ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Need help and advice

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Jwarren
Posts: 4
Joined: 03 Jul 2017, 20:31
Gender: Male

Need help and advice

Post by Jwarren »

Is there anything a manager or the union can do to help an employee to participate in sporting commitments. Wondering if Saturdays can be given off regularly or put in a contract so I can play football on a Saturday at a decent standard which I get paid for?
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Need help and advice

Post by Lounge Lizard »

Sport or Royal Mail ?
The choice is yours.
rubberbond
Posts: 1497
Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
Gender: Male

Need help and advice

Post by rubberbond »

Go part time?
Jwarren
Posts: 4
Joined: 03 Jul 2017, 20:31
Gender: Male

Need help and advice

Post by Jwarren »

I am only on a 23 hour contract as it is, but they say a Saturday is only a 1in6
Seymour Buts
Posts: 1148
Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

Need help and advice

Post by Seymour Buts »

Doubt it, it has happened in our office that people get a set day for everyweek for one reason or another; never a Saturday though as most would try I'd have thought.
Jwarren
Posts: 4
Joined: 03 Jul 2017, 20:31
Gender: Male

Need help and advice

Post by Jwarren »

Looks like sport or Royal Mail then :crazy:
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Need help and advice

Post by Lounge Lizard »

For quite a while I worked EVERY Saturday. :thumbdown
Now I get every sixth Saturday off. :thumbup
ArthurPewty
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 189
Joined: 21 Dec 2016, 17:15
Gender: Male

Need help and advice

Post by ArthurPewty »

Jwarren wrote:Looks like sport or Royal Mail then :crazy:
Guy at my last DO played semi-pro Saturday's - he worked the morning as well. Gaffer's let him come in early and get out early (7am ish) he'd run his round, finish before 11 and get off to the football (presumably 2pm/3pm kick off, I think he was in the 6th or 7th tier). Not ideal, but if you're fit enough I guess it's just about do-able!
PHARRY
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 327
Joined: 04 Nov 2013, 17:56
Gender: Male

Need help and advice

Post by PHARRY »

Sack or sport or leave simple
wacko74
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1572
Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
Gender: Male

Need help and advice

Post by wacko74 »

I suspect there are far more worthy causes or commitments that RM would refuse to accommodate any kind of special arrangement for, I think it's fair to say you've got no chance!
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72733
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Need help and advice

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

To be frank, unless Royal Mail benefits from you playing sport you have no chance of getting Saturdays off, so unless you play at International Level (if so please contact the bloke in my Avatar).

However, nothing to stop you asking, nothing ventured nothing gained as they say.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
maisymoo04
Posts: 2226
Joined: 07 Apr 2010, 17:11
Gender: Male
Location: You dont want to no

Need help and advice

Post by maisymoo04 »

ArthurPewty wrote:
Jwarren wrote:Looks like sport or Royal Mail then :crazy:
Guy at my last DO played semi-pro Saturday's - he worked the morning as well. Gaffer's let him come in early and get out early (7am ish) he'd run his round, finish before 11 and get off to the football (presumably 2pm/3pm kick off, I think he was in the 6th or 7th tier). Not ideal, but if you're fit enough I guess it's just about do-able!
probably why were workin twice as hard now thanks to the guy at your last DO don't mean you pewty :whistle :whistle :whistle :whistle
"Some day I will have the bottle to take the money"