ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Retention of RM Vehicles at Home

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
BeamishStout
Posts: 387
Joined: 19 Sep 2012, 14:42
Gender: Male

Retention of RM Vehicles at Home

Post by BeamishStout »

How many offices still allow it? Ours was informed today that overnight retention will be gone for those that do take vans home. Is this a nationwide cost-cutting exercise (or is it confined to an area or even depot basis) to coincide with the start of the new tax year I wonder? If they are going to be gone from all offices then at least there is a consistency to RM's logic but I doubt this is the case.
nickbsmooth
Posts: 279
Joined: 25 Jan 2013, 14:19
Gender: Male
Location: South East

Retention of RM Vehicles at Home

Post by nickbsmooth »

We lost ours just after Xmas ,we were told this was an instruction from the Directors not at local level.
BeamishStout
Posts: 387
Joined: 19 Sep 2012, 14:42
Gender: Male

Retention of RM Vehicles at Home

Post by BeamishStout »

nickbsmooth wrote:We lost ours just after Xmas ,we were told this was an instruction from the Directors not at local level.
Makes no sense if depots are being instructed at different times of the year! :roll:
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Retention of RM Vehicles at Home

Post by Lounge Lizard »

It was only brought in because Delivery Offices didn't have enough parking spaces for all the vans.
So are they now paying for reserved parking spaces near Delivery Offices instead of us looking after the vans for free ?
daveyeff
Posts: 4699
Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 19:38
Gender: Male

Retention of RM Vehicles at Home

Post by daveyeff »

we've heard nowt. everybody takes them home. not enough room in yard. one bloke even has a 30 mile round trip. nowt said.
BeamishStout
Posts: 387
Joined: 19 Sep 2012, 14:42
Gender: Male

Retention of RM Vehicles at Home

Post by BeamishStout »

daveyeff wrote:we've heard nowt. everybody takes them home. not enough room in yard. one bloke even has a 30 mile round trip. nowt said.
Which makes me think that cessation of vehicle retention (in our LDO) is not being done because of some 'national directive' but rather due to area/LDO cost-cutting directive. There is no way that all our vehicles can be locked away safely behind the locked gates.... :crazy:

NEWS FLASH : RM shares have increased by 1.3% as the markets now know they are serious about cost-cutting :chuckle
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Retention of RM Vehicles at Home

Post by fishtank »

They are looking at "unofficial" retention which seems to be quite widespread,management turning a blind eye to people taking vans home without going through the retention process, I've also heard that they're looking at capping the distance, 8 miles was mentioned I think.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
Bahia Feliz
Posts: 1169
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 21:04
Gender: Male

Retention of RM Vehicles at Home

Post by Bahia Feliz »

fishtank wrote: I've also heard that they're looking at capping the distance, 8 miles was mentioned I think.
I'm safe then :nana
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Retention of RM Vehicles at Home

Post by Lounge Lizard »

fishtank wrote:They are looking at "unofficial" retention which seems to be quite widespread,management turning a blind eye to people taking vans home without going through the retention process, I've also heard that they're looking at capping the distance, 8 miles was mentioned I think.
Er, yes, because it would only be a taxable employee benefit if retention was "official". :crazy: I understand. :thumbup
bmccoll
Posts: 190
Joined: 21 Sep 2015, 22:19
Gender: Male

Retention of RM Vehicles at Home

Post by bmccoll »

Our yard is too small for all the vans we need so overnight retention suited RM. However if you don't have a car there is also next to no public transport to get in for a 6.30 start, so is this in fact a precursor to later starts/later finishes?