ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Unfranked Stamps
-
wacko74
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1572
- Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
- Gender: Male
Unfranked Stamps
Anyone else noticing a big increase in these lately?
I reckon I'm spotting and cancelling (with my pen) around £5-£8 worth a day these last couple of months, especially the most expensive 'Large Letter 1st class'.
And that's on a rural with relatively few delivery points (300)... if you times that by every walk in the country that's a hell of a lot of potential lost revenue!
I know these new stamps are supposed to be non-reusable but I bet plenty of people do still manage to remove them or cut them out and re use them.
I reckon I'm spotting and cancelling (with my pen) around £5-£8 worth a day these last couple of months, especially the most expensive 'Large Letter 1st class'.
And that's on a rural with relatively few delivery points (300)... if you times that by every walk in the country that's a hell of a lot of potential lost revenue!
I know these new stamps are supposed to be non-reusable but I bet plenty of people do still manage to remove them or cut them out and re use them.
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Unfranked Stamps
Wacko,
It's reassuring to know that you have time to cancel them.
It's reassuring to know that you have time to cancel them.
-
wacko74
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1572
- Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
- Gender: Male
Unfranked Stamps
Takes me a good 2-3 seconds to whip my pen out and cancel them on the doorstep, so over all that adds about 20-30 seconds to my delivery, not too much of hardship tbh.Lounge Lizard wrote:Wacko,
It's reassuring to know that you have time to cancel them.
I'm no boy scout do-gooder when it comes to this job, I've got as much contempt for senior management as anyone on here, but any postie who can't or won't cancel them on some matter of principle or has an attitude of 'it's not my job to do it' is being pretty stupid and stubborn in my opinion.
-
SpacePhoenix
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 12194
- Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
- Gender: Male
Unfranked Stamps
Probably all down to staff shortages in MCs meaning that there isn't the timewacko74 wrote:Takes me a good 2-3 seconds to whip my pen out and cancel them on the doorstep, so over all that adds about 20-30 seconds to my delivery, not too much of hardship tbh.Lounge Lizard wrote:Wacko,
It's reassuring to know that you have time to cancel them.
I'm no boy scout do-gooder when it comes to this job, I've got as much contempt for senior management as anyone on here, but any postie who can't or won't cancel them on some matter of principle or has an attitude of 'it's not my job to do it' is being pretty stupid and stubborn in my opinion.
-
aiden01
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 7001
- Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
- Gender: Male
Unfranked Stamps
Or maybe too many staff dont give a f..k anymore with management totally pissing everyone off.SpacePhoenix wrote:Probably all down to staff shortages in MCs meaning that there isn't the timewacko74 wrote:Takes me a good 2-3 seconds to whip my pen out and cancel them on the doorstep, so over all that adds about 20-30 seconds to my delivery, not too much of hardship tbh.Lounge Lizard wrote:Wacko,
It's reassuring to know that you have time to cancel them.
I'm no boy scout do-gooder when it comes to this job, I've got as much contempt for senior management as anyone on here, but any postie who can't or won't cancel them on some matter of principle or has an attitude of 'it's not my job to do it' is being pretty stupid and stubborn in my opinion.
-
Spedley
- Posts: 1209
- Joined: 16 Jul 2007, 17:32
- Location: Warwickshire
Unfranked Stamps
I easily cancel £20+ every day during IPS (and I don't bother with anything less than a 1st class stamp). I'd say I see about £15 per week that I'm sure are reused but can't prove it and average about £2 per week that I surcharge for blatant theft.
-
venom
- Posts: 201
- Joined: 03 Nov 2009, 17:25
- Gender: Male
- Location: leaving in half a walk and working to time
Unfranked Stamps
Who cares this is the company that told me this week to stay in the shade best I could then gave me an extra 30 mins lapsingwacko74 wrote:Anyone else noticing a big increase in these lately?
I reckon I'm spotting and cancelling (with my pen) around £5-£8 worth a day these last couple of months, especially the most expensive 'Large Letter 1st class'.
And that's on a rural with relatively few delivery points (300)... if you times that by every walk in the country that's a hell of a lot of potential lost revenue!
I know these new stamps are supposed to be non-reusable but I bet plenty of people do still manage to remove them or cut them out and re use them.
F@@k em
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Unfranked Stamps
Wacko,wacko74 wrote:Takes me a good 2-3 seconds to whip my pen out and cancel them on the doorstep, so over all that adds about 20-30 seconds to my delivery, not too much of hardship tbh.Lounge Lizard wrote:Wacko,
It's reassuring to know that you have time to cancel them.
