
I believe this Forum is brilliant at finding out what you are entitled to, and the advice of other Posties (that may well have already been through the same problems) is invaluable!
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)