ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Bank holidays

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
buntin
Posts: 100
Joined: 27 Jul 2011, 13:55
Gender: Male

Bank holidays

Post by buntin »

hes incorrect , you can have whichever option you choose.
nickbsmooth
Posts: 279
Joined: 25 Jan 2013, 14:19
Gender: Male
Location: South East

Bank holidays

Post by nickbsmooth »

I wish i had that option I'm still owed a lieu day from last Easter and we've been told no lieu days will be granted
Sbutts8182
Posts: 136
Joined: 30 Mar 2013, 20:12
Gender: Male

Bank holidays

Post by Sbutts8182 »

dfubster wrote:We have a new DSM apparently and he has said that we cannot have a bank holiday paid as overtime, only as a day in lieu.
What is the sense in this really as we'll get paid for the day in lieu anyway?
Manager in our office has relayed the same message. No overtime to be payed if they don't want the day in lieu then give them another day off in the week and cover it by lapsing another duty.
olilew
Posts: 594
Joined: 19 May 2010, 22:04
Gender: Male

Bank holidays

Post by olilew »

After the debacle I had when I had 11 lieu days in the 'bank' and got laughed at every time I wanted to use some, I now absolutely refuse to be given a day in lieu. I just say pay me or give me another day off. Guess which one I usually get?
"Just take it out and see how you go......."
nickbsmooth
Posts: 279
Joined: 25 Jan 2013, 14:19
Gender: Male
Location: South East

Bank holidays

Post by nickbsmooth »

If an employer gives you X amount of days off a year and this is in writing ie contract.
Are they with in their legal rights to forfeit this time off by not honouring lieu days.
IloveMYredTROLLEY!
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1923
Joined: 02 Apr 2010, 06:54
Gender: Male

Bank holidays

Post by IloveMYredTROLLEY! »

nickbsmooth wrote:If an employer gives you X amount of days off a year and this is in writing ie contract.
Are they with in their legal rights to forfeit this time off by not honouring lieu days.
Basic FT holiday allowance is 22.5 days plus bank holidays, of which there are normally 8 per year. Employment Law dictates we must get 28 days holiday, which can include bank holidays.

My thoughts would be that in the above situation, unless you had to be given 3 or more lieu day credits which they refused to let you use, you would still get your minimum entitlement of 28 days.
nickbsmooth
Posts: 279
Joined: 25 Jan 2013, 14:19
Gender: Male
Location: South East

Bank holidays

Post by nickbsmooth »

IloveMYredTROLLEY! wrote:
nickbsmooth wrote:If an employer gives you X amount of days off a year and this is in writing ie contract.
Are they with in their legal rights to forfeit this time off by not honouring lieu days.
Basic FT holiday allowance is 22.5 days plus bank holidays, of which there are normally 8 per year. Employment Law dictates we must get 28 days holiday, which can include bank holidays.

My thoughts would be that in the above situation, unless you had to be given 3 or more lieu day credits which they refused to let you use, you would still get your minimum entitlement of 28 days.
I don't know but I'm owed 2 days as my leave fell on 2 bank holidays. I'm gonna be owed another 2 days this year so that's 4 now,at this rate I'll be able to retire early
midvillain
Posts: 185
Joined: 15 Feb 2010, 02:26
Gender: Male

Bank holidays

Post by midvillain »

I emailed justsayit about being told you can't have the payment, they said write to them and they will look into it for you.


Gary Redmond
Royal Mail HQ
100 Victoria Embankment
London
EC4Y 0HQ

I don't know how far you'll get, but it's worth a try.
MAILMAN84
Posts: 186
Joined: 04 May 2008, 14:05

Bank holidays

Post by MAILMAN84 »

Can confirm this is a KNOWN trick a lot of DOMs try. Tell you that you HAVE to take the lieu day and then hope you'll forget about them so they can wipe them out end of the year. You can get it paid as hours and tell them you're taking it further if they refuse, they will relent if you put the pressure on.
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32797
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Bank holidays

Post by POSTMAN »

Everything you need to know is in the link below, including a justsayit email...

http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... =1&t=69286" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As per, management are trying it on!
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.