ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

paternity annual leave clash

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Bigbaddaddy11
Posts: 7
Joined: 10 Apr 2016, 18:34
Gender: Male

paternity annual leave clash

Post by Bigbaddaddy11 »

became a father on the 13th of april,
with good friday and saturday day off my paternity started the following week.
this week I'm off on annual leave so next week is my second week of paternity.
manager has told me i can't split paternity and has moved my annual leave! (not sure if its before or after paternity)
also i have to bank the two bank holiday mondays, id obviously choose to take them at the end of my leave for extra time at home!!
firstly can he decide without me knowing to move my annual leave,
and secondly can he force me to bank those days??
thanks in advance
number one
Posts: 1324
Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
Gender: Male

paternity annual leave clash

Post by number one »

Shouldn't really be an issue, you are off for 3week I take it? (2 weeks paternity and 1 week holiday) it should just be a paper exercise for your manager. So the first 2 weeks are paternity and the last week holiday. You were down for 3 weeks off so the order matters not as long as the two weeks paternity are together. With regards to the 2 bank holidays these will be added to your annual leave entitlements and will follow the normal holiday procedure that is in place at your office.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72733
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

paternity annual leave clash

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Bigbaddaddy11 wrote:became a father on the 13th of april,
Congrats. This is going to be complicated
Bigbaddaddy11 wrote:with good friday and saturday day off my paternity started the following week.
this week I'm off on annual leave so next week is my second week of paternity.
The 2 weeks paternity leave has to be consecutive - it can't be split.
Bigbaddaddy11 wrote:manager has told me i can't split paternity and has moved my annual leave! (not sure if its before or after paternity)
He is right. http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1806" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
They should say when the baby is due, if they're going to take one or two weeks off, and when they expect their paternity leave to start. Those who are eligible can choose to take either one week or two consecutive weeks' paid paternity leave (not odd days).
Bigbaddaddy11 wrote:also i have to bank the two bank holiday mondays, id obviously choose to take them at the end of my leave for extra time at home!!
Unfortunately, you can ask when to take the 2 days of bank holiday , but they don't have to grant it. However under current agreements, if they can't accommodate your request on bank holidays then you can ask for it to be paid as overtime, or take them in Lieu at an agreed date.
Bigbaddaddy11 wrote:firstly can he decide without me knowing to move my annual leave,
Not usually, but in this case the manager has made it better for you. He could following the rules of paternity leave have cancelled your annual leave and just given you the 2 weeks.
Bigbaddaddy11 wrote:and secondly can he force me to bank those days??
See above you have a choice to take them as Lieu days, or paid as overtime. See your rep if don't want to bank them.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
scorched
Posts: 44
Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 17:40
Gender: Male

paternity annual leave clash

Post by scorched »

I'm in a situation where our baby is due the Wednesday before my 1 in 6 week off, any idea what happens to my week off? Should I get it back in lieu? Or do I just lose it?
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72733
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

paternity annual leave clash

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

scorched wrote:I'm in a situation where our baby is due the Wednesday before my 1 in 6 week off, any idea what happens to my week off? Should I get it back in lieu? Or do I just lose it?
Don't know about 1 in 6 because I haven't worked in an office thats done it. Therefore I can only recommend contacting the local or Area Rep for advice.

Hopefully, someone will post some advice on here for you.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
feduppostie
Posts: 947
Joined: 24 Jun 2007, 19:46

paternity annual leave clash

Post by feduppostie »

regarding the 1 in 6 - if the baby is born just before and you start your paternity then, we have always deferred the rota week off, as paternity can not be split, and started the rota week off at the end of the paternity period, your work schedule would need amending in PSP to reflect this and then changed back afterwards
scorched
Posts: 44
Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 17:40
Gender: Male

paternity annual leave clash

Post by scorched »

Ok great thanks, I will check with the manager tomorrow :)