ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

New starter

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
St1983
Posts: 21
Joined: 19 Mar 2017, 21:12
Gender: Female

New starter

Post by St1983 »

Hi all,

I've been working a couple weeks and am enjoying the job but not managing to deliver everything which is stressing me out. I dnt think I'm that slow either.I told the manager I cannot complete but he is telling me to just take everything out so I end up bringing loads back which I'm expected to do the next day. So all the post is building up and I just feel really pressured and overworked. Is this normal and how it is?
circles
Posts: 59
Joined: 23 Mar 2010, 08:21
Gender: Male

New starter

Post by circles »

St1983 wrote:Hi all,

I've been working a couple weeks and am enjoying the job but not managing to deliver everything which is stressing me out. I dnt think I'm that slow either.I told the manager I cannot complete but he is telling me to just take everything out so I end up bringing loads back which I'm expected to do the next day. So all the post is building up and I just feel really pressured and overworked. Is this normal and how it is?
Welcome to hell :wave
DiamondSmiles
Posts: 498
Joined: 05 Feb 2009, 20:03
Gender: Male

New starter

Post by DiamondSmiles »

St1983 wrote:Hi all,

I've been working a couple weeks and am enjoying the job but not managing to deliver everything which is stressing me out. I dnt think I'm that slow either.I told the manager I cannot complete but he is telling me to just take everything out so I end up bringing loads back which I'm expected to do the next day. So all the post is building up and I just feel really pressured and overworked. Is this normal and how it is?
Give it time. Two weeks is nothing. You will find you will gradually pick up speed over the next few weeks when you get used to the job. You have a fair bit to learn, nobody can expect you to be up to speed with everyone else so early in your career with RM.
Newbie001
Posts: 474
Joined: 30 May 2014, 17:29
Gender: Male

New starter

Post by Newbie001 »

Takes at least three months to get up to speed. And even then you'll notice, some duties are just impossible to finish on time. Have a word with your rep, if manager is being like this now after few weeks, will only get worse imo.
DirtyHarry
Posts: 5051
Joined: 13 May 2007, 23:16
Gender: Male
Location: London

New starter

Post by DirtyHarry »

St1983 wrote:Hi all,

I've been working a couple weeks and am enjoying the job but not managing to deliver everything which is stressing me out. I dnt think I'm that slow either.I told the manager I cannot complete but he is telling me to just take everything out so I end up bringing loads back which I'm expected to do the next day. So all the post is building up and I just feel really pressured and overworked. Is this normal and how it is?
First off, my commiserations on this being the only job you could get.
Second, some days can be worse than most. Never better, though.
Creditshampoo
Posts: 1189
Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
Gender: Male

New starter

Post by Creditshampoo »

Make sure the manager writes in the diary you are disagreeing with the amount that way you're protected more if you have to bring mail back
South_London_Postie
Posts: 306
Joined: 18 Nov 2016, 19:58
Gender: Male

New starter

Post by South_London_Postie »

Don't stress, You are contracted to work hours not complete walks. Do the job by the book and the scum managers cannot touch you.

Ps- Join the union!
Darren Bent
Posts: 2150
Joined: 05 Oct 2007, 15:38
Gender: Male
Location: Pride Park, Derby, DE24 8XL

New starter

Post by Darren Bent »

Sometimes managers put rookies on bad walks because other won't touch them. You will get better. Managers are unnecessary hassle in first six months.
St1983
Posts: 21
Joined: 19 Mar 2017, 21:12
Gender: Female

New starter

Post by St1983 »

Thanks for the advice guys. Manager said I will get quicker everyday and I should be up to scratch and completing the walk in 2weeks. Today was a killer because of the heat but I didn't push myself too hard, didn't want to collapse or anything. I actually like this job tho, just not the pressure to deliver everything. I did have a good trainer as well on this walk but he says I won't get trained on any other walk I do. Which means I am forever destined to be slow and not complete my walks!? Oh well, maybe in a few years I will be a pro. Enjoy the sunshine fellow posties!
hampshireman
Posts: 792
Joined: 18 Dec 2009, 15:17
Gender: Male

New starter

Post by hampshireman »

St1983 wrote:Thanks for the advice guys. Manager said I will get quicker everyday and I should be up to scratch and completing the walk in 2weeks. Today was a killer because of the heat but I didn't push myself too hard, didn't want to collapse or anything. I actually like this job tho, just not the pressure to deliver everything. I did have a good trainer as well on this walk but he says I won't get trained on any other walk I do. Which means I am forever destined to be slow and not complete my walks!? Oh well, maybe in a few years I will be a pro. Enjoy the sunshine fellow posties!

Your Manager is talking crap.

It does take more that two weeks to be 'up to speed' (and that does not mean that the walk can be done in time)
Seymour Buts
Posts: 1148
Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

New starter

Post by Seymour Buts »

St1983 wrote:Thanks for the advice guys. Manager said I will get quicker everyday and I should be up to scratch and completing the walk in 2weeks. Today was a killer because of the heat but I didn't push myself too hard, didn't want to collapse or anything. I actually like this job tho, just not the pressure to deliver everything. I did have a good trainer as well on this walk but he says I won't get trained on any other walk I do. Which means I am forever destined to be slow and not complete my walks!? Oh well, maybe in a few years I will be a pro. Enjoy the sunshine fellow posties!
You're not being well supported; mail shouldn't be stacking up. Perhaps your office is understaffed because in mine, newbies if they struggle get help to complete.

Just crack on. The two weeks thing is bollox. It took me between 3 to 6 months to get up to speed with everybody else but once you're there you won't won't need training on walks and you'll just pick them up naturally.