ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

27 hours contract, 6 days a week

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
postbuster
Posts: 41
Joined: 14 Jun 2017, 12:58
Gender: Male

27 hours contract, 6 days a week

Post by postbuster »

Good evening :Very Happy

So I'm yet to get a job with the Royal Mail but I'm plugging away with applications and being very patient with the process, which seems to be what is needed!

I've only applied for 27 hour contracts over 5 days but have noticed in recent days the same contract over 6 days.

Just wondered about Postie experiences working over 6 days? I'd love to do the job but getting that work/life balance is key as well. I wouldn't want to end up doing 6 full days if that became neccessary when overtime is offered. However, if it's a foot in the door I'd be willing to do it for a little bit if there was an opportunity in the future to go down to 5 or is this not possible?

Would be interested to hear how it works or your own experiences doing this.

Cheers
gary1975
Posts: 482
Joined: 16 Apr 2011, 13:41
Gender: Male

27 hours contract, 6 days a week

Post by gary1975 »

Smatthew wrote:Good evening :Very Happy

So I'm yet to get a job with the Royal Mail but I'm plugging away with applications and being very patient with the process, which seems to be what is needed!

I've only applied for 27 hour contracts over 5 days but have noticed in recent days the same contract over 6 days.

Just wondered about Postie experiences working over 6 days? I'd love to do the job but getting that work/life balance is key as well. I wouldn't want to end up doing 6 full days if that became neccessary when overtime is offered. However, if it's a foot in the door I'd be willing to do it for a little bit if there was an opportunity in the future to go down to 5 or is this not possible?

Would be interested to hear how it works or your own experiences doing this.

Cheers
surely its five days with a rotating day off :hmmmm
goneaway
Posts: 314
Joined: 20 Oct 2016, 19:50
Gender: Male

27 hours contract, 6 days a week

Post by goneaway »

Or, it may be 6 days a week, but working five weeks on and one week off, often called a "Wallington week".
steve1873
Posts: 800
Joined: 08 Oct 2007, 13:55

27 hours contract, 6 days a week

Post by steve1873 »

It wont be over 6 days, unless the delivery spand in yhat particular office are tiny!

27/6 is 4.5 hours per day. 20 mins of which is meal relief. That would only leave 4 hours 10 mins of net working hours. Almost impossible to complete a delivery inclusive of conveyance in that time. The ad is probably poprly worded and means 27 hours with a 6 day rotational day off.
steve1873
Posts: 800
Joined: 08 Oct 2007, 13:55

27 hours contract, 6 days a week

Post by steve1873 »

goneaway wrote:Or, it may be 6 days a week, but working five weeks on and one week off, often called a "Wallington week".
Admittedly it could be - but do the maths. 27 into 6 simply cannot work as there quite simply isn't enough time unless the delivery span in office is ~3.5 hours. Even at that, it would be tight and EVERYTHING indoor work related would need to be completed for the person starting work. Bagged up, van loaded etc, ready to depart with meal relief scheduled later in day.
Judgee
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2262
Joined: 23 Oct 2007, 15:18

27 hours contract, 6 days a week

Post by Judgee »

I started on a 30 hour contract 6 days a week a long time ago. Basically it was normal delivery duty minus mailsort. Mailsort added 2 hours a days so I was getting 7 hours a day for 6 days a week. Hardly any mailsort now so a 27 contract would probably be, collect bagged up mail, deliver, go home at a guess. At least that's how they'll sell it to you! :hmmmm
Union what Union? Do we have a union?
postbuster
Posts: 41
Joined: 14 Jun 2017, 12:58
Gender: Male

27 hours contract, 6 days a week

Post by postbuster »

Thanks guys. 3 adverts I'm looking at are similarly worded. Here is the exact wording ...


"Part time, 27 hours per week (Monday to Saturday with 1 day off)" 
postbuster
Posts: 41
Joined: 14 Jun 2017, 12:58
Gender: Male

27 hours contract, 6 days a week

Post by postbuster »

It also says the shifts are around 9-3. So it sounds like Sunday isn't counted as a 'real' day off. The day off they're talking about sounds like it's within that Monday to Saturday?
Alexei
Posts: 222
Joined: 23 Jul 2017, 18:01
Gender: Male

27 hours contract, 6 days a week

Post by Alexei »

Smatthew wrote:It also says the shifts are around 9-3. So it sounds like Sunday isn't counted as a 'real' day off. The day off they're talking about sounds like it's within that Monday to Saturday?
You've got it :thumbup

In operations, we work six days ( Mon - Sat ) with one day off, but you are always off a Sunday as well.