ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

blamed by manager

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
firthy
Posts: 3
Joined: 18 May 2017, 14:31
Gender: Male

blamed by manager

Post by firthy »

Hi all, i am a reserve postman and today i had a run in with one of my line managers after work, so let's start the day off with me coming in on my usual time of 8:50, i proceeded to ask the line manager where he would need me as i am always moved around everyday, he then told me i would be in lets just call it place R, he also said it had been thrown in and finished so all i would need to do is go out with my partner, as i went down it was not complete as i had been told, packets, redirections still needed to be done and it still needed to be bundled and thrown in the van, as this was a job i had only done once or twice it would take some time to do this, it was now about 9:40 before all this was done, and i went to go look for the line manager to tell him we might not finish, i wasnt really sure if we would finish or not as i had only been on it 2 days but could not find him anywhere and the time was getting further away, we decided we had to get off. half way through the round my partner said she would ring him to tell him we would not complete at 12:30, i said ok at least he knows, the day was done and we had to bring back 3 bags this particular job is a pretty big 1 and is a 25 minute drive from the depot, i arrive put the bags on the fitting and proceed to go home as it was past my hours, i get a call from the manager telling me he needs me to come back as he has to talk to me about this mail, i said ok, once i got there he took me into the office and started asking me why i had not informed him it would not be completed earlier i proceeded to tell him the things i have listyed above, duty not done when i came in on my time, parnter told him it would not be finished which he later said she only told him an hour before finishing, job i dont know very well, he started getting increasingly angry and blaming me saying i should have been more responsible, i did feel as if he was threatening me and bloaming me which he says he wasnt, this whoole ordeal has made me pretty upset as i fell like i did my part the best i could, was he in the right to bsically give me a telling off or now?
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72733
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

blamed by manager

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

No

Next time refuse to go in outside working hours and without a rep present and briefed.

Me personally I'd put a grievance in against this particular manager. He may not have been blaming you but it appears he acted in an unprofessional and intimidating manner, that's not acceptable. Oh and book the overtime as well, they called you back, yes it's petty but so was he.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
firthy
Posts: 3
Joined: 18 May 2017, 14:31
Gender: Male

blamed by manager

Post by firthy »

Thanks for the quick reply, thats what i was thinking, it was all so bizarre i wasn't expecting it at all, but the management at my depot is horrendous anyway so nothing surprises me anymore. Thanks again for the help.
LaggyBand
Posts: 1065
Joined: 29 Jun 2015, 14:07
Gender: Male

blamed by manager

Post by LaggyBand »

Tell you what, I feel so friggin' sorry for these reserves these days.

This game that's played, every bloody day, up and down the country, this overrun procedure, has he done it, has he not, potentially serious consequences.

It's like what chance you got playing this game when you're new to it all?

Guy probably knew you'd go over, knew you wouldn't do it, avoided you, and now using it to influence your future thoughts.

You literally have to not care about the job and cutting off as a reserve. That is the mentality they cultivate. Because it's either that or just do everything they tell you to do no matter how long it takes like a good little slave.

Really is horrible.
Gangham_style14
Posts: 105
Joined: 15 Feb 2017, 19:12
Gender: Male

blamed by manager

Post by Gangham_style14 »

Firstly I wouldn't have gone back in when he requested !!! You have a start time and finish time, I would never have gone back in unless they paid me !!!!

Secondly put in grievance against him, there has to be a line drawn in the sand with Lino's, I have seen so many posties go down the Lino route and turn into idiots, so by you putting in a grievance I guarantee the line manager will not try something like that with you ever again, unfortunately the bullying mentality that is in RM means they pray on the ones they know they can do it to.

Keep us updated on the outcome
Brandy
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 729
Joined: 12 Sep 2011, 21:03
Gender: Female

blamed by manager

Post by Brandy »

What is wrong with all these RM managers cant they see that all these bullying tactics just grind the posties down,are they thick or what? Dont they ever think that if the posties were happy in their job,and the managers treated them with respect they would go the extra mile for them,as it is and has shown by the massive yes vote the posties are sick to the back teeth of the way they are treated.
I speak from experience,I worked for RM for 19 years and used to love my job,I had enormous respect for my managers,they treated us well even the area manager used to come every couple of weeks and if we had any problem he would stop and talk,would they now,you must be joking they wouldnt even give you the time of day.Towards the end of my service I had no respect whatsover towards my so called bullying managers,I was lucky that I was able to walk away,but it still does and probably always will leave a nasty taste in my mouth that I was spoken to and treated so appallingly after giving so many years to Royal Mail.
Good luck to all you posties you have shown them this time.
crazyshrew
Posts: 584
Joined: 19 Jun 2011, 16:58
Gender: Female
Location: Coastal, South West

blamed by manager

Post by crazyshrew »