I'm no boy scout do-gooder when it comes to this job, I've got as much contempt for senior management as anyone on here, but any postie who can't or won't cancel them on some matter of principle or has an attitude of 'it's not my job to do it' is being pretty stupid and stubborn in my opinion.
It'd be over 2-3 seconds including putting my pen back.
If I'm over my time anyway nearly every day I'm not spending extra time to make up for short sighted cost cutting at Mail Centres and that's NOT a matter of principle, having an attitude, being pretty stupid or being stubborn.
-
westham000
- Posts: 106
- Joined: 17 Nov 2011, 18:44
- Gender: Male
Unfranked Stamps
I'm a 25 year man and can remember when after the 1st delivery we were sent down stairs to cancel the letters by hand by using a franking machine. Don't remember ever seeing a stamp that hadn't been franked. We all took pride in the job. Fast forward 25 years and the job is a shambles! Let the so-called management in higher office earn their huge salary and bonuses , find put why this situation is occurring , and come up with a way of resolving it at the mail centres before it even reaches the DO'S . If the the Royal Mail can afford to pay millions of pounds in bonuses and wages collectively to senior management and directors, remember Moya gets £200000 pumped into pension every year in top of her wages and bonuses. Why should the average Postie bother to spend time regardless of how long it takes to cancel stamps. If it was my business I would want to find out why it is happening in the first place. The people at the top have taken away our pension and every week keep telling how well off we are compared to our competitors ! At every work time learning session threats are made about remove our terms and conditions if we dare take industrial action. Well I got news for you Royal Mail we are 100000 posties out on the streets everyday. We are not working in a factory where you can micro manage people. Let me see, oh I forgot. The PDA , that wonderful computer with built in GPS. And to put it bluntly crap software . If all the posties at their did their job correctly , took meal breaks, didn't start early, walked down the garden path not cut across grass of jumped fences , used the correct equipment etc, and when it came to leaving it with a neighbour knock on doors where you know you won't get an answer. Do that 3 or 4 times and wait the normal 3 minutes for an answer , every 739 that you write will take at least 10 minutes. It doesn't take Einstein to tell you how much time it will take if you brought back say on average 7 packets a day. And remember , your PDA, with its GPS is telling your DOM or the DSM that you are doing the job as requested. Your not spending an hour in the cafe, or spending 15 minutes talking to some old girl about the state of her bunions ! If a deal is not reached by August . I will be voting to go on strike. Or industrial action , what ever our union decide, our fathers and forefathers fought for the the right to strike, to maintain a decent standard of living. It will be hard, but Im afraid what choice do we have. The alternative is frightening!
-
Mobey
- Posts: 291
- Joined: 26 Jul 2016, 11:54
- Gender: Male
Unfranked Stamps
I can read this better now.westham000 wrote:I'm a 25 year man and can remember when after the 1st delivery we were sent down stairs to cancel the letters by hand by using a franking machine. Don't remember ever seeing a stamp that hadn't been franked. We all took pride in the job.
Fast forward 25 years and the job is a shambles! Let the so-called management in higher office earn their huge salary and bonuses , find put why this situation is occurring , and come up with a way of resolving it at the mail centres before it even reaches the DO'S .
If the the Royal Mail can afford to pay millions of pounds in bonuses and wages collectively to senior management and directors, remember Moya gets £200000 pumped into pension every year in top of her wages and bonuses.
Why should the average Postie bother to spend time regardless of how long it takes to cancel stamps. If it was my business I would want to find out why it is happening in the first place. The people at the top have taken away our pension and every week keep telling how well off we are compared to our competitors !
At every work time learning session threats are made about remove our terms and conditions if we dare take industrial action. Well I got news for you Royal Mail we are 100000 posties out on the streets everyday. We are not working in a factory where you can micro manage people. Let me see, oh I forgot. The PDA , that wonderful computer with built in GPS. And to put it bluntly crap software .
If all the posties at their did their job correctly , took meal breaks, didn't start early, walked down the garden path not cut across grass of jumped fences , used the correct equipment etc, and when it came to leaving it with a neighbour knock on doors where you know you won't get an answer. Do that 3 or 4 times and wait the normal 3 minutes for an answer , every 739 that you write will take at least 10 minutes. It doesn't take Einstein to tell you how much time it will take if you brought back say on average 7 packets a day.
