ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Drop boxes at people's homes
-
CraigS
- Posts: 5
- Joined: 06 Jul 2017, 19:20
- Gender: Male
Drop boxes at people's homes
Hi all
I'm building a new company to help improve first time delivery success rate by producing affordable parcel drop boxes for people at their home and bottom of their streets
Anyone here think RM would be supportive of this or not? I think these would increase delivery success rate so reduce cost and hoping that means RM may be supportive of advertising website etc
What are your thoughts?
Thanks!
I'm building a new company to help improve first time delivery success rate by producing affordable parcel drop boxes for people at their home and bottom of their streets
Anyone here think RM would be supportive of this or not? I think these would increase delivery success rate so reduce cost and hoping that means RM may be supportive of advertising website etc
What are your thoughts?
Thanks!
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Drop boxes at people's homes
Craig,
Affordable parcel drop boxes for people at their home would probably not be secure and affordable parcel drop boxes at the bottom of their streets would almost certainly not be secure so that most likely would not be in the customer's interest but that doesn't mean Royal Mail wouldn't be interested.
And if a parcel was left in an affordable parcel drop box at the bottom of the street would you expect a card to be left through the door at the top of the street informing the resident it was at the other end of the street ?
And, with Watling Street springing to mind, don't forget that some streets are quite long !!

Affordable parcel drop boxes for people at their home would probably not be secure and affordable parcel drop boxes at the bottom of their streets would almost certainly not be secure so that most likely would not be in the customer's interest but that doesn't mean Royal Mail wouldn't be interested.
And if a parcel was left in an affordable parcel drop box at the bottom of the street would you expect a card to be left through the door at the top of the street informing the resident it was at the other end of the street ?
And, with Watling Street springing to mind, don't forget that some streets are quite long !!
-
Darren Bent
- Posts: 2150
- Joined: 05 Oct 2007, 15:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: Pride Park, Derby, DE24 8XL
Drop boxes at people's homes
I saw see a major problem with it. If I got a parcel for 120 smith street and I might have to go all the way to the parcel box and drop it there, and then go back to put a P739 back in the letter box. It is time consuming.
But it could be useful for block of flats if the security is safe.
But it could be useful for block of flats if the security is safe.
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Drop boxes at people's homes
If anyone orders a parcel how can there be a problem with (a) being in, (b) arranging redelivery when you are in or (c) collecting it from the Delivery Office ?

-
olilew
- Posts: 594
- Joined: 19 May 2010, 22:04
- Gender: Male
Drop boxes at people's homes
Or (d) Having it delivered to an address where you know someone will be in, Work, your mum's, your partner's mum's etc.Lounge Lizard wrote:If anyone orders a parcel how can there be a problem with (a) being in, (b) arranging redelivery when you are in or (c) collecting it from the Delivery Office ?![]()
![]()
![]()
"Just take it out and see how you go......."
-
postslippete
- Posts: 4196
- Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
- Gender: Male
Drop boxes at people's homes
I suspect RM will say NO to building a communal safe box. How would it work?? Were you thinking of re-producing dozens of sets of keys to give to house-holders down the street or a number-lock? The problem is, can all householders be trusted? There is also an issue of security and the fact that a lot of items that need ID and to be signed for these days, so its a NO I think. Personally, I don't know why RM currently charge customers to pick up their parcels from a Post Office (its 50p or something) when I can collect a Hermes parcel for free at the local corner shop.
I would also be very, very shocked if RM pay you anything for building drop boxes at the customer's home. Yes, the company does want 1st time delivery, but they would rather that we go next door and leave parcels in other 'safe' places, rather than having to fork out extra money for it themselves. I think that you would probably have more chance of selling your products to the public via mail order instead. If its 'affordable' and 'secure' then hopefully some people may buy it and save us from slipping their parcels!!
I would also be very, very shocked if RM pay you anything for building drop boxes at the customer's home. Yes, the company does want 1st time delivery, but they would rather that we go next door and leave parcels in other 'safe' places, rather than having to fork out extra money for it themselves. I think that you would probably have more chance of selling your products to the public via mail order instead. If its 'affordable' and 'secure' then hopefully some people may buy it and save us from slipping their parcels!!
