ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Dog bite.

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
magicw
Posts: 111
Joined: 11 May 2013, 14:50
Gender: Male

Dog bite.

Post by magicw »

Bitten by a dog on the hand Monday whilst delivering/ Fingers through the box.

There's no Red dot on the frame ( the system we use to indicate dogs ) no Hazard Warning in the Walk log, I m the float and only deliver to that address infrequently.
I didn't hear the dog and theres nothing external to the property to suggest theres a dog.

I cleaned up the wound as best I could and then reported it to my Lineo on return.

Spent yesterday my rest day getting Tetanus and Wound redressed, Unfortunatley I ve had an allergic reaction to the Antibiotics they put me on.

Rang sick this morning and before I ve even got a call from my Lineo asking whats up / hes saying I ve got to come in that day to see the DOM ( Texted me this at 0700)

I cant ring my doctors to book an appointment until 0800 and when I do they call me back at 0900 telling me to attend my local A and E ,

Told my Lineo this and that I wasn't coming in to see the DOM.

Went to A and E and spent a total of over 6 hours there during which time they put me on a drip.

I just know that tomorrow I m going to get the same text saying I ve got to go in to see the DOM.

The sensible part of me knows this is Bollox ( as per the earlier thread ). My question is ? Seeing as there was nothing in the Walk Log/ on the frame/ I didn't hear or see any indication of a dog before I delvered and I don't deliver there regularly. Can they give me a stage warning or is this an Injury at work

They class it as Trespass so my fault !!!!!!!!
noggin1969
Posts: 1321
Joined: 13 Oct 2009, 17:28
Gender: Male

Dog bite.

Post by noggin1969 »

Get in touch with the union H&S rep ( if in the union ) Tell the DIM you can't make the meeting but he is welcome to visit you at home/hospital bed ( ask him to bring some grapes and a get well card :Very Happy ) you may have a claim even if your fingers went threw the letterbox , the lack of warnings on the fitting and walk log will help this. Keep all receipts etc if you go ahead with a claim.
magicw
Posts: 111
Joined: 11 May 2013, 14:50
Gender: Male

Dog bite.

Post by magicw »

CWU member so okay there.
Not overly concerned about claiming/ just concerned that I m going to get the usual harassment and intimidation from my DOM about taking time off!
Was hoping that the fact that its an injury at work ( Lineo eventually filled out the ERICA next day when I went in after first trip to A and E on my rest day )
Lineo spent most of his time filling out the ERICA telling me it was classed as trespass because fingers went through the box.
As stated though, Nothing in Walk Logs or on frame or external to the property to indicate a dog.
hans solo
Posts: 3288
Joined: 06 Feb 2011, 18:08
Gender: Male

Dog bite.

Post by hans solo »

trespass f**k all
if thats the case i would need to bring back half my delivery :left: :left: :left:
magicw
Posts: 111
Joined: 11 May 2013, 14:50
Gender: Male

Dog bite.

Post by magicw »

That's what I thought. I was only half way through my second loop, should have cut off and gone straight to A and E.
To top it all on the next loop a customer had a go at me knocking on his door rather than ringing the bell with a packet! I Just pointed my blooded hand out to him/ think I would have given him the middle finger if half of it wasn't missing.
bmccoll
Posts: 190
Joined: 21 Sep 2015, 22:19
Gender: Male

Dog bite.

Post by bmccoll »

I'm sick of dogs jumping at letterboxes and trying to grap your hand. I have my own walk so don't really have you're problem but am scunnered at the attitude of the owners letting their dogs run wild in the house. I've been bitten four times in 30 years because of dogs running wild, one was actually in a close while the owner was taking it out for a walk. Another was when the dog bolted out of an open door and tore at my arm. The owner said he was perplexed, but that it had attacked a gas fitter the previous day! Only my loss of blood stopped me from decking him! My credo now is if I know a dog lives at an address... if there is a door open or an expanse of land around the side of the house, I don't go in and endorse the mail accordingly. I once vaulted a high fence to get away from a dog that lived in a converted mansion, the owner had left his door open and all I could see was two red eyes before it lunged at me! Another instance saw a mastiff jump the wall between properties as I came up a drive.
I can laugh at the situations now, my wife made me go for tetanus jags but her face dropped when I was told a previous bite covered it :dance , but it is a serious issue that needs highlighting. A dog bite is no joke.
magicw
Posts: 111
Joined: 11 May 2013, 14:50
Gender: Male

Dog bite.

Post by magicw »

what hacks me off is the management team response. Your fault You Didn't use a posting Peg. As I stated nothing in the walk log/ Frame / or on approach to the property to suggest there was a dog there. Do they really expect us to use a posting peg on every address just in case.

Their only real concern is that I ve taken time off to recover from Injury. and then all they want to do is Harass me back to work. Pretty sure if I d have cut off there and then to receive treatment they would have done me for Wilful Delay.
robbertwhitton
Posts: 1132
Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
Gender: Male

Dog bite.

Post by robbertwhitton »

Sums this outfit up perfectly from what I've read,our safety is no 1 etc blah blah!! they need to back us up from the start,do things correctly and by the book,paperwork,etc then we'd all have a bit more faith in the system,chap at work got bit as the dog put its head through a cat flap and bit him,boss asked him did he use the posting pegg??? He hadn't been issued with one and didn't know what he was on about?!!!,I bet most people don't bother as it's too time consuming! And yes they should,but this company never makes things easy
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

Dog bite.

Post by Postie45 »

its obvious h&s is of little actual concern to RM, they just teach us to do things "safely" and hope we ignore it to actually get the job done, but when something goes wrong they can come back and say "well, we taught you to do it this way" its basically them just covering their arse. :arrrghhh
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72733
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Dog bite.

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Technically the manager is correct it is trespass. But why the flip did they bring it up. That's a legal non-issue and will have a minor effect on any compensation you may claim.

Now there is some responsibility on you to ensure that your fingers don't go through the whole of the letter box, but the greater responsibility is with the Manager to ensure that procedures and risk reduction actions (such as a red dot, warning card, WRAP entry etc) are carried out. There is also a responsibility on the Homeowner to reduce the risk from his pooch to other visitors including you.

Make sure any subsequent meeting you have a rep with you.

As to the Stage issue, yes technically they can issue you with one if the absence takes you over the limits, however, a decent rep should be able to at least plead some mitigation, but ultimately if they do issue it you can raise a grievance, unfortunately, you can't appeal stage 1s and 2s. Also if you do ever reach a stage 3, then it's likely that it will be withdrawn due to them not following the correct procedure for an AOD.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
cpsteve
Posts: 699
Joined: 20 Apr 2016, 15:46
Gender: Male

Dog bite.

Post by cpsteve »

If a dog warning is not in the walk log would the duty holder be in hot water for not putting it in if the dog is not new to the house?.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72733
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Dog bite.

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

cpsteve wrote:If a dog warning is not in the walk log would the duty holder be in hot water for not putting it in if the dog is not new to the house?.

Possibly if there is a history of incidents and close calls. (this falls under the Duty of Care responsibilities that all employees have under common law for other employees).

If its a first instance of any trouble, I wouldn't think so.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
jnob66
Posts: 8
Joined: 13 Dec 2015, 20:21
Gender: Male

Dog bite.

Post by jnob66 »

Not trespass. The law has changed. Dog owners now have a responsibility even on their own property. You need to report the attack to the police and log it at your office. Police will ask you how you want to deal with the dog.