And remember , your PDA, with its GPS is telling your DOM or the DSM that you are doing the job as requested. Your not spending an hour in the cafe, or spending 15 minutes talking to some old girl about the state of her bunions ! If a deal is not reached by August . I will be voting to go on strike. Or industrial action , what ever our union decide, our fathers and forefathers fought for the the right to strike, to maintain a decent standard of living. It will be hard, but Im afraid what choice do we have. The alternative is frightening!
-
cantonkid1955
- PARCELFORCE
- Posts: 163
- Joined: 19 Jun 2011, 19:03
- Gender: Male
Unfranked Stamps
Spot on..the morons in Parcelforce who go into work early,,smiling at the managers,,trying to look nice with the management,,make my skin crawl,,the DM comes up smiling,,'can you do me a favour?',,yeah,,of course,,smiling back,,well,,,my dad told me this when I started out in the work place,,'todays favour is tomorrows job'Mobey wrote:I can read this better now.westham000 wrote:I'm a 25 year man and can remember when after the 1st delivery we were sent down stairs to cancel the letters by hand by using a franking machine. Don't remember ever seeing a stamp that hadn't been franked. We all took pride in the job.
Fast forward 25 years and the job is a shambles! Let the so-called management in higher office earn their huge salary and bonuses , find put why this situation is occurring , and come up with a way of resolving it at the mail centres before it even reaches the DO'S .
If the the Royal Mail can afford to pay millions of pounds in bonuses and wages collectively to senior management and directors, remember Moya gets £200000 pumped into pension every year in top of her wages and bonuses.
Why should the average Postie bother to spend time regardless of how long it takes to cancel stamps. If it was my business I would want to find out why it is happening in the first place. The people at the top have taken away our pension and every week keep telling how well off we are compared to our competitors !
At every work time learning session threats are made about remove our terms and conditions if we dare take industrial action. Well I got news for you Royal Mail we are 100000 posties out on the streets everyday. We are not working in a factory where you can micro manage people. Let me see, oh I forgot. The PDA , that wonderful computer with built in GPS. And to put it bluntly crap software .
If all the posties at their did their job correctly , took meal breaks, didn't start early, walked down the garden path not cut across grass of jumped fences , used the correct equipment etc, and when it came to leaving it with a neighbour knock on doors where you know you won't get an answer. Do that 3 or 4 times and wait the normal 3 minutes for an answer , every 739 that you write will take at least 10 minutes. It doesn't take Einstein to tell you how much time it will take if you brought back say on average 7 packets a day.
And remember , your PDA, with its GPS is telling your DOM or the DSM that you are doing the job as requested. Your not spending an hour in the cafe, or spending 15 minutes talking to some old girl about the state of her bunions ! If a deal is not reached by August . I will be voting to go on strike. Or industrial action , what ever our union decide, our fathers and forefathers fought for the the right to strike, to maintain a decent standard of living. It will be hard, but Im afraid what choice do we have. The alternative is frightening!
The drivers come into work 45 mins early to get their van loaded and beat the traffic and to ensure they don't fail any timed deliveries
That's 195 hours of free work the drivers are giving the company every year,,and yet ,when they go sick,,they are hounded to come back to work because,,'we have mountains of failures here and we need your skills,,what a load of utter bollocks
Start at your start time,,finish at your finish time,,take your breaks,,and if it fails,,it fails,,simples really,,
never forget that when the DM smiles at you,,he is not being friendly,,he is smiling at you because he thinks you are a complete simpleton for giving the company your free time,,thank you very much.
-
Bboingg
- Posts: 69
- Joined: 21 Jun 2017, 20:35
- Gender: Male
Unfranked Stamps
Even worse than non-cancelled , is delivering envelopes with sellotaped / glued on 2nd hand stamps that seem to sail through the system.
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Unfranked Stamps
Yes, it's unfortunate that they've not been noticed by Revenue Protection.Bboingg wrote:Even worse than non-cancelled , is delivering envelopes with sellotaped / glued on 2nd hand stamps that seem to sail through the system.
-
bmccoll
- Posts: 190
- Joined: 21 Sep 2015, 22:19
- Gender: Male
Unfranked Stamps
Ive been in the job 30 years and used to cancel unfranked stamps because then it was an oversight. But no more. Royal Mail is now a private company so why should I do the job that someone PRM should employ do?
-
Spedley
- Posts: 1209
- Joined: 16 Jul 2007, 17:32
- Location: Warwickshire
Unfranked Stamps
Big change this week, only cancelled about £10 all week!