Absolutely need to get your rep on to this, as far as any sensible person can see the fact is you were shafted, did your best to follow procedure and then but the powers that be made it impossible for you to follow the rules and yet somehow it's all your fault. And then to add insult to injury it was demanded that you then return to the office to explain yourself.
While the rep is doing his job of shrinking that manager back down to size, make sure he helps you with the additional overtime claim for this meeting, which should be every minute from putting your shoes back on, to take them off again when you got home after that nonsense meeting. If they want you to attend work in your own time they can flipping well pay for it
doffersbruv
Posts: 10
Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 15:40
Gender: Male

blamed by manager

Post by doffersbruv »

Called back to the office after your duty is a minimum 2 hours over time
HarryPoorer
Posts: 112
Joined: 06 Jul 2011, 21:07
Gender: Male

blamed by manager

Post by HarryPoorer »

Don't worry mate, we still have to fight over not doing lapsing etc, our managers piss off to pub during their working time when we are out, just keep the rep informed, ask for a grievance letter and work to your time, tell them before you go out though.
miles_peters
Posts: 298
Joined: 19 Jul 2014, 12:29
Gender: Male

blamed by manager

Post by miles_peters »

grievance.
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

blamed by manager

Post by bustedflush »

Managers always flog the willing horse.
chrisj
Posts: 1883
Joined: 21 Dec 2010, 16:24
Gender: Male

blamed by manager

Post by chrisj »

bustedflush wrote:Managers always flog the willing horse.
How true?

So why were you the only person called back and told off? You had a partner and just because the bags brought back were on your walk does not mean you are the only one responsible...

I am also a reserve and the same has also happened to me. I did not go back - was also berated but on the phone; but I ended up cutting the line (hung up). And it was dealt with the next day - and whole brushed under afterwards...
Brandy
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 729
Joined: 12 Sep 2011, 21:03
Gender: Female

blamed by manager

Post by Brandy »

chrisj wrote:
bustedflush wrote:Managers always flog the willing horse.
How true?

So why were you the only person called back and told off? You had a partner and just because the bags brought back were on your walk does not mean you are the only one responsible...

I am also a reserve and the same has also happened to me. I did not go back - was also berated but on the phone; but I ended up cutting the line (hung up). And it was dealt with the next day - and whole brushed under afterwards...
One of the many faults with so called RM managers is that they always have,and always have had their favourites who get away with almost everything and until this mould is broken the job will never be any good.
BarnsleyLackey
Posts: 349
Joined: 24 Aug 2011, 16:07
Gender: Male

blamed by manager

Post by BarnsleyLackey »

You don't have to be cocky or arrogant, but you don't have to be nervous around them either. Just tell the manager "I understand you're busy and have other things to do, but I need you on the shop floor, where I can find you. If I have any problems i.e need to leave something, or I need to cut off, then the volume I won't get delivered will increase, if I can't find you."

What you've got to remember: your average lino thinks that with a bump in pay and responsibilities comes a bump in intelligence. It's this class room work that they think is benefitting them. I guarantee you that if you come up with something similar to the above, and deliver it properly, he'll start flapping in front of you. I've seen it many times - the weak ones walk off, sometimes locking themselves in the office. The stronger minded, bullying ones will try to talk round it, and that is fun to see.
postypie
Posts: 435
Joined: 18 Mar 2012, 19:37
Gender: Male

blamed by manager

Post by postypie »

I was a reserve for several years and oh boy it was hard at times and very stressful.
I basically kept my head down and got stuck in to each duty I had to learn ....over time(years) and with help from a few of my work mates I cracked it and having done every duty in my office and box counter work I started to enjoy the challenge and could turn my hand to any job with confidence.
Not been one for cutting off as I preferred to claim an hour or two on heavy days (my kids have all grown up so no need to get home early).
Yes managers can be difficult at times (usually when you cut off and they come out with the usual rhetoric) 'well such and such can do that duty within time'...'mail traffic is down so you shouldn't have an issue'...'there's nothing in your fitting to warrant cutting off'...heard it!
I guess these line managers must be under pressure themselves and unfortunately too many of them either through lack of training or just total incompetence vent their frustrations out on new starters, reserves and even senior staff who dare to cut off'...always been like this and always will be because we work in a pressure cooker atmosphere and as usual you have runners in every office that make duties look ridiculously easy and managers will take note of this and use it as a yardstick to judge everyone else.
Duties are getting bigger....longer...heavier...more houses and flats being built...more delivery points...(I have had an extra 600++) more mail...packets...door to doors...something has to give and unfortunately when the going gets that bad posties will always use the cut off option (and rightly so) and managers are left to sort out the mess and I am afraid to say some find this hard.