I can understand that one of your letters being opened is extremely unusual and cause for concern, but I must have forgotten that we are actually robots who can't make mistakes...
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Abuse from customers
-
camelelf
- Posts: 64
- Joined: 17 Oct 2015, 18:15
- Gender: Male
Abuse from customers
So today I cocked up, misdelivered a letter for the same number on next street. The guy who I posted it to came out to let me know, but had opened the letter. I took it to the correct address and got given quite a bit of abuse, more than I've ever had with two very offensive comments. I was a little surprised by this so just blurted out that it came to us in that state rather than admitting a misdelivery
I can understand that one of your letters being opened is extremely unusual and cause for concern, but I must have forgotten that we are actually robots who can't make mistakes...
I can understand that one of your letters being opened is extremely unusual and cause for concern, but I must have forgotten that we are actually robots who can't make mistakes...
-
Postie45
- Posts: 2160
- Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
- Gender: Male
Abuse from customers
an opened letter should be delivered inside a damaged bag, it shouldnt be delivered opened, i think the customer had a right to be suspicious, and the fact that you lied to them how are they to know it was just an "honest mistake" ? Thats not to say it warrants abuse from them
-
camelelf
- Posts: 64
- Joined: 17 Oct 2015, 18:15
- Gender: Male
Abuse from customers
I know, I shouldn't have lied to them just to save face but I did. I wasn't rude and apologised a couple of times, but after the comments I had to walk away.Postie45 wrote:an opened letter should be delivered inside a damaged bag, it shouldnt be delivered opened, i think the customer had a right to be suspicious, and the fact that you lied to them how are they to know it was just an "honest mistake" ? Thats not to say it warrants abuse from them
-
osgoody1970
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 360
- Joined: 21 Jun 2011, 13:44
- Gender: Male
Abuse from customers
how many of these plastic bags do you take on delivery??? a bit harsh!!!
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72733
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Abuse from customers
I have a handful in each pouch - just in case
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
South_London_Postie
- Posts: 306
- Joined: 18 Nov 2016, 19:58
- Gender: Male
Abuse from customers
Put it down to a lesson learned.
-
greengiant
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1268
- Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
- Gender: Male
Abuse from customers
Although if the IB do a spot check and ask why you have damage bags?TrueBlueTerrier wrote:I have a handful in each pouch - just in case
-
NWpostie
- Posts: 3620
- Joined: 04 Aug 2007, 17:32
- Gender: Male
- Location: Sector 001 Borg Collective, 6 o f 9
Abuse from customers
Assumption is not evidence, I've had such bags I use to keep newspaper dry and loose change amongst other things.greengiant wrote:Although if the IB do a spot check and ask why you have damage bags?TrueBlueTerrier wrote:I have a handful in each pouch - just in casethey could incorrectly assume the worst?
Six of Nine loves Seven of Nine, together in Electric Dreams.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72733
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Abuse from customers
That's Okay it was the manager's suggestion.greengiant wrote:Although if the IB do a spot check and ask why you have damage bags?TrueBlueTerrier wrote:I have a handful in each pouch - just in casethey could incorrectly assume the worst?
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
steve1873
- Posts: 800
- Joined: 08 Oct 2007, 13:55
Abuse from customers
If something like this happens again, even if partly your fault (the misdelivery), then don't go posting an opened item. You are leaving yourself wide open for a legitimate complaint. Simply return it to the DO for delivery the next day inside a damaged item bag. The same goes for any item that suffers damage during delivery for any reason. Or alternatively have a supply of damage bags in van.
-
Seymour Buts
- Posts: 1148
- Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
- Gender: Male
Abuse from customers
I've had it a few times about door to doors.
"THIS HASN'T GOT MY ADDRESS ON IT, I DON'T WANT IT! IT SAYS NO LEAFLETS ON MY DOOR!"
I just bat it off and explain because they haven't got an opt out in I have to treat it as normal post and not delivering it could be classed as withholding mail. Pointless getting into a argument with customers, as I'm sure virtually everybody knows we're always the ones in the wrong if they phone and complain.
On the specific point mentioned here, take it as a lesson learnt. Never deliver mail that has been opened that hasn't been placed in a damage bag.
"THIS HASN'T GOT MY ADDRESS ON IT, I DON'T WANT IT! IT SAYS NO LEAFLETS ON MY DOOR!"
I just bat it off and explain because they haven't got an opt out in I have to treat it as normal post and not delivering it could be classed as withholding mail. Pointless getting into a argument with customers, as I'm sure virtually everybody knows we're always the ones in the wrong if they phone and complain.
On the specific point mentioned here, take it as a lesson learnt. Never deliver mail that has been opened that hasn't been placed in a damage bag.
-
Bella2013
- Posts: 11
- Joined: 29 Nov 2015, 21:50
- Gender: Female
Abuse from customers
I had one come out shouting at me the other day for delivering one of those TalkTalk D2Ds that look like a real letter and have something like 'L.Price Totally Unlimited And then some sort of postcode' he was so annoyed. I don't know why people think they need to shout and be so angry about things surely if it's bad enough to warrant shouting they should just be phoning to complain about us? Even before I was a postie I would never have had a go at my postman for anything. People think because you're doing a job they have a right to speak to you like crap.
-
CPTNemoUK
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 707
- Joined: 03 Oct 2013, 10:13
- Gender: Male
Abuse from customers
I have had the same thing done to me with that D2D. I found it funny though. He came out shouting and swearing saying stop putting wrong mail through my door get your eyes tested. So when i pointed it out to what it actually said, he shut up had a sheepish look on his face and went back in without even apologisingBella2013 wrote:I had one come out shouting at me the other day for delivering one of those TalkTalk D2Ds that look like a real letter and have something like 'L.Price Totally Unlimited And then some sort of postcode' he was so annoyed. I don't know why people think they need to shout and be so angry about things surely if it's bad enough to warrant shouting they should just be phoning to complain about us? Even before I was a postie I would never have had a go at my postman for anything. People think because you're doing a job they have a right to speak to you like crap.
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Abuse from customers
Yes, but NOT for all that loose change falling out of birthday cards.NWpostie wrote:Assumption is not evidence, I've had such bags I use to keep newspaper dry and loose change amongst other things.greengiant wrote:Although if the IB do a spot check and ask why you have damage bags?TrueBlueTerrier wrote:I have a handful in each pouch - just in casethey could incorrectly assume the worst?
-
woopesh
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 230
- Joined: 30 Dec 2015, 22:02
- Gender: Male
Abuse from customers
I didn't understand all the "we will not tolerate abuse of our staff" notices put up everywhere in customer facing roles before becoming a postman. Now I do. A lot of people feel very entitled. I didn't understand how pervasive this mentality was amongst he general public.Bella2013 wrote:I had one come out shouting at me the other day for delivering one of those TalkTalk D2Ds that look like a real letter and have something like 'L.Price Totally Unlimited And then some sort of postcode' he was so annoyed. I don't know why people think they need to shout and be so angry about things surely if it's bad enough to warrant shouting they should just be phoning to complain about us? Even before I was a postie I would never have had a go at my postman for anything. People think because you're doing a job they have a right to speak to you like crap.