ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Tuesdays

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
AceMark
Posts: 50
Joined: 08 Feb 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

Tuesdays

Post by AceMark »

Why are Tuesday's so quiet and Wednesday onwards so damn busy? Surely RM would have a solution to this by now. Took me an extra half hour to complete today and that's without prepping d2d's. Yesterday I finished half an hour early and prepped today and Saturdays d2d's???
daveyeff
Posts: 4699
Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 19:38
Gender: Male

Tuesdays

Post by daveyeff »

well ive said it before, I reckon they deliberately hold mail back and sent it out on other days. part of their ''hidden agenda''
plaguelift
Posts: 133
Joined: 19 Apr 2011, 06:16
Gender: Male

Tuesdays

Post by plaguelift »

It was explained to me when I was in our Mail Centre for training. I asked why Tuesdays were so light and I was shown the forecast for the weeks mail. It was the "downstream access" mail forecast (junk mail to you and me). It showed 55,000 items for Monday, 12000 items for Tuesday, 65,000 items for Wednesday and even more for Thursday and Friday, with slightly less on Saturday. So I gathered from that that our work schedule basically depends on junk mail. This os why we have a light Tuesday, less junk mail. It doesn't seem that Royal Mail had any control over the amount coming in (i suppose the more the merrier cos thats where they are making their money) but I thought they would be able to spread the delivery out a bit more so as not to create days where we finish early, and days when we are claiming loads of overtime.
Biker Mouse
Posts: 543
Joined: 19 Oct 2009, 18:37
Gender: Male

Tuesdays

Post by Biker Mouse »

daveyeff wrote:well ive said it before, I reckon they deliberately hold mail back and sent it out on other days. part of their ''hidden agenda''
Anything collected on Saturday is treated as first class so we have no second class posted mail on Tuesday.
daveyeff
Posts: 4699
Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 19:38
Gender: Male

Tuesdays

Post by daveyeff »

i'm on about DSA and other crap they can legally hold on to. not 1st or 2nd class mail.
AceMark
Posts: 50
Joined: 08 Feb 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

Tuesdays

Post by AceMark »

Biker Mouse wrote:
daveyeff wrote:well ive said it before, I reckon they deliberately hold mail back and sent it out on other days. part of their ''hidden agenda''
Anything collected on Saturday is treated as first class so we have no second class posted mail on Tuesday.
Makes sense when you look at it like that. It just looked to me that come Wednesday there was a huge backlog of Mail to work through.
daveyeff wrote:i'm on about DSA and other crap they can legally hold on to. not 1st or 2nd class mail.
DSA was explained to me to be Mail picked up from businesses by DSA companies in competition with RM, which they then pass back on to RM to deliver to their destination for a fee charged by RM to the DSA company. I think it would be illegal for them to hold on to Mail from any of these companies on the basis that they are paying customers and can't be treated less favourably than any other Mail passing through the MC.
daveyeff
Posts: 4699
Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 19:38
Gender: Male

Tuesdays

Post by daveyeff »

our driver from the mc says that time and time again there is cages of mail sitting down thereon Mondays, and does not get touched till later in the week.
sussexlad
Posts: 161
Joined: 28 Oct 2013, 21:52
Gender: Male

Tuesdays

Post by sussexlad »

Also Monday is normally the busiest day collection wise due to all the weekend internet shoppers and the majority of that is sent 2nd class so that's why it mainly hits us on the Wednesday and Misses Tuesday.
Spedley
Posts: 1209
Joined: 16 Jul 2007, 17:32
Location: Warwickshire

Tuesdays

Post by Spedley »

I spoke to an area manager and he spouted a lot of drivel but the gist of what he said was the DSA in totally our of RM control so why even bother finding a solution. That doesn't explain why it has been the case for decades but just accept that Tuesdays are lighter and work it into the schedule.
yubin282
Posts: 993
Joined: 25 Jul 2014, 19:18
Gender: Male

Tuesdays

Post by yubin282 »

What about deferred mail (mail sort 3) does it still exist. I used to see loads of it when i worked in MC but that was a long time ago.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12191
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Tuesdays

Post by SpacePhoenix »

lcook282 wrote:What about deferred mail (mail sort 3) does it still exist. I used to see loads of it when i worked in MC but that was a long time ago.
Virtually all the stuff that comes through as DSA would have once been MS3
steve1873
Posts: 800
Joined: 08 Oct 2007, 13:55

Tuesdays

Post by steve1873 »

daveyeff wrote:i'm on about DSA and other crap they can legally hold on to. not 1st or 2nd class mail.
DSA is to always be treated as first class.
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

Tuesdays

Post by bustedflush »

I remember one Tuesday when I had ONE circular magazine for a 35-call road and NO letters or packets! I was so amazed before bundling I called several pals over to show them! They shook their heads in amazement while calling me a jammy tw*t. I simply dropped it off in the van, sod's law it was right at the far end. Mind you, I know several people who would have conveniently 'lost' the magazine until Wednesday...........
rambo1
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3266
Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
Gender: Male

Tuesdays

Post by rambo1 »

Are most offices doing the usual bank holiday swop Tuesday hrs for Wednesday hrs, thing?
woody38
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 273
Joined: 19 Apr 2016, 08:38
Gender: Male

Tuesdays

Post by woody38 »

When I started RM back in the 80s Monday was the quietest day, the Mail increased through the week.