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
-
woopesh
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 230
- Joined: 30 Dec 2015, 22:02
- Gender: Male
Drop boxes at people's homes
I had this idea also but didn't think there was a market for them. Proper parcel boxes cost hundreds. Only seen a few of them about and I've covered a massive area in my time as a reserve shuttling between offices. I think the people who can afford them have staff. For us plebs, you can send parcels to Amazon lockers, local shops etc. to pick up at a convenient time. That's what I do. I would never consider getting a parcel box. I would never want to share one with strangers either.
-
loverman shabba
- Posts: 238
- Joined: 11 Jul 2013, 15:15
- Gender: Male
Drop boxes at people's homes
would you need planning permission to bang a load of boxes all over the place? like the old royal mail bag boxes?
-
steve1873
- Posts: 800
- Joined: 08 Oct 2007, 13:55
Drop boxes at people's homes
I don't think that is exactly how it would work - when delivery is attempted and the person not in, you would card item notifying them that the item has been left in the secure box. You would then continue on delivery as per normal. Once you had finished that section then any items that you have carded would then be taken all at once to be left in the secure box.Darren Bent wrote:I saw see a major problem with it. If I got a parcel for 120 smith street and I might have to go all the way to the parcel box and drop it there, and then go back to put a P739 back in the letter box. It is time consuming.
But it could be useful for block of flats if the security is safe.
It would obviously not be practical to make a separate trip to the box after every unsuccessful delivery attempt.
-
steve1873
- Posts: 800
- Joined: 08 Oct 2007, 13:55
Drop boxes at people's homes
To the OP, I have got a great idea along similar lines which if you wished to discuss via PM would be more than happy to do so.
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Drop boxes at people's homes
Then between leaving the card and boxing the parcel the resident comes home, reads the card and goes to an empty box.steve1873 wrote:I don't think that is exactly how it would work - when delivery is attempted and the person not in, you would card item notifying them that the item has been left in the secure box. You would then continue on delivery as per normal. Once you had finished that section then any items that you have carded would then be taken all at once to be left in the secure box.Darren Bent wrote:I saw see a major problem with it. If I got a parcel for 120 smith street and I might have to go all the way to the parcel box and drop it there, and then go back to put a P739 back in the letter box. It is time consuming.
But it could be useful for block of flats if the security is safe.
It would obviously not be practical to make a separate trip to the box after every unsuccessful delivery attempt.
Residents should just accept that if they are out parcels can be collected from the Delivery Office or redelivered.
-
steve1873
- Posts: 800
- Joined: 08 Oct 2007, 13:55
Drop boxes at people's homes
Hence reason you would write the time on card as your estimated time to be at box. Yes there are and will always be flaws to be pointed out in any system. That doesn't detract from that system being attractive for certain people.Lounge Lizard wrote:Then between leaving the card and boxing the parcel the resident comes home, reads the card and goes to an empty box.steve1873 wrote:I don't think that is exactly how it would work - when delivery is attempted and the person not in, you would card item notifying them that the item has been left in the secure box. You would then continue on delivery as per normal. Once you had finished that section then any items that you have carded would then be taken all at once to be left in the secure box.Darren Bent wrote:I saw see a major problem with it. If I got a parcel for 120 smith street and I might have to go all the way to the parcel box and drop it there, and then go back to put a P739 back in the letter box. It is time consuming.
But it could be useful for block of flats if the security is safe.
It would obviously not be practical to make a separate trip to the box after every unsuccessful delivery attempt.![]()
Residents should just accept that if they are out parcels can be collected from the Delivery Office or redelivered.
-
cpsteve
- Posts: 699
- Joined: 20 Apr 2016, 15:46
- Gender: Male
Drop boxes at people's homes
I would be happy to be used as a late collection point/ late delivery for my road for £1 per item no problem if the R/M want to do such a thing. Its a good idea and if it means more work and safeguards jobs then its a win win.
-
Darren Bent
- Posts: 2150
- Joined: 05 Oct 2007, 15:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: Pride Park, Derby, DE24 8XL
Drop boxes at people's homes
If it cost Royal Mail money, they won't be interested.
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Drop boxes at people's homes
Steve,cpsteve wrote:I would be happy to be used as a late collection point/ late delivery for my road for £1 per item no problem if the R/M want to do such a thing. Its a good idea and if it means more work and safeguards jobs then its a win win.
So is that "as a late collection point/ late delivery for my road for £1 per item no problem if the R/M want to do such a thing" after you've finished your delivery, not while you're having a bath and before you've gone out for the evening ?
Royal Mail could really do with more employees that would 'go the extra mile' like you.